X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• willphish4food
    replied
    Originally posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    At this point it will take luck right now. The snow/ice is so noisy there is no way to stalk one. 3 moose on Tuesday (no closer than 80 yds through the brush) and 1 bull on Wednesday (at 125 yds). So if anyone has any ideas I am all ears..
    try talking your way into them. tending grunts every so often, slow steps lots of pauses, break twigs occasionally like a browsing moose. be amazed!

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Good Luck to you!
    At this point it will take luck right now. The snow/ice is so noisy there is no way to stalk one. 3 moose on Tuesday (no closer than 80 yds through the brush) and 1 bull on Wednesday (at 125 yds). So if anyone has any ideas I am all ears..

Leave a comment:

• AKluvr95
    replied
    Good Luck to you!
    Congrats on your moose. I have been hunting for 11 days so far. Passed on cow/calf on day one and saw 3 today but no shot. I have put miles in on both sides of the highway. Back at it in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]82502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82503[/ATTACH] Hunted 5 days and connected with an average cow Friday in TA 429. Was about a mile from the truck and the wife helped haul the quarters in two loads. Like everyone said, the limited snow was crunchy. The recent fresh snow was great to help quite things down a bit but short lived. As temps reached 38 degrees Thursday and things began to melt then re-freeze Thursday night it was nearly as crunchy as the first week. This is my first year getting this permit after being in Alaska 11 years. Seems the moose were well scattered as I put on some significant miles in several training areas over the course of 5 days hunting hard all daylight hours.

Congrats on your moose. I have been hunting for 11 days so far. Passed on cow/calf on day one and saw 3 today but no shot. I have put miles in on both sides of the highway. Back at it in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• AKluvr95
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Moose.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2493453Click image for larger version

Name:	Hauling Moose.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2493454 Hunted 5 days and connected with an average cow Friday in TA 429. Was about a mile from the truck and the wife helped haul the quarters in two loads. Like everyone said, the limited snow was crunchy. The recent fresh snow was great to help quite things down a bit but short lived. As temps reached 38 degrees Thursday and things began to melt then re-freeze Thursday night it was nearly as crunchy as the first week. This is my first year getting this permit after being in Alaska 11 years. Seems the moose were well scattered as I put on some significant miles in several training areas over the course of 5 days hunting hard all daylight hours.

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I hope you guys score. My experience is that the snow moves them down. Supposed to start snowing again. I had the best success towards the end of the season. When do the permits expire?
    We have until Jan 15 to hunt.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    I hope you guys score. My experience is that the snow moves them down. Supposed to start snowing again. I had the best success towards the end of the season. When do the permits expire?

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Roger45 View Post
    The guy you talked with at the bridge...bushy moustache.
    :topjob:
    That is what I thought. Heading out in a couple mins. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Roger45
    replied
    Not my knife. But if I hear of one being lost I will have then look on here and describe it to you. You parking by Ship Creek or coming in from the Muldoon Areas? And all the sign I am seeing is old also.
    The guy you talked with at the bridge...bushy moustache.

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Roger45 View Post
    I have been hunting 425 as well...tons of sign, but not fresh. I also found a knife in the trail...let me know what it is and I will get it back to you...
    Not my knife. But if I hear of one being lost I will have then look on here and describe it to you. You parking by Ship Creek or coming in from the Muldoon Areas? And all the sign I am seeing is old also.

Leave a comment:

• Roger45
    replied
    I have been hunting 425 as well...tons of sign, but not fresh. I also found a knife in the trail...let me know what it is and I will get it back to you...

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    I scored yesterday on a big cow. She was the fattest moose I have ever seen. We have been working 425 most. But as said before snow is very loud. I found this girl bedded in some trees off Bulldog midday. When I called in I was told that was only the second moose taken so far. Now just have to get her in the freezer and find one for my hunting partner. Good Luck to everyone.
    Congrats on you moose. I have been hunting 425 myself. I know I have found about a dozen beds, but nothing in them.. I heard that there might have been another one taken today but don't know for sure. Maybe I am doing this hunt all wrong. I have been sitting in an area waiting for a moose to cross on of the trails. That mile and half hike every day is not doing my back or knees much good. But tomorrow is another day.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    Been in there from shooting light to shooting lite for the most part. Was told they only allowed about 40% of the hunters to take there vehicles in to collect there moose. Did you walk the roads, sit in an area and wait or drive the North side?
    We walked the roads, but also hunted places we could drive into.

Leave a comment:

• Halibut Chaser
    replied
    Thanks Juli.

Leave a comment:

• JuliW
    replied
    Originally posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    I scored yesterday on a big cow. She was the fattest moose I have ever seen. We have been working 425 most. But as said before snow is very loud. I found this girl bedded in some trees off Bulldog midday. When I called in I was told that was only the second moose taken so far. Now just have to get her in the freezer and find one for my hunting partner. Good Luck to everyone.
    Congrats on filling your tag! Gotta like a freezer full of moose! Good luck to your partner!

AKGrumpy, hope you are also able to connect!

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X