Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp pot setup for 1 pot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shrimp pot setup for 1 pot

    So I have a set up for 2 pots. A bouy with 600 ft of sinking line. Attached to that is 250 ft of floating line. Got this from Potbuilder.
    So that seems like a lot of line for one pot at the bitter end. What changes should I make to the line length changing from 2 pots to 1
    i shrimp out of valdez in between 350 and 500 ft of water
    i have 2 of the 2 pot setups. Want to go to 1 pot on each
    thanks
    ​​​​​​​

  • #2
    Take the 600 and coil up about 250' - 300' of line and then zip tie it together under the buoy 3-4 feet down. Then you avoid grass on the surface from messing things up. I'd also add some weight for one pot. Maybe 10 pounds or so. If the limit changes or you head to deeper water you can always unzip it. Weave a colored piece of paracord into the lead line at the mark you want to start coiling so you have a reminder where that is if it gets untied.

    Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


    Comment


    • #3
      if your going to fish singles no deeper than 500' just use the 600' sink rope, get a gillnet float and clip it into the sink rope aprox 50-75ft above the pot to hold up the end of the sink rope off the bottom a bit.
      sigpic
      Alaska Shrimp Pots

      Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
      alaskashrimppots.com
      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
      907 775 1692

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
        if your going to fish singles no deeper than 500' just use the 600' sink rope, get a gillnet float and clip it into the sink rope aprox 50-75ft above the pot to hold up the end of the sink rope off the bottom a bit.
        Too much pressure for a salmon cork. It will lose its flotation and come up looking like a raisin. You would need a small “hard ball” or implosion proof float. Or simpler, floating line on the bottom shot.

        Comment


        • #5


          Much also depends on what side of the sound you are shrimping. Valdez is a shallow fishery usually no more than 400'. West of Glacier it is a different ball game and I go for 500+.

          Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans


          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the ideas. I usually go to wells bay first if no luck there work back to valdez

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jkswor View Post
              Thanks for the ideas. I usually go to wells bay first if no luck there work back to valdez
              Then you know they are deep over there. 550-600.


              Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bonanza View Post

                Too much pressure for a salmon cork. It will lose its flotation and come up looking like a raisin. You would need a small “hard ball” or implosion proof float. Or simpler, floating line on the bottom shot.
                ya ever try it ? all a guy has to lose is a squished cork then try something else.
                sigpic
                Alaska Shrimp Pots

                Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                alaskashrimppots.com
                akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                907 775 1692

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lots of times. Cork will regain most of its original shape after time

                  Comment

                  Footer Adsense

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X