Have to leave bait sight for a week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to leave bait sight for a week

I am leaving state and will not have any attention to my site in a little over a week. I have not done much baiting but was wondering if the bears eat all my bait, as I am expecting, will they return when I start filling the site again upon return?

They should unless there other baits close by that get re filled more regularly. Just put out some extra bait before you go and you should be good to go especially if you are leaving soon. It is still early in the season. Bears up this way are just waking up.

Comment

Have the barrel filled with 200 lbs of dog food/cob mix.
      Have had bear activity, but not much yet.

Comment

im in wasilla, have bear bait cert and would be happy to check in on it once or twice if necessary as long as its not to far out. PM if interested. Bud
        Wasilla

Comment

What is the point of that? If it is empty its empty you cannot re bait it for him. A week isnt bad most people only make it to their stands weekly anyways you happen to live right by your stand and can check it a few times a week. With gas prices the way they are I will be lucky to make it out weekly.

Comment

Check the regs..you can only bait another's site if you both have registered the same location (unless your in a predator control zone). A weeks time to let your bait sit isn't that bad (especially early in the season) - give them something extra and hang a Bait Em 907 bait ball, some scent drips and put some black death around your bait site. The extra effort is worth it and will keep scent around when the baits gone until you can return.
            "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Comment

Ive let my bait go dry for 2 weeks before and had bears back on it in 2 days once i started again. If there are bears around they wil come back.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
                Check the regs..you can only bait another's site if you both have registered the same location (unless your in a predator control zone). A weeks time to let your bait sit isn't that bad (especially early in the season) - give them something extra and hang a Bait Em 907 bait ball, some scent drips and put some black death around your bait site. The extra effort is worth it and will keep scent around when the baits gone until you can return.

yeah dont listen to this guy OR you may end up in trouble

pg 27 from the regs. " ONLY THE PERSON WHO REGISTERS THE SITE MAY PLACE BAIT OR OTHERWISE MAINTAIN THE SITE"

does NOT say only the person who resisters the site and anyone he throws on the sign.

Comment

Ok, I'll play. BSJ, is it possible that 2 guys can register the same location independently, and thus place each of their own bait station permits at the same site? I am not looking at the regs, so do you see anything to prohibit that? If not, then how is AO wrong since he did specifically note separate registration, not adding a person's name to a permit? Maybe AO found a way around the rule that is legal?
                  And to add another twist, could they each not have the others name added to their permit just to double confound things?
                  ARR

Comment

This has been discussed before - regardless a weeks time is not a big deal.
                    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post

What is black death????

Comment

Originally posted by arrow99508 View Post
                        What is black death????
                        Black death is a baitem 907 product I think it's amwatermproof tar like scent in anise you smear around your site.

Comment

If they registered separately that means that they re using their OWN barrel not just one and could only re bait their barrel. I am not a trooper but the regs are very straight forward about it. If there is a loophole great until then rules is rules.

Comment

I've talked to ADFG about this. All you have to do to have a partner bait is have the partner register for a bait site using the same exact coordinates/location, at least thats what they told me to allow my hunting partner to bait. But to get back on topic, your site should be fine sitting for a week, just stock it full before you leave. Helps to have strong scent around to keep them around as well i.e. Baitem 907 scent products.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsj425 View Post
                              yeah dont listen to this guy OR you may end up in trouble

pg 27 from the regs. " ONLY THE PERSON WHO REGISTERS THE SITE MAY PLACE BAIT OR OTHERWISE MAINTAIN THE SITE"

does NOT say only the person who resisters the site and anyone he throws on the sign.
                              You can register more than one guy to a stand. I've gone in and done it before.
                              Nice try though.
                              "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X