X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I'm thinking either can't read the shrimp permit or did not take the time to read it.
    Perhaps the pots should come with instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Well it has been a bit but the first set pictured found their way home to Palmer today.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    probably didn't understand what the cotton was for and once it started to frey they zip tied it thinking it would hold better then the cotton.
    I'm thinking either can't read the shrimp permit or did not take the time to read it.

Leave a comment:

• kwackkillncrew
    replied
    probably didnt understand what the cotton was for and once it started to frey they zip tied it thinking it would hold better then the cotton.

Leave a comment:

• potbuilder
    replied
    Nice work Dave and yes they are pots i built, not my bridle set ups though. Wonder why the escapes were zip tied ?

Leave a comment:

• akgriz
    replied
    It is frustrating to hear this (as one who follows the rules to the best of my ability)--there's no excuse for improper marking of buoys!

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    "If made the rules I'd say any ball which is unmarked or improperly/illegibly marked is free for the taking."
    I shrimp all summer and the number of pots, marked incorrectly is amazing. Even the pot requirements. I made a comment about getting shrimp permits handed in on another site and some weren't even aware that they had too.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    I know from talking with the 1st person, that their pots were out by Columbia glacier. There was a full
    moon and real high tide and lots of ice coming out which must have swept them away. They looked for them but with all the ice could not find them.

Leave a comment:

• NRick
    replied
    I've lost my pots a few times. I eventually found them each time but you might be surprised how hard even a bright orange ball can be to see in 3ft white caps when you are not sure where to look. One set made it several miles from where I put them. Another string got cleaned off the bottom by an iceberg. That one took a while to find too. The personal info on the bouys got refreshed each year so it was legible.

Leave a comment:

• spoiled one
    replied
    iofthetaiga

Your post did well and I am sure the people appreciate it. I found the first person and have his pots in my boat barn to connect when we can. The pots in Shoop, he went out last night to look but I have not heard back. The other person is on his own I guess. Good Job!
    I would be curious as to why these folks did not recover their gear on their own. Did they give reasons?

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    Your post did well and I am sure the people appreciate it. I found the first person and have his pots in my boat barn to connect when we can. The pots in Shoop, he went out last night to look but I have not heard back. The other person is on his own I guess. Good Job!
    You're a good man, Dave! Frankly, my interest was in getting the trash out of the ocean. I wasn't especially concerned about getting a bunch of pots returned to people who abandoned them in the first place. You're earning good karma for going way, WAY above and beyond what is deserved (IMO).

As I said, there are countless more still floating around out there as we type. They're ridiculously easy to spot and it's inexplicable to me that the owners can't be bothered to track down the gear they've lost. To my mind it's inexcusable. If I made the rules I'd say any ball which is unmarked or improperly/illegibly marked is free for the taking. Same for any gear left in the water after the season has closed, marked or not.
    Last edited by iofthetaiga; 09-29-2020, 12:48.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    iofthetaiga

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Found the guy with the pots from Steve. He is going out today to pick them up.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Found someone that knows the first person. PM's sent.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    There were a lot of people on Prince William Sound Hunting and Fishing posting about loosing pots this year. I posted the first image over there. People do not read the rules, it's pretty obvious. I pulled in one pot this year, 800 feet of water. It was a Donaldson round pot and they had the rope tied around the bottom of the pot netting with the closure string. Only thing on the pot was a DOT number.

I lost a set one year in my beginning years. I told our trooper and never heard back. Come February he gives me a call. He found the floating and had retrieved them for me. I appreciated that.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X