Bruin Sightings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruin Sightings?

With the warm temps and rapid melt we've got going on, I'm sure many a sleeping bear are getting wet in their dens. We all anxiously await what that brings, who is seeing them stir and start to stretch their legs...which flavor and where?

Just talked to a guy who was flying over the Tazlina River area near the Cooper River looking for bison. He mentioned he saw multiple bears out.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and sharing with all on this forum FishGod! I guess I was hoping that more Alaskans using this forum, would share what is bound to be many “out and about” sightings of both flavors...guys???

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaGrizz View Post
        Thanks for confirming my suspicions and sharing with all on this forum FishGod! I guess I was hoping that more Alaskans using this forum, would share what is bound to be many “out and about” sightings of both flavors...guys???
        It's still a bit early, and probably a good reason as to why you haven't received more input. Even most guides I knew didn't even start till the 1st week of April.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

4merguide, thanks for your professional input. I totally agree it’s still early, but when the bears are swimmin in their dens, they’re outta there! They don’t have much use for a calendar like guides and outfitters do when booking clients. I was primarily addressing other like minded Alaskans who also live a fair bit off the beaten path.

Comment

We live in the sheep mountain/gunsight mountain area. My dog of more than 12 years experience is telling me he has smelled a bear as of yesterday afternoon. I’ve not seen it, but I know and trust my dogs sense of when bears are about.

Comment

I sure am surprised at the serious lack of response on this thread. I am aware that guides don’t do much before early April and that we can’t stock our bait stations till the 15th, but I’ve since heard of more than a few sightings in the Matsu via word of mouth. No doubt that they are “out and about now”, at least at lower elevations...just nobody willing to share online. Hmmmm???

Comment

Petersville area, 3 different ones out and about. Tracks out of dens too.
                Good luck.
                Bk
                BK Marine Services 232-6399
                Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaGrizz View Post
                  ….at least at lower elevations...
                  That's just it.... Sure there will be a number of flatland denned up bears out now. But to my eyes, when I look up in those mountains, there still seems to be a lot of snow up there?
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I decided to take my dog to go play elsewhere when I got to the trailhead at Peter's Creek and had fresh brownie tracks in the parking lot since I didn't have any form of protection with me. Time to load the truck up again!

Comment

While there are a few out, most will be brown bears. In the Palmer/Wasilla area the bulk of Black Bears wont be out until early to mid May. Good hunting is late May through June.

Comment

Originally posted by wbooth View Post
                        While there are a few out, most will be brown bears. In the Palmer/Wasilla area the bulk of Black Bears wont be out until early to mid May. Good hunting is late May through June.
                        Uuuuuuuuumm, 2 different blackies were spotted out off of KGB this weekend... A couple of other blacks have been seen on the sidehills of the Knik river... This warm weather has them slowing popping out of their dens a wee bit early this year. But if we have one more cold snap and a good snow, it will put them all back in their dens for another week or 2. Like it did back in 2013.
                        We shall see..

Comment

Maybe you people that are convinced black bears are up and moving around can inform me of what they are eating this time of the year. Not much to eat out there from what I see.... bears are good about calculating calorie intake vs energy spent.

Comment

Typically and seasonably, yep, those that are out a few weeks early are gonna be hungry, that’s for sure.
                            Not much for veggies out there for them..
                            Those around towns or subdivisions may even start getting into trash or whatever.
                            They may stretch their legs and go back to the dens, hard too say.
                            But I do know that some are out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A buddy did a fly over of one of the local valleys and counted 4 from the air on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X