New GPS Requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GPS Requirement

I don't like this. Luckily I hunt in unit 7.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr03232011

During the November 2010 Alaska Board of Game meeting in Ketchikan, a regulation was adopted that requires that all black bear baiting permit holders provide GPS coordinates to the department for each bait site before a permit will be issued.
    In Units 1 5, a person may not establish a black bear baiting station or place bait at a baiting station without first providing the location, in a global positioning system (GPS) format of latitude and longitude, of the baiting station on a form provided by the Department of Fish and Game. The GPS location of the baiting station will be provided to the department at the time of site registration and must be provided to the department before bait is placed at the site.
    Black bear bait site GPS coordinates (latitude & longitude) are required before a permit will be issued.
    Please contact the Douglas wildlife office for additional assistance and information at (907) 465-4265.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

16 has always been that way, I had to buy a freakin' GPS just so I could hunt, go figure.
    Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by hiline View Post
      16 has always been that way, I had to buy a freakin' GPS just so I could hunt, go figure.
      The reg requires you provide GPS coordinates, not that you purchase a GPS unit. All outdoorsmen should become skilled at using map and compass. If skilled at using a map, one can determine accurate GPS coordinates with little difficulty.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Somone should fight this requirement. Seems a little big brotherish to me. What if someone cannot afford a GPS or a compass? How can the state require one to purchase equipment?
        "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt View Post
          Somone should fight this requirement. Seems a little big brotherish to me. What if someone cannot afford a GPS or a compass? How can the state require one to purchase equipment?
          Just use Google earth, zoom in follow your route to your stand and read the cordinates.

Steve
          "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

That does kind of stink. But I always gave gps coordinates to keep it simple, might not be "exact" or "dot on" to my bait site but near as I move it around sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt View Post
              Are you really proposing to argue, with a straight face, that any person who can afford all the toys commonly associated with hunting bears over bait, would be unable to afford to own a thirty dollar compass? (Not to mention the cost of the computer being used to debate the point online). Anyway, it's a moot argument, because the state is NOT requiring anyone to purchase a compass, let alone a GPS unit. They are simply requiring a person to provide GPS coordinates.... It's not that difficult.
              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Rep points for you iofthetaiga perfectly said

Comment

I would recommend, a person pay closer attention to the regulatory process. This is the first step in requiring the use of GPS. It has already been Proposed to include the harvest location on many hunts throughout the state. Many harvest tickets already include space for the Lat and long of the kill site. If you wish to fight this regulation you would be best advised to participate at the state wide meeting next year.
                  squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Comment

I can live with this, however here is why I don't like it. I do everything in my power to follow the letter of the law but I may not "interpret" something "correctly" or, I might miss something. Therefore, anything that makes it easier for the state to check up on me makes me nervous. Generally, when I give directions to my stand during the registration process I give them the long way. If they follow my directions, they WILL get there. They just may have to take the less than comfortable route. Maybe this makes me a bad person... oh well

I will add that EVERY encounter I've had with the troopers has been a positive experience. I'd still just rather avoid them in case I catch one on a bad day.

Another thing I'd add is I think Google or GPS would be necessary for a lot of bait sites. If I'm not mistaken you need to be able to see two known landmarks in order to pinpoint your exact location on a map. I can't see a **** thing from mine other than devils club and trees (and bears).
                    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Comment

Mnviking sums it up

That's pretty much how I feel even though I was already in the habit of giving coordinates but if they really want to ticket you I'm sure they'll dig deep enough to get you for some minor oversight or ignorance. I just hope I don't have to go through any of that if it's not legal don't do it. It does seem like they always want a little more and a little more from us.

Comment

I'm surprised so many are ok with this. Like fishingyoda said "they always want a little more and a little more from us." As I posted in a previous post this GPS reg is strickly to discourage people from baiting-this is what Fish and Feather said to me. Why on green earth would any one be ok with this? They are actively trying to discourage people from hunting? That sits well with you all. It pisses me off. There is no reason that we need to provide GPS information to bait sites or in the future kill sites. I say tell them to take a long walk on a short pier!

Comment

Yep, That would be called resection, Ive been doing land nav for 11yrs in the army and unless I have two known points or something to use for deadreckoning its hard to pinpoint. I do agree with taiga though, GPSs are really cheap these days and its the law.. What are you gonna do?
                          Originally posted by MNViking View Post
                          I can live with this, however here is why I don't like it. I do everything in my power to follow the letter of the law but I may not "interpret" something "correctly" or, I might miss something. Therefore, anything that makes it easier for the state to check up on me makes me nervous. Generally, when I give directions to my stand during the registration process I give them the long way. If they follow my directions, they WILL get there. They just may have to take the less than comfortable route. Maybe this makes me a bad person... oh well

I will add that EVERY encounter I've had with the troopers has been a positive experience. I'd still just rather avoid them in case I catch one on a bad day.

Another thing I'd add is I think Google or GPS would be necessary for a lot of bait sites. If I'm not mistaken you need to be able to see two known landmarks in order to pinpoint your exact location on a map. I can't see a **** thing from mine other than devils club and trees (and bears).

Comment

I don't like where this is going. It's going to be all too easy for them to start GPSing all bait sites, all kill sites, for all species. It's not too difficult, because like iofthetaiga said, we all have the means to give these locations. Just one more hoop they make us jump through and the noose just got a little tighter
                            "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Comment

They're just making it an easier decision for guys to run unregistered bait. I'm all about doing the right thing, but it seems to me that the only people that are getting hassled and ticketed for running bait sites are the ones that are doing the right thing by telling F&G where they are registered.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X