Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clarktar
    replied
    I'll start cooking!! <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    I’m a popcorn fan and I pop it just like daveinthebush. Pouring in bucket let’s it cool enough that it doesn’t melt the garbage bag. I was getting cleaned out pretty fast until I modes my barrel with a bar for the bears and some chain to stop the birds. It takes some time but it’s pretty cheap if you buy it in the 25# bag from Costco. Light too!

Leave a comment:

• clarktar
    replied
    Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    i popped corn one time, two large trash bags of it. As it came out of the pan into a 5-gallon bucket I sprinkled it with raspberry Jell-O mix. My game camera says that I filled the barrel about 8:30 a.m. The next time in I pulled the card to see what happened. The barrel was empty, completely. And I filled it again with dog food. When I checked the data card for some reason the bear feeding did not trip the camera. But, at 6:30 p.m. I noticed the camera had turned on and the barrel was on the wrong side of the tree, empty. Somebody like the taste of it.
    hmm. I have a giant 10 gallon pot. Maybe I'll toss it in the crab cooker and pop some corn<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    i popped corn one time, two large trash bags of it. As it came out of the pan into a 5-gallon bucket I sprinkled it with raspberry Jell-O mix. My game camera says that I filled the barrel about 8:30 a.m. The next time in I pulled the card to see what happened. The barrel was empty, completely. And I filled it again with dog food. When I checked the data card for some reason the bear feeding did not trip the camera. But, at 6:30 p.m. I noticed the camera had turned on and the barrel was on the wrong side of the tree, empty. Somebody like the taste of it.

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    Buddying up is a good idea. Cut a lot of the workload. My buddies were nowhere to be found until I started talking about the bears and being successful! Haha I sure enjoy it but t does take a lot of time and money. Especially if you access by boat. Black-bear is one of m favorite meats!

Leave a comment:

• clarktar
    replied
    I make a helluva stink bucket. New to the state but had some success baiting bears in lower48 (only for two years, got one bear).<br/><br/>I'd partner up with someone and bring the stink and hike bait!!<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GrantKopplin View Post
    New to bear baiting this will be second season solo. Does this just come out as like a giant rock for them to lick and mess with or you guys using this as a scent bait or “call bait”?
    Well it does have a scent but it is something that the bears like to lick on and since it doesn't go away very fast, like a big jolly rancher, they will keep coming back. I make mine in a metal bucket with a chain draped in the bottom so they can't run off with it. I think it's worth doing but I also use bait and scents with it.

Leave a comment:

• GrantKopplin
    replied
    New to bear baiting this will be second season solo. Does this just come out as like a giant rock for them to lick and mess with or you guys using this as a scent bait or “call bait”?

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    So I went ahead and made this yesterday. I used the original recipe from the link at the top of this thread. It was a lot easier and cheaper than I thought it would be. And that says a lot because I'm not very good in the kitchen and I can be a cheapskate some times. I'm gonna give it a shot this season and I'll tell ya how it goes afterwards. This is what mine looks like as a finished product. Oh, and I only used half the amount they recommended and it still made about 15 lbs. of bear crack.
    So I tried it and it worked. I smoked this nice black bear while he was licking the lollipop. Made me a believe anyhow.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mammoth Hunter
    replied
    Interesting...look forward to the reports. Also will check the morgue list at end of season and summer drug clinics stats for increased bear clients.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    So I went ahead and made this yesterday. I used the original recipe from the link at the top of this thread. It was a lot easier and cheaper than I thought it would be. And that says a lot because I'm not very good in the kitchen and I can be a cheapskate some times. I'm gonna give it a shot this season and I'll tell ya how it goes afterwards. This is what mine looks like as a finished product. Oh, and I only used half the amount they recommended and it still made about 15 lbs. of bear crack.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BEARBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by kobuk View Post
    Bearbob
    So what is your actual recipe? So you are just using the sugar, water and lemon juice to make the hard candy then mixing in the flavoring after as usual? If so, what ratios for a single batch? It seems that if you aren't using the karo, what makes up for that quantity?
    Kobuk

Excellent point. His batch calls for 8 cups of sugar + 3 cups corn syrup + 2 cups of water and he does it 7 times (I think). If you remove the corn syrup, it will reduce the total amount of hard candy, a little but by how much I do not know, (since a lot of the corn syrup is boiled off like the water) and he does not state how many gallons he ends up with.

I do much larger batches than he does and if I break it down, I have added a little more water. The breakdown would be 8 cups of sugar + 0 syrup + 3 cups of water + 2 teaspoons lemon + 1 jello.

BEARBOB

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    Bearbob
    So what is your actual recipe? So you are just using the sugar, water and lemon juice to make the hard candy then mixing in the flavoring after as usual? If so, what ratios for a single batch? It seems that if you aren't using the karo, what makes up for that quantity?

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    I hung mine up so it wouldn't get full of water and desolve. I laid a chain in the bottom of the metal pail and poured the candy mixture in to harden. Then tied the chain to the outlide bottom of the pail so when you held the chain the bucket tilted slighty downward and stays rainproof. Then I just wraped the chain around a tree using a small bolt/nut where it was about 5 feet off the ground. It was jun watching them lick on it. Some would wrap their paws around it to keep it still and just lick away. They would lick to the bottom but never get it all out. At the end of the season I would just fill it with water and rinse all of the candy out and start over the next season. I just figured that if I ran out of bait, this might keep them coming back.

Leave a comment:

• BEARBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob B View Post
    Looks like a fun spring time project. Add some heavy twin and make them easy to hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use chain so the bears don't steal the bucket, until they have licked all the candy.

BEARBOB

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X