X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skybust
    replied
    Originally posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I don't care if they require it but they saved all my gps info from last year and just printed me out my permits after checking my license.very easy and convenient. I see no reason for them to not at least give you a 5 day or so grace period to give them gps or directions so you can register set up and not have to make any unnecessary trips out before putting out your bait. Especially with these fuel prices and lots of us driving long distances combined with boat truck and atv fuel.
    fishingyoda didnt think you were accusing sorry if I came across wrong what I was trying to say is I agree. Chris

Leave a comment:

• ProHunterAK
    replied
    haha no worries Im not too hard up if I get random phone calls now you owe me a trip to my bait station (sent you the cords for it earlier)

Leave a comment:

• fishingyoda
    replied
    i gotta stop using my iphone as a computer its too small and i have no idea how i ended up with a complete phone number by trying to type the letters gps any help i cant seem to find how to edit?

Leave a comment:

• ProHunterAK
    replied
    HAHAHA YODA!!! I think your post is a bit jacked up your GPS

FIX IT OR ALL YOUR STATIONS BELONG TO ME :P

Leave a comment:

• fishingyoda
    replied
    I wasn't accusing you

I don't care if they require it but they saved all my gps info from last year and just printed me out my permits after checking my license.very easy and convenient. I see no reason for them to not at least give you a 5 day or so grace period to give them gps or directions so you can register set up and not have to make any unnecessary trips out before putting out your bait. Especially with these fuel prices and lots of us driving long distances combined with boat truck and atv fuel.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 04-13-2011, 21:07.

Leave a comment:

• skybust
    replied
    I agree I dont have a problem giving it once I have the spot changing location one I have the spot Ill call and give them like you I have nothing to hide

Leave a comment:

• fishingyoda
    replied
    That's what they told me too

Originally posted by skybust View Post
    Ok not that Im against giving GPS but I started thinking about it and I have never gave any when I got my bait permit I hunt up by susitna landing so I called fish and game the only place you have to give gps coordinates is in the preditor control area.

I gave them anyways easy and nothing to hide

Leave a comment:

• skybust
    replied
    Ok not that Im against giving GPS but I started thinking about it and I have never gave any when I got my bait permit I hunt up by susitna landing so I called fish and game the only place you have to give gps coordinates is in the preditor control area.

Leave a comment:

• Erik in AK
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The only thing those last two sentences indicate is paranoia. They are not a valid argument against providing ADF&G an accurate description of where your bait stand is located.
    This statement begs another question: What is the legal definition of accurate? More specifically, how close does the coordinates you give ADF&G have to be? I'm not implying intent to deceive but what if a trooper goes to check up on a stand and his GPS puts him 50 or 100 yards off of where your GPS says your stand is?

I believe the MOE on civil GPS is 5 meters. Will that be the lagal standard? How far is too far?

Also, this reg should be amended to give the baiter a set number of days to report his/her coordinates AFTER the bait is set. I know from my own experience, while I may have pre-selected a general area I don't know exactly where my spot is until I see it.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanOutdoorsman
    replied
    Originally posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    How has Google Earth not been able to give you coordinates? Google Earth covers all of Alaska. All you have to do is put your mouse pointer over the location and it shows the coordinates on the bottom of the screen. Not difficult. Like I said before, I don't agree with it but it isn't difficult. Everyone complaining about having to buy a GPS or can't get the grid for some reason are just using that as an excuse to complain. To me that isn't the issue, it's the issue that F&G doesn't NEED the exact coordinates. Go on Google Earth, get a CLOSE coordinate, give it to F&G and call it a day. If they figure your coordinates are off by 100 meters or so (or seconds, minutes if using Lat/Long) I don't think you will get arrested for poor map reading skills. Nothing in the reg says how to obtain the coordinates, actually standing on the ground and saving a waypoint to GPS, pulling it from a map or using Google Earth, Bing maps or any of about 10 other programs on the internet.
    Google Earth works if the maps are updated and available for the location you have interest in - some area's contain good resolution maps while others are nothing but a blur making it impossible to zoom in and be used for a stand's coordinates or 'scouting' for cabins, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    I tried to Google Earth my stand and my house. Lots of luck with that. You could not tell within 1/2 of a mile where either was.

Leave a comment:

• ProHunterAK
    replied
    Originally posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm in that camp where I think this is a GREAT idea. First, LE can use the coordinates and determine easily if the bait station is legally off the road the required distance. And, they won't have to waste time looking for a station.

Second, I think that it should be public info. The public has a right to know where people are baiting bears. I'd like to see a website that has all the active bait stations listed, so fair chase hunters can avoid heavily baited areas, as the bears will be out of normal patterns, and will be eating donuts out of a barrel, rather than grass on a beach, etc.
    Problem with your idea with a "mass composition of info open to the public" is you will have poachers sitting on or just outside someone else bait site. I understand F&G's thought process for this but I also do not fully agree. It is bad enough for people on limited time and budgets (like myself) to get things going for our stations but the multiple trips before I will be able to even drop a morsel of bait will be over 200.00 just in fuel. For me that is roughly 1/4 my paycheck for 2 weeks. then I have to worry about my info being out there (got 2 things going for me for the "I hate" groups.. I am military, and a hunter and I catch enough **** as it is just for being in the military). I just think the "approx area I will be baiting" should be pretty sufficient for them but sooner or later its going to get ugly where the hunter will be required to have video footage of all kills via F&G cameras (ok maybe not this.) I just want to have a nice, relaxing time in the woods uninterrupted while I hunt. just my .02 cents

Leave a comment:

• Marc Taylor
    replied
    I have a real PROBLEM with alot of things, unfortunately, this is not one of them... ;-]]

I operate a clean site and don't mind being found if a Trooper or Fed wants to stop in to inspect my bait site. I don't get too spun up when they drop in on my caribou camp in mid-afternoon, so I don't really have a problem with them having a grid to my bait.

I did get a visit last year, in my absence, and would never have known except for the image on my game camera.

Utilizing a bait site allows me a better chance at thinning out a black bear or two over spot-and-stalk technique alone. With added privilege comes a little added regulation and probably a little added enforcement as well.

As long as I'm not harassed by enforcers I'm okay with them visiting every once in a while. Heck, they may find me gutted at the base of my tree one day before the brownie circles back to drag me off. Then, at least my wife could sell my titanium rod in my leg on Ebay and some good could come from the whole mess. That rod cost me $12,000 a couple years back...

LOL

Taylor

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanOutdoorsman
    replied
    In a perfect world, yes an on-line mapping database would be a highly effective tool. In reality, I doubt we will ever see it - I doubt F&G would ever allocate resources for such a project. I've been logging GPS coordinates, cabins, etc (including the 1 mile cabin rule) in in Goggle Earth for the Yetna/Big Su/Deshka region and have already invested about 6 hours into the project and I'm no where done. Even after I complete my goal for the specified region, the images in Google Earth are from 2006 (if not older) so it's only a best guesstimate.

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Sportsman
    replied
    Something to Consider

I agree that the idea of sharing too much information can be detrimental to one's privacy and think the government takes it too far in many cases. Information IS power after all. I would like to think that ADF&G has something more constructive in mind. The regs say one can't bait within 1/4 mile of a roadway and within 1 mile of a permanent dwelling (don't rip me for not EXACTLY quoting it). Maybe they want to reduce non-hunting bear encounters associated with baiting. Maybe they will log all known dwellings and roads in a data base, and an alert will pop up indicating a bait station is too close to either or both of those when the permit is applied for. Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X