Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broad heads

just wondering what is every ones favorite broad head is, and why

In my short (2 yrs) bowhunting career... I use montecs G5's (100 gr) - like them so far, except they don't have a razor edge and apparently are not supposed to (which is really weird!) also wish they had a little bigger cutting diameter. Have killed 2 whitetails and 5 pigs with them. I am thinking about switching to the montecs with replaceable blades as they look really sharp and have a little bigger cutting diameter...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Montec G5 too, 100 grainers...I like the one solid piece 3 bladed broadhead, killed a couple moose and black bears in the past and just recently a really nice Griz. these broadheads work well for me, so I didn't bother trying anything else, I'm sure others have worked as well.

Comment

Pretty close to the Monotec I shoot Magnus Stainless Steel Snuffers. Same basic design though. No moving parts, nothing to fail and they blow through everything.

As far as sharpness..... I do it. The only blades I have ever found sharp enough to hunt with out of the box were the newer Slick Tricks.

Sitting on the boat waiting for a bite? Take the broadheads along, fletch arrows, sharpen knifes.....

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          As far as sharpness..... I do it. The only blades I have ever found sharp enough to hunt with out of the box were the newer Slick Tricks.
          Long ago when I hunted with a recurve (took about a 15 yr break from bow hunting) I always got my broadheads as sharp as I could. When I tried sharpening the montecs, I found it near impossible..Yes, you can get them a little sharper out of the box, and certainly put a new edge on them if they've been used...but the angle of the cutting edge is such that it is impossible to get a razor sharp edge, even following the company's sharpening guidelines. Still, I got a two for one arrow killing shot on pigs and pass through on one deer, near pass through on the other (fairly sharp quartering to) with them. I do wish they had a larger cutting diameter.

Watched a video last night that tested the newer 'clover leaf' type broadhead..toxic broadhead I think....crazy...might be worth investigating a little more.
          Taxidermy IS art!
          www.alaskawildliferugs.com
          Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Been using Slick Trick Magnums 100 gn. They are super sharp out of the box and you can get replacement blades. The other nice thing is they fly exactly like target points so no messing around when going to the hunt mode. Have taken a couple moose with them and they worked great.

Comment

thanks for the info guys. trying to decide on a new broad head. i have used the g5, thunderhead 100 and 125 and fixed two blade. i always trying to find one that flys like target points.

Comment

I ve been shooting g5 montecs for 9 years. 3 bou and 1 grizz. All but one were complete passthroughs out of the box w/o any extra sharpening (couple shots per animal) including shattering the shoulder blade on one bou and still completely going through. The far shoulder blade on the grizz stopped the arrow but the broad head was lodged so deep it took a bit of work to get it out. I'm hooked. I did buy a set of the toxic broadheads to try them out. They look wicked.

Comment

100gr T-locks : 9 black bears and 1 big bull caribou, all pass throughs.

Comment

I have been shooting muzzy 125 grain 3 blade broad heads since the mid 1990's. They have performed well on 2 elk, 2 moose, 3 caribou, 4 whitetails, and a black bear. I don't bowhunt as much as I used to but I see no reason to change away from a broad head that has never let me down. I still shoot aluminum arrows and an Oneida bow too so you should consider my opinion to be a bit dated. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by safari View Post
                      I have been shooting muzzy 125 grain 3 blade broad heads since the mid 1990's. They have performed well on 2 elk, 2 moose, 3 caribou, 4 whitetails, and a black bear. I don't bowhunt as much as I used to but I see no reason to change away from a broad head that has never let me down. I still shoot aluminum arrows and an Oneida bow too so you should consider my opinion to be a bit dated. Lol

Not really, I shoot an Oneida too and your set up is lethal. I use a 475 grain arrow and usually Thunderheads.
                      In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
                      Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by safari View Post
                        I am also shooting aluminum arrows and muzzy broad heads and have been since mid 90s with complete success. Hard to change when it works .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

got tired of sharpening. Got tired of blood trailing Decided to go with these instead.

http://theactionelite.com/2012/11/th...rrow-head-set/

Comment

Originally posted by TradBow View Post
                            got tired of sharpening. Got tired of blood trailing Decided to go with these instead.

http://theactionelite.com/2012/11/th...rrow-head-set/
                            I have to get some of those. I could shoot AND gut my deer at the same time!
                            When I first started bowhunting there were poison pod tips. Sucsynilchlolinecloride [sic?] was the drug [I think]. Supposedly made animals die quickly.

Comment

I use 125gr Shuttle T-locks. I've found them to be field point accurate out to 70yds. I'm sure they can go father but I'm out of pins. On top of CE Piledrivers out of a 70lb Bowtech Destroyer 350

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X