No announcement yet.

Any Action Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got a break in the weather yesterday so went out and rebaited. I have never seen my bait site so torn up. The bears are just ripping up everything. Kind of looks like someone took a mini excavator in there. So we re baited the barrel with popcorn and poured dog food down into all the root holes again. Supposed to be good weather on Friday.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by luke 33 View Post
      Maybe its just me but Unit 13 seems to be off to a late start. Not much activity and no regulars. This is my 3rd year on a site that normally gets plenty of bears by this time.
      which part of unit 13 if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve been having a weird year also in unit 14, but one of my close friends and hunting partners that used to share a bait with me in unit 14 is having great success in a subunit of unit 13. So I am just curious which subunit you are in

Comment

Bushwack Jack I'm close to Glennallen.

Comment

Originally posted by luke 33 View Post
          Bushwack Jack I'm close to Glennallen.
          Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Just curious, do you typically get mostly browns at your bait station or do you have a fair population of blacks also?

Comment

In the past I've had both fairly consistently.

irst year (2019) I had plenty of black bears and 3 grizzly. I got my bears pretty early and stopped putting out bait though. In 2020 I had a grizzly family, an 8 foot grizzly and one or two smaller grizzlies (hard to tell). And multiple black bears.

So not as good as some people get but I was surprised to see so little. We'll try again next week.

Comment

QUESTION.........We are two weeks from longest daylight hours. Based on your "trail cameras" are the bears still preferring to feed during the darker few hours......??? Or at this time of year is it equally spread out throughout the day feeding times......??? Thanks.
              "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

On Sat. we had a bear on the bait when we went in. The appeared all day until we left. We saw 12 different bears but no one, offered an ethical broadside shot for my archer. She only shoots 40 pounds and has to be patient. Next day, one Bobo bear at 3:20 p.m. Yesterday at 12:30p.m. another friend took a 6' bear. iI is my turn to hunt for two days by myself now.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I forgot about the trail cam. Maybe 100 photos and only 1 bear came in at night. Time stamp was off so no factual time except, "dark".

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                    I forgot about the trail cam. Maybe 100 photos and only 1 bear came in at night. Time stamp was off so no factual time except, "dark".
                    Thanks.......that is simply "compelling" information. Thanks.

"Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Yesterday I sat from 10 till 6 p.m. Everything has changed. One Bobo bear at 5:30 and that was it. Last day, I need to pull the barrel. There is even a carcass on one side of the stand and the bears haven't touched it. Ravens and crows are the worst I have seen ever. Can't get rid of them. They eat everything. Time for a .22 and a silencer.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Dave I get the same feeling. Last year I had plenty of activity until I pulled bait on the 29th. In the last week 3 black bears on 2 different baits is all I've seen. I keep hoping its just a late start but I sorta doubt it now. My guess is the bears are off somewhere else now. I've never baited with such a late spring but I'm beginning to wonder if there was a window and I missed it.

Comment

There was still bait in the barrel today from Tuesday. My best guess is that a sow in heat took everyone on a jog around the mountain. Cleaned up the site and washing the gear now. I pulled one other camera and the best activity was May 12-15th at that site. It ran out of food but 5-6 different bears with one sow with cubs. All daytime hits. Had one bear back from the barrel 20', lay on its back and take a nap. I have never seen that before.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

There was still bait in the barrel today from Tuesday. My best guess is that a sow in heat took everyone on a jog around the mountain. Cleaned up the site and washing the gear now. I pulled one other camera and the best activity was May 12-15th at that site. It ran out of food but 5-6 different bears with one sow with cubs. All daytime hits. Had one bear back from the barrel 20', lay on its back and take a nap. I have never seen that before.
                            So.....are you done totally or only done with one of the sites........??? If your totally done, why......?? other projects....?? Not trying to be nosey, but trying to grasp the thinking in the baiting. And you have been helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post

So.....are you done totally or only done with one of the sites........??? If your totally done, why......?? other projects....?? Not trying to be nosey, but trying to grasp the thinking in the baiting. And you have been helpful. Thanks.
                              The season closed yesterday the 10th in 6D. I don't run up country to bait.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

The season closed yesterday the 10th in 6D. I don't run up country to bait.
                                Thanks........I did not know the season closed on the 10'th. Thanks.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X