X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on pulling pots

Been having problems pulling pots with wind and current against the boat
    when I catch the buoy and hook rope to puller the wind/current
    pushes against the boat causing stress on the puller and line and sometimes causes a hang up of a pot on the bottom
    wonder. Wondering what I’m doing wrong. Sometimes the puller will shut down from the stress. Becoming a real pain
    when it is calm no problem. Any ideas
    thought about pulling rope with boat in the opposite direction as wind but am concerned of getting caught in prop

It happens if you pull enough. I have pulled up to the pots, looked at the wind and waves and said; be back tomorrow. I have a rear steering station now and it helps being able to put the boat in gear and lessen the tension on the line. But sometimes having a person on board to keep the boat in position helps. Don't tell me that your wife can't run the boat! If she is out there with you she should know how to run the boat and the radio if something happens to you. Once, I took a rookie out so I printed up a; How to use the marine radio instruction sheet for her.

If you pull pots enough, yes there will be those days where things aren't going to go as planned. I think maybe 2-3 times in 18 years I have wrapped the line around the outdrive. Now that gets interesting. Your best bet is to have someone on board that can keep the boat in position.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I will just go ahead and be the first to say it. Get an electradyne and you will have no more worries.

Comment

that puller wont make a difference on how the wind or tide is affecting the boat. i know people pimp those things up but i dont think it can change the weather. If the wind and tides is messing with you that much you could cleat the rope off to the back of the boat and motor towards deeper water to try and pull them off the bottom quicker maybe (so they would just be hanging in the water column and off the ground)I think losing pots and hanging up on the bottom is just part of the game some times. First time we ever dropped pots i lost 2 out of 3 on the bottom. pretty sure the bridals got hung up in coral and i couldnt break the coral free. Bridals rope ended up snapping. Worst part was that i was borrowing the pots from my friend.
        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

You mean like this. Coral is some of the toughest stuff out there. This piece is good sized but I have seen one piece that covered the bed of a 6' pickup.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by jkswor View Post
            Been having problems pulling pots with wind and current against the boat
            when I catch the buoy and hook rope to puller the wind/current
            pushes against the boat causing stress on the puller and line and sometimes causes a hang up of a pot on the bottom
            wonder. Wondering what I’m doing wrong. Sometimes the puller will shut down from the stress. Becoming a real pain
            when it is calm no problem. Any ideas
            thought about pulling rope with boat in the opposite direction as wind but am concerned of getting caught in prop
            when ya 1st grab the buoy drive up into the current while hauling the gear so you get up over the top of the pots. If you just grab and start hauling the boat is acting like a sail/sea anchor and your dragging the pots to you across the bottom and grappling them into hangs on the bottom. Keep knocking boat into gear while hauling into the current till you get about 1/2 the buoyline up by then pots will be off bottom and hanging straight up & down. Make sure pots are bridled on their sides/corners that makes them stronger so if you do hang down they shouldn't mangle to bad.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ED Toggle with bridle.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2757630
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

Comment

Another caution is if your line is tight and you are moving the boat to relieve tension,, pull line out off the puller/davit and cleat it off to the stern. I busted my davit and it busted cover on my fiberglass bait box...and would have killed anyone in its path. Some days with not ideal conditions it is best to leave them soak. As mentioned they can also hook up on bottom and further pulling them might break them off. All part of the learning game, its not always perfect!!

Comment

Rigged as Steve has shown is pretty common knowledge however it can be improved upon!
                most pots are constructed with pretty light wire which can end up like the one further down in this thread. Ive never wrapped one around something like that one but i have deformed the bridal end on occasion.
                to remedy this i made a couple modifications that have worked very well over the years.
                1. If you have entrances on all 4 sides the pot will be weakest on the bridal side, remedy, only have entrances on the two sides. Leave the front solid and use half the back for a dump door thats in a more natural position. No more flipping them this way or that to get the shrimp out. Think deadliest catch style pot!
                2. Go to the box store and buy some fiberglass drive way markers. Cut some pieces as long as the pots are tall, sew them into the corners with mule tape and paint this addition with marine epoxy.
                now retie the bridal exactly like before and you’ll be stylin.

this corner trick works very well on conventional pots too, saving you the cost of a bunch of new gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
                  most pots are constructed with pretty light wire which can end up like the one further down in this thread. Ive never wrapped one around something like that
                  Disclaimer here. My twisted up pot is 18 gauge and does not compare to the quality of most purchased pots one bit. I bought the roll because it was the only thing available in Valdez to make pots out of. This was an experimental pot. I have some little ones stored away that are 12-14 gauge. Way more rugged.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I'm a one man show..so when I was putting this project together I wanted more cabin space but knew that it would make things more difficult when I need things to work hassle free..(bad weather). Glad I stayed with the short cabin...its warm dry and comfortable enough. My puller motor and control is "indoors". I can steer from the entry way but have to take a small step for in/out of gear and throttle inputs. Glad I stayed with the short cabin. In calm weather its easy enough to use a boat hook to grab gear. If its sporty, at all, I use the little grapple hook in the picture. Its on a toggle so I can't lose it and lengthed so it can't be prop fouled Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08160 (2).JPG
Views:	211
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2757649
                    Attached Files

Comment

Garak: You are pulling off the side with no davit arm? I've done that in the past but no more. A davit with a pulley at the end will give you more flexibility on the angle of pull. Your puller is tight to the side of the cabin. I've seen that before but not a fan of it. I think I'd get a davit with a swivel pulley on the end.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I always approach from the shallow and pull toward the deep. This ensures you are not dragging the pots upslope. Then put the stern into the wind and apply whatever power and steerage you need to keep the pots close to vertical. I think each boat is different though so you just have to play with it.
                        "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
                        MMSI#

Comment

Gary,
                          You have a nice set up there do you haul just over the rail roller or is the hauling block used somehow ? I think a nice A frame style davit would make things much easier for you or if your house roof is strong enough you could set up a telescoping style davit you know a pipe in a pipe set up on the roof. I rigged up a temp outside steering on my gillnetter using a socket and a u joint in some conduit tubing, the u joint plugs into the socket mounted on the wheel and also set up a simple conduit with a bolt to put the boat into gear. Net cork makes a nice steering knob also.

Name:	mk outside steering 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2757682 Click image for larger version

Name:	mk outside steering 3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2757683
                          sigpic
                          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                          alaskashrimppots.com
                          907 775 1692

Comment

here's a nice A frame davit boat is only 23ft.

Name:	23 crowley A frame.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2757685
                            or maybe this style on a 22ft.

Name:	22duffy 2.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2757686
                            sigpic
                            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                            alaskashrimppots.com
                            907 775 1692

Comment

from the bow nice and simple Click image for larger version

Name:	22 duffy.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2757688
                              sigpic
                              Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                              Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                              alaskashrimppots.com
                              907 775 1692