Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever had a bear climb up to your tree stand to check you out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ninja
    replied
    Originally posted by snowshoehair View Post
    And you know someone has been killed by a sow? I think if you're going to post a comment like that, you should back it up with facts... like, what do you base your comment on, that I don't know anything?

Lone male bears that get a wild hair to stalk a human are the ones you need to watch out for, not a sow blustering after two men in a tree.

Even if what you say is true, no one wants to be the first guy.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• akpolaris
    replied
    Trapak is know for using a spear from a stand He is a sportsman and if the bear needed killing than it needed to be done like he said.
    Well, itís nice to hear you have everything under control Trapak.

I may be speaking only for myself, but you may want to keep in mind that people may not be too receptive to someone posting pictures and bragging about killing a mother bearÖand her family. Female blackies are all bluster and no one has ever been killed by one, much less two men 20 feet up in a tree stand. Common sense also dictates one doesnít aggravate her by getting up and moving around.

Leave a comment:

• FullFreezer
    replied
    The bear bait class I went to in fairbanks
    , the guy teaching it told his account and showed pictures of a sow that charged up his tree where he was forced to shoot as she was climbing over the foot platform of his stand. It was the only sow he ever harvested and his words of wisdom to the class was always be ready.

Leave a comment:

• snowshoehair
    replied
    Situation is different in the Lower 48 with their human to bear ratio.... but I do have my plan if it were to happen. That said, I won't be back to this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Roland on the River
    replied
    May not have happened from a tree stand BUT many not only in Alaska have been killed and eaten by Black Bears. One such happened to a young boy in Utah several years ago.

I'm not for any fighting especially on a forum. Hard to Monday quarterbacking when WE weren't there and who's to know how WE would have reacted ?

Leave a comment:

• snowshoehair
    replied
    And you know someone has been killed by a sow? I think if you're going to post a comment like that, you should back it up with facts... like, what do you base your comment on, that I don't know anything?

Lone male bears that get a wild hair to stalk a human are the ones you need to watch out for, not a sow blustering after two men in a tree.

Leave a comment:

• Roland on the River
    replied
    Hey SNOW, before putting people down, try not making statements you appear to have no knowledge about.

Like "no one has ever been killed by one "

Leave a comment:

• snowshoehair
    replied
    Well, itís nice to hear you have everything under control Trapak.

I may be speaking only for myself, but you may want to keep in mind that people may not be too receptive to someone posting pictures and bragging about killing a mother bearÖand her family. Female blackies are all bluster and no one has ever been killed by one, much less two men 20 feet up in a tree stand. Common sense also dictates one doesnít aggravate her by getting up and moving around.

Leave a comment:

• Trapak
    replied
    Try carrying bear spray Trapak, it works when they try to come up your tree and you don't have to kill 4 bears with one shot.
    I have carried bear spray prior to this when hunting from MY tree stand. I went to visit with a friend and on a lark, he asked me to accompany him to his bait station when this occurred. Guess I should have posted every minute detail. Thanks for your brilliant analysis! That was a tough one to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• snowshoehair
    replied
    Try carrying bear spray Trapak, it works when they try to come up your tree and you don't have to kill 4 bears with one shot.

Leave a comment:

• Trapak
    replied
    A few more. The 440 grain LBT hardcast wiped out her upper left canine and shattered the remainder of the jawline as it exited the neck, next to the spinal column. All she saw was a lot of muzzle blast then a quick trip back down to terra firma.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Trapak
    replied
    Had a big momma blackie fly up a tree to my buddy and I as we were watching her and her 3 yearling cubs from the stand platform that was 20 ft. off the ground. Sad part was she was just being a good, protective mother. The youngins were happily feeding while the sow remained on high alert, having come to the bait about an hour after a larger brownie had left. We took some photos and video of the family with no intentions of shooting them. But when my buddy moved to get out of his chair to stretch his legs, the sow picked up on this and she launched up the tree and in about 4 seconds she was trying to get in the tree stand with us. I only had time to take a step back, draw my .500 and shoot her point blank from about 3 ft. away with one hand. A sad ending, but she set things in motion...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DAllen
    replied
    I had one come up and check me out once. I was up in a small portable stand. Young bear, maybe 4.5' foot type, came into the bait and made himself at home. It was small and I decided to just watch him, with no intention of shooting. After about 15 minutes, he gets up and starts following my trail to my treestand. He gets to the base of the tree, and starts sniffing the tree. He then looks up at me and raises up and puts his front paws on the tree, still looking at me. I think to myself, hmmm, I think he's gonna climb up. And sure enough, up he comes. I was bow hunting, and didn't happen to have a gun with me on this particular trip. So, he shimmy's up the tree and gets right under the platform. I'm sitting, looking between my legs at him, and he's about 6" below the tree stand looking back up at me. I thought to myself, "surely he's got to see me", but he then sticks his nose up between the bars of the platform and bumps the bottom of my boot. I sort of brought my face down lower and in a low voice said "you better knock that **** off" (I didnt want to make a big racket for fear of blowing the stand that night). As soon as I said something, he pulls his head back down (sort of like a turtle pulls his head in) and backs very slowly down the tree. Then walks away with his hackle up and turing frequently to see that he wasn't being followed. So, he left, and I sat there wishing I had a video camera, or a camera period. Sat for another hour then decided enough for one night, and got down off the tree. As I was walking away from the tree, I looked back and noticed a dark spot on the tree. After going back and investigation, found out that he had pissed on the tree when I spoke to him.....so, I guess I scared the piss out of a bear that night. Sure wish I had that on video.

Leave a comment:

• Tearbear
    replied
    For anyone who missed this one...

Climbing trees does NOT keep you safe from bears.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c7b_1353713268

Leave a comment:

• Ak River Rat
    replied
    A friend has had them in the tree first not once but 2 times. Both times he climbed up, got settled on the stand, and he started getting wet, thinking it was rain. Nope, nervous bears do silly things. Granted, he was always hard of hearing. After that he'd make sure the way was clear before heading up.
    I've had them climb up in the tree next to me, but never with me. Had a sow pretty ticked off cause her cub was a few feet away in another tree and she figured I was at fault somehow. Thankfully she decided I was not a threat and decided not to come up and talk about it.
    ARR

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X