Stolen stand or fair game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
    Unit 7 is exempt from need to remove Permanent treestands (Sometimes, small treehouses) and barrels.
    I wasn't aware of that. I am not a bear baiter, so am not as up on all the regs related to it, so I probably just skipped over that line. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by FurFishGame View Post
      If you already registered it, or heck, if he even registered it first, then they should have told eather one of you who did it last, that Hey, there is a bait there.
      I don't think they compare each registered site when they are registered to see if another is at the same location. That is up to each individual hunter to verify. They might enter the GPS coordinates that are required now and track them that way, but most likely that woudln't be done until a while after the person turned in the paperwork.

Comment

If you already registered it, or heck, if he even registered it first, then they should have told eather one of you who did it last, that Hey, there is a bait there.
        Surely you can't be serious...Are You? lol Checks and Balances are not what the ADF&G are noted for!
        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
          I wasn't aware of that. I am not a bear baiter, so am not as up on all the regs related to it, so I probably just skipped over that line. Thanks for the clarification.
          I am a "Troll", so you can not believe anything I post.
          ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

I am a "Troll", so you can not believe anything I post.
            60+ years in the sticks will do that to ya Glad to see you're still lurking around...
            "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

Two people can register the same stand. This will get you past the loophole on who can bait the stand. This would allow both hunters to bait the stand.

Technically you can just put your registration on the same tree as his and sit in the stand. The other guy might not appreciate it but it would give you a chance to discuss your situation. You never know, you might build a relationship with a fellow hunter and you both could use the stand, if not, pull what is yours and move.
              Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

Nope they don't say anything. I had my spot already set up on the 18th when I went out and I had registered by the 5th they didn't tell me and I have no way of knowing who registered first but I do know who's signs were up first.

Comment

Unit 7 is exempt from need to remove Permanent treestands (Sometimes, small treehouses) and barrels.

Can you tell me where to find this regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by AKF View Post
                    Can you tell me where to find this regulation.
                    I am thinking that it is not exempt, it just seems that way because so many people leave their stuff out there. I could be wrong though.

Comment

It's not ethical to occupy and use someone else's bait. It's also not ethical to leave stands up after the season ends....in my opinion.

Funny thing is, bear baiting permits seem to contradict the state's law on not having a camp more than 14 days in one spot. It could be argued that a bait is not a camp, but it'd sure be nice to have clarification in state law.
                      Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

So, say ARCHERBOB didn't leave his stuff out all winter but built the stand and put out his empty barrel on 15 April with his baiting permit stapled to a tree. Along comes another hunter and see this setup but not the permit. Said hunter fills the barrel and hangs his own permit. One could say that said hunter had no idea if ARCHERBOB's stuff was there all year or just one day. Who in their right mind would fill another guys barrel and expect to hunt that site???? If it was me, hunt the heck out of it and tell him thanks for the free bait or remove my stand and barrel then piss in the guys bait.
                        27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
                        Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
                        Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
                        MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Something like that would piss me off so bad I would shoot the bait barrel up till thier was nothing left to keep it intact! Then I leave a note tell them they are sorry POS and telling them they are real turds for taking a site over they invested no time in and they are lazy ignorant asses! Now if they had little kids out thier with them it would bother me, the little ones see thier supposed site in complete dissaray.... So sometimes better to leave a quick note saying hey this has been my stand for the last 7yrs that is my barrel, my wood, you can use it this yr but next year find a new spot!

Comment

Archerbob violated the regs by leaving his gear in the field.
                            The other guy violated the regs by not getting Bob's written permission to hunt an otherwise legally registered stand.

Also, it is not illegal to set up a stand prior to April 15th. The issue is the placement of bait. So long as bait or attractants are not placed before the 15th then a hunter is free to get set up. If you think about it, it makes sense, especially for a new site...the hunter probably has a general area in mind and after a bit of exploring picks the exact spot and sets gear to "claim" it. Then they register the stand as required and are then free to place bait on or after the opener.

As for the stand poacher? I would take my gear home and leave his bait on the ground and a note on the tree where the stand was:
                            "I was wrong for leaving my stand in the woods, but you're a lazy dirtbag"
                            If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                              I am thinking that it is not exempt, it just seems that way because so many people leave their stuff out there. I could be wrong though.
                              NO.......You are 100% Correct. They also leave trash, bread wrappers, boards, bags of nails, ropes, one guy is building a small house, no windows yet, this is in the National Forest.
                              ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

"I was wrong for leaving my stand in the woods, but you're a lazy dirtbag"

I like it......
                                27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
                                Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
                                Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
                                MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X