2018 Haul Road Caribou Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
    Nope, like I said the meat itself was perfectly fine....all of it. I killed it with snow on the ground and then it cleared off that night, got down below freezing and chilled the meat to the bone. Stayed almost ice cold right on up to when I cut it up. Even the burger chunks stayed ice cold in the fridge. I know had I taken the time to rinse the blood off the burger chunks it would have been fine like all the rest of it. That gamey flavor it got was from all that blood I grinded into the meat. Again, we ate it, but it was less than I would call "ideal"....
    I appreciate the feedback and I see your point here. Definitely will have to keep that issue in mind if Iím lucky enough to score one of these October bulls.

Comment

For the folks that have had good meat or bad meat in October, I HAVE A QUESTION!!! How long after the kill did your meat get below 35 F in temperature??? If meat starts to or does freeze before natural rigor sets in, that alone can cause meat to be extremely tough as well as taint the taste. If it stays "thawed" for something like 20-72 hours I hear that is "Better" for the final outcome of the meat. Just curious on personal experiences. Thanks
      "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

I know what you're saying about meat freezing before rigor. They also claim the same with fish. But believe me, when it comes to caribou, it has nothing to do with what temp. the meat was kept at. It's the amount of hormones raging through the animal. And like I said, each bull will be different during different times during the rut.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

My experience went like this. 3 of us drive north. We find a place to pull off of the road and start the death march. We set up a quick camp by a knoll and start hiking beyond that. We find the first bou and get him dead. Decent bull, not huge but decent, 3-4 cows with him. As we were working on him we look up and another smaller (antlers were 2 1/2 feet long probably) bull by himself is looking at us. I say if he's still there when we are done with this one ill shoot him. He's still there so i shoot him. I was cold that night but i don't know how cold. I do know that when I boiled maybe 8 oz of water that night to do some dishes it was too hot at first to touch then when i set it aside for less than 5 mins it had chilled to frozen solid. Dead to skinned on both of those bulls was probably an hour. The next morning we had a big bull run past camp with no chance of a shot. We looked to where he came from thinking wolf or bear or an even bigger bull had kicked his butt. Sure enough we found a herd of 20-30 cows and a really big bull. That bull came home with us. Even before we opened that one up i was covering my nose. Heck i covered my nose while taking pics of it! It was bad! So dead to frozen on that one was NOT at all the issue. Rut was!! The first 2 we ate ok. The small one was most edible, the next was eh.. the last one we tried a variety of things to make it so we could choke it down. All i can say is we screwed up and i wont make that mistake again. I strongly urge you to stay away from bulls this time of year. I maintain that anyone that "hunts for meat" isn't hunting the haul road right now and for another 2-3 weeks, the bulls are rutting. You don't hunt big bulls for meat on the haul road in October. You're head hunting. You're kidding yourself if you think you are. Maybe Strangerinastrangeland will chime in. He eats a lot of bou.

Comment

More hunters up here right now than my two August trips and one September trip combined. Haven't seen a caribou yet, drove the whole road twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Muche View Post
              More hunters up here right now than my two August trips and one September trip combined. Haven't seen a caribou yet, drove the whole road twice.
              Maybe work the area between Franklin bluffs and pump station 2 with a good set of glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger45 View Post
                For the folks that have had good meat or bad meat in October, I HAVE A QUESTION!!! How long after the kill did your meat get below 35 F in temperature??? If meat starts to or does freeze before natural rigor sets in, that alone can cause meat to be extremely tough as well as taint the taste. If it stays "thawed" for something like 20-72 hours I hear that is "Better" for the final outcome of the meat. Just curious on personal experiences. Thanks
                If you can leave the hide on, a caribou won't freeze for a couple days at even 0F. My daughter in-law shot a caribou in January off the Denali highway on a Friday.. gutted it and took it to Alpine Creek where it sat in a sled for two days, then in the back of my truck for two more days at -20F. We finally thawed and processed it a week later. Best caribou meat we've ever had.
                Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X