2020 haul road caribou hunt thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 haul road caribou hunt thread

Anyone been up the haul road yet? I’ll be heading up in about a week or so and hoping to get some news on the caribou and road conditions

Thanks!

I was at Screaming Eagle the other day and was told they had just had a client whose group limited out in eight hours. Saw 'bou from Happy Valley to Franklin Bluffs. No report on the road though. Lots of them around DH this time of year, in the no hunting zone.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

Surprised there's not more activity on this thread. I was up there for a few days the first week of September. Didn't see any caribou until we were north of Happy Valley. Over our three days, we saw maybe 30 cows/calves and eight bulls. Two of the bulls were just off the road, the rest were in a bachelor group about a mile and a half off the road. I'm sure there were more around, but no substantial herd movement. We hunted west of the road. Didn't see too many hunters, and didn't see a single one off the road. We counted five visible caribou hitching a ride south in truck beds.

Also, the road was great to Coldfoot and the paved portion immediately after, but north of Atigun was a bit rough at times. We had one flat tire. Saw more small vehicles north of Atigun than I've ever seen before; one looked like an old 2wd saturn sedan!
      Last edited by AKfowler; 2 weeks ago. Reason: road condition report

Comment

Originally posted by AKfowler View Post
        We had one flat tire. Saw more small vehicles north of Atigun than I've ever seen before; one looked like an old 2wd saturn sedan!
        I learned a long time ago that "E" rated tires were the only tires. A sedan has probably a B or a C rating.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I wouldn’t mind teaming up one of these days with a fellow forum member for a 4 day trip up yonder.

Comment

If you have never been up it is a must do trip for Alaska. I usually plan on one day of driving from Fairbanks, each way dependent on how far North you want to go. There are places to fish along the way and places of interest. It is 750ish miles from my place to the end of the highway. That takes two days but I have done it in one. My partner had to be at work the next day after we were flown out form a sheep hunt. Did a shower (first in nine days) and meal at the man camp, left at 10 p.m. and made it home by the afternoon.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

We floated the Adigan river to the Sag on the 25-28 of Aug. After 38 river miles and two mating bears running us off our camping spot. I think they were posturing for the caribou migration to the South. We did not see one caribou on the trip. We glassed hard for four days. Hope they are migrating by the 25th of Sep!

Comment

Wow! Sorry to hear that. I love it up there but the days of watching herds run around appear to be gone.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X