Are These Your Shrimp Pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are These Your Shrimp Pots?

I just spent a couple weeks poking around the east half of PWS and was astounded at the insane number of abandoned shrimp pots floating around. You can't hardly swing a dead humpie carcass without hitting a buoy ball out there! In the course of just two days of cruising around I came across four sets of pots. I pulled three of them (by hand, mind you), and then gave up, and started trying to ignore them when I spotted another one in my travels. Frankly, it's disgusting and dispiriting...and infuriating. IMO, AST should dedicate a Trooper to cruising PWS after the season closes, pick up all the abandoned gear, and the owners who couldn't be bothered to track down their lost or "stolen" gear should be fined $5000 for littering, and lose their fishing license. It would be a self funding / profit making operation for the AST.

This set of two pots was at the mouth of Eickelberg Bay. It belongs to one B. Pickett of Palmer. I left these in the custody of the Valdez Harbor Master until the AST wildlife Trooper returned to retrieve them. They had been in the water long enough for 1/2" mussels to grow on the buoy line. The welds on the frames were rusting out, but the netting was still intact and they had live fin fish in them, as well as the skeletal remains of dead fin fish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a6ZG3q.jpg Views:	3 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	2761730

This string of three was floating around in the Port of Valdez, and after becoming tired of passing them floating in different locations for several days in a row I pulled them too. The day I pulled them they had grounded out near the Narrows. They're now sitting at the high tide line between Shoup Bay and the Narrows. The ball was completely unmarked. The pots were completely closed up with zip ties, there were no rot out panels, and they were still fishing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	W36OqA.jpg Views:	3 Size:	107.4 KB ID:	2761729
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

These appear to be a couple of Steve the Pot Builder's pots. They were also grounded out near the Narrows of the Port of Valdez. They were completely sealed up with zip ties, had no rot out panels, and were still fishing. If there was a name on the ball it's now completely indiscernible. The address is PO Box 746, Valdez. Phone 461-7172. These are now above the tide line in front of the cabin in Shoup Bay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4GnyE1.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	2761762
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dhdrO8.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	2761763

As of a few days ago, there was a string of pots bobbing in the mouth of Long bay. Judging by the flora and fauna growing on the line they too have been in the water for a long time. The names on the ball were difficult to discern, and I had better things to do than make a career out of pulling rogue illegal pots, so I left them, and thereafter started ignoring buoy balls when I passed by one.
    Last edited by iofthetaiga; 09-28-2020, 11:11.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

There were a lot of people on Prince William Sound Hunting and Fishing posting about loosing pots this year. I posted the first image over there. People do not read the rules, it's pretty obvious. I pulled in one pot this year, 800 feet of water. It was a Donaldson round pot and they had the rope tied around the bottom of the pot netting with the closure string. Only thing on the pot was a DOT number.

I lost a set one year in my beginning years. I told our trooper and never heard back. Come February he gives me a call. He found the floating and had retrieved them for me. I appreciated that.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Found someone that knows the first person. PM's sent.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Found the guy with the pots from Steve. He is going out today to pick them up.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

iofthetaiga

Your post did well and I am sure the people appreciate it. I found the first person and have his pots in my boat barn to connect when we can. The pots in Shoop, he went out last night to look but I have not heard back. The other person is on his own I guess. Good Job!

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
              Your post did well and I am sure the people appreciate it. I found the first person and have his pots in my boat barn to connect when we can. The pots in Shoop, he went out last night to look but I have not heard back. The other person is on his own I guess. Good Job!
              You're a good man, Dave! Frankly, my interest was in getting the trash out of the ocean. I wasn't especially concerned about getting a bunch of pots returned to people who abandoned them in the first place. You're earning good karma for going way, WAY above and beyond what is deserved (IMO).

As I said, there are countless more still floating around out there as we type. They're ridiculously easy to spot and it's inexplicable to me that the owners can't be bothered to track down the gear they've lost. To my mind it's inexcusable. If I made the rules I'd say any ball which is unmarked or improperly/illegibly marked is free for the taking. Same for any gear left in the water after the season has closed, marked or not.
              Last edited by iofthetaiga; 09-29-2020, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                iofthetaiga

I would be curious as to why these folks did not recover their gear on their own. Did they give reasons?
                sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

I've lost my pots a few times. I eventually found them each time but you might be surprised how hard even a bright orange ball can be to see in 3ft white caps when you are not sure where to look. One set made it several miles from where I put them. Another string got cleaned off the bottom by an iceberg. That one took a while to find too. The personal info on the bouys got refreshed each year so it was legible.

Comment

I know from talking with the 1st person, that their pots were out by Columbia glacier. There was a full
                    moon and real high tide and lots of ice coming out which must have swept them away. They looked for them but with all the ice could not find them.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

"If made the rules I'd say any ball which is unmarked or improperly/illegibly marked is free for the taking."
                      I shrimp all summer and the number of pots, marked incorrectly is amazing. Even the pot requirements. I made a comment about getting shrimp permits handed in on another site and some weren't even aware that they had too.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

It is frustrating to hear this (as one who follows the rules to the best of my ability)--there's no excuse for improper marking of buoys!
                        Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Comment

Nice work Dave and yes they are pots i built, not my bridle set ups though. Wonder why the escapes were zip tied ?
                          sigpic
                          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                          Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                          alaskashrimppots.com
                          akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                          907 775 1692

Comment

probably didnt understand what the cotton was for and once it started to frey they zip tied it thinking it would hold better then the cotton.
                            I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                            but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                              probably didn't understand what the cotton was for and once it started to frey they zip tied it thinking it would hold better then the cotton.
                              I'm thinking either can't read the shrimp permit or did not take the time to read it.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X