Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Wow! Sorry to hear that. I love it up there but the days of watching herds run around appear to be gone.

Leave a comment:

• huntsman6x6
    replied
    We floated the Adigan river to the Sag on the 25-28 of Aug. After 38 river miles and two mating bears running us off our camping spot. I think they were posturing for the caribou migration to the South. We did not see one caribou on the trip. We glassed hard for four days. Hope they are migrating by the 25th of Sep!

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    If you have never been up it is a must do trip for Alaska. I usually plan on one day of driving from Fairbanks, each way dependent on how far North you want to go. There are places to fish along the way and places of interest. It is 750ish miles from my place to the end of the highway. That takes two days but I have done it in one. My partner had to be at work the next day after we were flown out form a sheep hunt. Did a shower (first in nine days) and meal at the man camp, left at 10 p.m. and made it home by the afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• iyouktug
    replied
    I wouldn’t mind teaming up one of these days with a fellow forum member for a 4 day trip up yonder.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by AKfowler View Post
    We had one flat tire. Saw more small vehicles north of Atigun than I've ever seen before; one looked like an old 2wd saturn sedan!
    I learned a long time ago that "E" rated tires were the only tires. A sedan has probably a B or a C rating.

Leave a comment:

• AKfowler
    replied
    Surprised there's not more activity on this thread. I was up there for a few days the first week of September. Didn't see any caribou until we were north of Happy Valley. Over our three days, we saw maybe 30 cows/calves and eight bulls. Two of the bulls were just off the road, the rest were in a bachelor group about a mile and a half off the road. I'm sure there were more around, but no substantial herd movement. We hunted west of the road. Didn't see too many hunters, and didn't see a single one off the road. We counted five visible caribou hitching a ride south in truck beds.

Also, the road was great to Coldfoot and the paved portion immediately after, but north of Atigun was a bit rough at times. We had one flat tire. Saw more small vehicles north of Atigun than I've ever seen before; one looked like an old 2wd saturn sedan!
    Last edited by AKfowler; 09-14-2020, 14:12. Reason: road condition report

Leave a comment:

• Roger45
    replied
    I was at Screaming Eagle the other day and was told they had just had a client whose group limited out in eight hours. Saw 'bou from Happy Valley to Franklin Bluffs. No report on the road though. Lots of them around DH this time of year, in the no hunting zone.

Leave a comment:

• alaskariverguy
    started a topic 2020 haul road caribou hunt thread

2020 haul road caribou hunt thread

Anyone been up the haul road yet? I’ll be heading up in about a week or so and hoping to get some news on the caribou and road conditions

Thanks!

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X