Scotty Pot Puller Reveiws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotty Pot Puller Reveiws

I have been looking at getting a pot puller after a couple of pulls @ 450 ft by hand. Has anyone used the Scotty puller? The Ace has a lot of positive reviews but I have not seen anything about Scotty on this forum. Does anyone use them? Thanks

that tiny capstan head likes to make lots of twists in the rope and if you have any nubs or strands of rope sticking out it runs the risk of winding up around the head on itself its called a "riding turn". Make sure you can turn it off quickly if somehow a raingear cuff gets caught under the wraps and starts winding your arm/wrist up in it.
    sigpic
    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Comment

I've had one for about 6 years, works great. As long as you can coil a line it's easy. What I like best about it, besides the size, is that you can put however many wraps to get however much pull you want so you control the speed. If it's too fast take a wrap of line of, but then you will need to pull more. If it's too slow thow another wrap on and coil away without any pulling. If your pots are sticking it's great at letting you apply as much pressure as you need to to free them up. My boat was also already setup with Scott down riggers so it made my choice an easy one.
      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I use the Scotty pot puller for pulling pots and tugging up my anchor. It works well if you have fast fingers and don't mind applying steady pulling on it. The capstan or cathead as I like to call it, takes two loops with some exertion and three loops can be used for a short tug or if careful, but it typically wraps around the cathead so it will slow things down. It will pull one large shrimp pot or two small pots, and that's with some effort. When I pull the two sets of pots up at 600 feet each, I've had a decent workout and the old biceps feel the burn but it's a lot easier. There is a learning curve to using the cathead and I'd recommend sticking with two loops for the mechanical assist will be a lot better than by hand.

Anyways, if you want one, Costco typically carries them for a decent price ~$350 last I checked, but perhaps they've gone up or sold out.

Comment

For a recreational weekend warrior, it would be a cheap way to pull pots. For those of us that pull pots every other day and sometimes 3-4 times a day, something like a Safety-T-Puller or a Discovery Bay would be better.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
            For a recreational weekend warrior, it would be a cheap way to pull pots. For those of us that pull pots every other day and sometimes 3-4 times a day, something like a Safety-T-Puller or a Discovery Bay would be better.
            3-4 times a day...! What do you do with all the shrimp?
            “Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.”
            ― Eugene Ionesco
            "FREEDOM" Only those that are denied truly know what it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post

3-4 times a day...! What do you do with all the shrimp?

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp stew, shrimp scampi, shrimp kabobs, shrimp in spaghetti sauce, shrimp cocktail...

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Actually depending on where you are shrimping, you can pull 3-4 times a day. In Port Valdez and the Arm it is a once a day or every other day.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I've gone out for up to five days at a time (I guess that would make me an extended weekend warrior) pulling anywhere from twice a day to pulling every 2-3 hours from 6am until 11pm (I might have a touch of the OCD) without any problems from the Scotty puller. of course I don't spend all summer pulling pots every other day and sometimes 3-4 times per day. I'm comfortable saying that I've used and abused this puller and it's taken everything I've thrown at it.
                  I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp stew, shrimp scampi, shrimp kabobs, shrimp in spaghetti sauce, shrimp cocktail...
                    Shrimp for breakfast, shrimp for lunch, shrimp for dinner, shrimp on ice cream.... LOL.... yeah I like shrimp too. Still I cant eat it everyday, If I bring home 25 -35 pounds of tails I have plenty for the year and give some away.... Its a rec fishery for crying out loud, I simply cant imagine what I would do with all the shrimp if I went several times a day.... I know theres no limit.... that's coming if folks continue to abuse this fishery....
                    ― Eugene Ionesco

Comment

Never give shrimp to anyone. Once you do, your giving it away forever. This was a light year. I think I only harvested 21 gallons. I used to take some back East when I went but haven't been that way in two years with our current epidemic.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Never give shrimp to anyone. Once you do, your giving it away forever. This was a light year. I think I only harvested 21 gallons. I used to take some back East when I went but haven't been that way in two years with our current epidemic.
                        WOW, Summers worth of shrimping for 21G, hardly worth the fuel.... it is fun though
                        ― Eugene Ionesco

Comment

“There’s shrimp, and it’s haunting and haunting;
                          It’s luring me on as of old;
                          Yet it isn’t the shrimp that I’m wanting
                          So much as just finding the shrimp.
                          It’s the great, big, broad land ’way up yonder,
                          It’s the oceans where silence has lease;
                          It’s the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
                          It’s the stillness that fills me with peace.”

Robert Service could not of said it better. I may have modified his words a bit but it still holds true.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X