Steamer/butter clams out of homer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamer/butter clams out of homer

Wife wants to go clamming Memorial Day weekend. I have a 260 Alaskan, Looking for advice, will be beaching the boat, when is the best time to get there? hour before low tide? Doing research on this site and there seems to be favorite spots like Jakolof Bay, China poot bay, Macdonald spit, are any of these spots better or worse for beaching a boat? Or should I not even try? Any and all advice or tips would be appreciated, Thanks.

When it comes to tides there is a thing called the rule of twelfths that gives you a close approximation of tidal movement. Basically our tides are 6 hours from slack tide to slack tide so you divide that 6 hour block into twelfths, but it isn't a linear scale. The first and last hour of the rising or falling tide each count for 1/12th of tidal movement, the second and fifth hours eac count for 2/12ths and the Third and fourth hours each count for 3/12ths. Hour 1 = 1/12, hour 2 = 2/12, hour 3 = 3/12, hour 4 = 3/12, hour 5= 2/12, and hour 6 = 1/12. If you were to beach your boat 1 hour before low tide you would only see 1/12 of the tidal movement on the falling tide and 1/12 on the rising tide, you would need to know how much your boat draws, but chances are you would realistically be seeing +\- 1 hour of actually being dry. I would say that finding the spot you want to beach a minimum of two hours before low tide would give you plenty of time to go dry and dig for clams.

Seems like they changed the amount of clams you can keep a few years ago so you want to make sure you have that dialed in.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Thanks for the formula, I always wondered about that. It will be very useful...

Comment

Did you end up going out? I was thinking of headed down there this weekend for the same trip

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X