What if someone moves a Motorhome next to your station, Lives there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if someone moves a Motorhome next to your station, Lives there

Just curious.......you do your research, put out your bait station, and then someone sets up residence real close. Must you move....???

I am just curious......but looks like it just happened.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
    Just curious.......you do your research, put out your bait station, and then someone sets up residence real close. Must you move....???

I am just curious......but looks like it just happened.
    According to the law, I'd say yes. It's got to be 1 mile from a dwelling (ie cabin, home, motorhome etc.). But I suppose it would be fair to give the owner a chance to fix it before just issuing a fine. The thing that sounds weird to me is how the heck do you get a motorhome next to a bear bait site to begin with? If you can drive a motorhome to it, then you would have to have road access. In which case, it would be illegal because you can't put a bait site right alongside a road. And who in the heck would want to anyways? Kinda sounds irrelevant to me but I guess I need to hear more details about the story in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
      According to the law, I'd say yes. It's got to be 1 mile from a dwelling (ie cabin, home, motorhome etc.). But I suppose it would be fair to give the owner a chance to fix it before just issuing a fine. The thing that sounds weird to me is how the heck do you get a motorhome next to a bear bait site to begin with? If you can drive a motorhome to it, then you would have to have road access. In which case, it would be illegal because you can't put a bait site right alongside a road. And who in the heck would want to anyways? Kinda sounds irrelevant to me but I guess I need to hear more details about the story in question.
      I am not going to give much detail, as I enjoy watching how this develops. But just to paint a picture for you, Someone sets up a totally legal correct bait station, legal distance from residences and more then 1/4 mile off roads or trails. But there is a little known gravel pit near. The baiter might not know it is even there. Motorhome just yesterday set up camp in back of gavel pit for the summer, till mid September.

What makes this even more fun, is that likely neither party knows that the "Kenai Peninsula Borough" Government designated this pit as the place the Hope, Alaska residents are to use for shooting. We had for decades used the gravel pit adjacent to the Hope, Alaska International Airport. Alaska State Troopers also run some training there, or they did, I think they now have a place in Birchwood, AK.

Comment

I am not going to give much detail, as I enjoy watching how this develops. But just to paint a picture for you, Someone sets up a totally legal correct bait station, legal distance from residences and more then 1/4 mile off roads or trails. But there is a little known gravel pit near. The baiter might not know it is even there. Motorhome just yesterday set up camp in back of gavel pit for the summer, till mid September.

What makes this even more fun, is that likely neither party knows that the "Kenai Peninsula Borough" Government designated this pit as the place the Hope, Alaska residents are to use for shooting. We had for decades used the gravel pit adjacent to the Hope, Alaska International Airport. Alaska State Troopers also run some training there, or they did, I think they now have a place in Birchwood, AK.
        I think it would be wise and prudent to let the owner of the motorhome know of the proximity to the bait station. Obviously it is the baiter's responsibility to do so, and not yours, but that being said, if someone were to get injured by an angry bear, I would hate to have that on my conscience. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt or dead. The baiter should have put signs up alerting the public of the bait site. Obviously he/she did not, but I would hate to hear a story of someone getting hurt, especially a young child. Please do us all a favor AGL and do the right thing. We don't need anymore black eyes to our reputation.

Comment

I just e-mailed the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
            I think it would be wise and prudent to let the owner of the motorhome know of the proximity to the bait station. Obviously it is the baiter's responsibility to do so, and not yours, but that being said, if someone were to get injured by an angry bear, I would hate to have that on my conscience. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt or dead. The baiter should have put signs up alerting the public of the bait site. Obviously he/she did not, but I would hate to hear a story of someone getting hurt, especially a young child. Please do us all a favor AGL and do the right thing. We don't need anymore black eyes to our reputation.
            I like to assume the best in people and will assume the hunter is following the rules and just doesn't know about a "little known gravel pit". No distances are given and the hunter likely has his sign up. The motor home could be 3/4 mile away making the site illegal and neither party knows. It's my understanding the sign needs to be up in view of the bait, not every trail or pull out within a mile. Even if his bait is 100 feet from the motor home into the woods the sign wouldn't be visible.

Thanks for letting the hunter know AGL. I would hope someone would do the same for me if this happened and like bushwack stated, we don't need any stories in the news about someone getting mauled by a bait station.

Comment

Tough one to deal with. But if it is his property there is not much you can do. One of my stands is 300 yards up a trail that no one would ever know is there. Sign is hung so you can see it from the bait but no one would ever know it's there, way too thick in there.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I did NOT contact the bait station operator. The bait station operator has done nothing wrong (in my opinion). Even "IF" he knew about the gravel pit.
                I contacted the owner of the Motorhome.

There are two white water rafting companies that operate on the Six Mile, and they both employ a "LOT" of summer help. To save money they have tent camps, travel trailer camps, Gravel Pit camps, etc..

They "Squat" where they please from mid May to mid September.

Comment

I did NOT contact the bait station operator. The bait station operator has done nothing wrong (in my opinion). Even "IF" he knew about the gravel pit.
                  I contacted the owner of the Motorhome.

There are two white water rafting companies that operate on the Six Mile, and they both employ a "LOT" of summer help. To save money they have tent camps, travel trailer camps, Gravel Pit camps, etc..

They "Squat" where they please from mid May to mid September.
                  Well, good on you for doing the right thing and letting them know. I'm sure it's super irritating to have to deal with squatters like that. Maybe they will ignore your warning and they'll have a bear vandalize their motor home while they are away. But I'm glad you at least warned them so somebody doesn't get hurt.

Comment

I don't believe the bait station is improperly sited. The presence of a motorhome doesn't turn a gravel pit into a campground. Particularly if the pit has been designated as a public shooting range.

The regs state that you may not:
                    Set up a bait station within 1 mile of a:
                    ∙house (including your own home),
                    ∙school,
                    ∙business,
                    ∙developed recreational facility,
                    ∙campground, or
                    ∙permanent dwelling including seasonally-occupied
                    cabins (including your own). Establishing bait
                    stations within 1 mile of seasonally occupied
                    cabins is allowed in some areas. (See page 27 for
                    the list of places this is allowed.)
                    Just my non-lawyer opinion, but I believe the baiter is good to go. if the borough were to set up a parking area and some shooting benches then it would probably meet the definition of a developed recreational facility. As it is, it's a gravel pit being occupied by a homeless guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
                      I don't believe the bait station is improperly sited.
                      Yeah, assuming the baiter did everything right, then he can't help it if somebody decides to sleep by his bait....
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

A motor home is not a "permanent dwelling." Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by willphish4food View Post
                          A motor home is not a "permanent dwelling." Nuff said.
                          There are families in Hope, Alaska that have been living in motorhomes year around for more then 20 years.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X