No announcement yet.

Mechanicals for elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tagged an AK Elk two weeks ago at 35 yds with Afflictor mechanical broadhead, it worked great! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00491.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2501322

Comment

Two blade works best for me and tend to go between rather than thru ribs. Never shot a moose but did have the pleasure of hunting big Russian hogs while stationed in Turkey in the mid 70's and at that time I used an old Bear 2 wheel compound at about 50lbs, alum (2119 I think) Easton arrow and a very sharp Bear two blade...worked good on the 2 I killed with the bow. An 870 with slugs gives a better feeling up close. Biggest was over 200 kilo and the ribs were over 3 feet long...lot of fun hunting back then.
      Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Do you know what broad head works best? The one that flies the best out of your bow...the one that is sharp....the one that hits behind the shoulder.

Comment

There is beauty in simplicity. I avoid mechs in Alaska for that simple reason. Stuff always goes wrong on remote hunts. Eliminating things that can go wrong will help turn a hunt into a harvest. Add a bunch of moving parts and pieces to a broadhead, and you add a bunch of things that can fail. Make sure your arrow is spined right for your bow, and spend the time it takes. I use Montec g5's on carbon shafts with full fletching, and love them.

Comment

I would shy away from mechanical heads - called in a bull for my buddy in CO and after a well placed broadside shot at 40 yards, 0 penetration (blades did not deploy as intended), and a couple unsuccessful days of searching I have yet to see anything but a fixed blade in his quiver.

Mechanicals will work most of the time but fixed heads will work all of the time.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X