2019 Haul Road Caribou thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjign View Post
    Anybody been up the highway I seen it had water running over it south of Coldfoot and shoulder damage? Be heading up the 18th or 19th
    Its very rough in a 40 mile section between Baker (mi 90 Dalton) all the way until you get over Gobblers knob mi 132. After that it is not too too bad I would say. You can glass and glass for miles and every great once in a while see one lonely caribou in the distance surrounded by fields and fields of tussocks that look oh so inviting. I was in the K-dub so unfortunately wasnít able to make any moves but debating whether or not I want to make a trip back up with my one week off.

Comment

Iím on the Dalton right now

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
        Iím on the Dalton right now
        Had the glass on a couple Bulls right around 4 miles in from the highway, wish they would of been a little bit further out but other than that just a couple cows and one small 1.5 year old feeding alongside the road. Another group of hunters I talked to had seen a few across the sag but they didnít attempt inflating their raft as it was late in the evening. The rain and fog is really starting to settle in so I might just mosey on south.

Comment

thanks for the updates.

Comment

Anyone have any new updates from up north? I've been watching the weather up there, hopefully it starts cooling off a little more. I'll be headed up Aug 30th for a week and a half.

Comment

Just back from a quick trip. We went all the way to Deadhorse, road is in horrible shape after the pass, had a lot of rain and fog, only saw ONE group of six cows/calves running like antelope. Good luck to anyone else heading up, surely your trip will be more fruitful than ours.

Comment

posted this on haul road thread in hunting forum ...figured this thread should see the same info

Got back Sunday from a week on the Haul road (August 30 to Sept 7) saw cows/calves and small bulls, not a ton but enough to make several stalks. from 2 to 6 per day. Granted I was hosting a first timer and we were definitely not looking for trophy animals. He shot a bull and was happy about it. It was 70 degrees for 2 or 3 days and other days were 60's. we took time to cast dry flies to fat grayling as a diversion to the heat and slow caribou movement. We saw 6 different griz, musk ox of course and 2 moose cows. it was a good trip for me despite not harvesting a critter. It was good to spend time with a family member who I did not know very well...nothing like the outdoors to set the stage to build a friendship or family relationship!
                I have seen the road in worse condition...at least there were no bugs

Comment

This is the only one we got in 10 days back in August.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1E7C1338-6EFF-4671-81D5-A71F20800AE0.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	2502146

Comment

Thanks for sharing!!! I can't wait to chase Caribou!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X