Report from the field.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report from the field.

well, the pied piper of shrimping gathered up a fair group over the weekend. Being too lazy to pull all the bags out of the ice for a picture, i just included the head bucket. 14 gallons of goodness for the compost pile!

didnt see many serious shrimpers, lots of wanna-be bear hunters running more than looking. Had one group of three boats that were particularly annoying at the anchorage, shooting into the water repeatedly after 11:00pm. Had seal bombs too!

anyway, knowing they were habitual late sleepers we arose this morning like every other except once the ground tackle was on board i made a high speed 180 and wove thru them kindof like knitting sweaters! Couldnt see the faces but took great joy in knowing that Mrs.Karma was looking them square in the eye!

hopefully Mrs. Karma reminded them" your not in Kansas anymore toto!
    Last edited by Alasgun; 05-04-2020, 18:04.

I don't understand half your post but nice catch!

Comment

Nice job Mike!
      Yes shooting late at night, seal bombs etc. should not be acceptable.
      It's good to hear your enjoying your retirement time.lol

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
        Nice job Mike!
        Yes shooting late at night, seal bombs etc. should not be acceptable.
        Yep, kids will be kids and that's all fine and good, but some of them never grow up.....unfortunately!

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
          well, the pied piper of shrimping gathered up a fair group over the weekend. Being too lazy to pull all the bags out of the ice for a picture, i just included the head bucket. 14 gallons of goodness for the compost pile!

didnt see many serious shrimpers, lots of wanna-be bear hunters running more than looking. Had one group of three boats that were particularly annoying at the anchorage, shooting into the water repeatedly after 11:00pm. Had seal bombs too!

anyway, knowing they were habitual late sleepers we arose this morning like every other except once the ground tackle was on board i made a high speed 180 and wove thru them kindof like knitting sweaters! Couldnt see the faces but took great joy in knowing that Mrs.Karma was looking them square in the eye!

I was on one of the boats in that anchorage. Not one that was shooting. I didn’t notice your sweater knitting action and based on nobody from the group saying anything, I don’t think anyone did. It sounds like you didn’t like what someone did and decided it was a good idea to act like a child. Congrats, you’re the big winner, Dorothy.
          An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Comment

Oh and you can count us in the not so serious group of shrimpers too. We sleep in, pull pots later than most, and don’t catch that many shrimp. We only did 34 gallons of tails between the three boats that weekend.

Comment

... i just included the head bucket. 14 gallons of goodness for the compost pile!
              Compost pile?!?!?!? You're missing out on a free delicious treat. Before relegating the shells to the compost pile, pile them all into a giant stock pot, raise it to a boil, lower it to a simmer for a couple hours then strain through a couple layers of cheeseclloth. You'll have the best seafood stock ever. Stock that restaurants would drool to have!! I do the same with store bought shrimp and the next day enjoy some seafood bisque that rivals any you'd get in a fine restaurant.

Comment

Let's see that recipe!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                  Let's see that recipe!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Any recipe off the interweb will do. I finely chop onions, celery, carrots, clove of garlic and saute in butter until tender. Deglaze with whatever alcohol you have around (brandy, sherry, white wine) and add herbs and the stock. Add heavy cream and whatever seafood you have on hand (fish, shrimp, clams, mussels, lobster, crab). Top with some homemade croutons (french's fried onions will do in a pinch).

Comment

Originally posted by MaximumPenetration View Post

Oh and you can count us in the not so serious group of shrimpers too. We sleep in, pull pots later than most, and don’t catch that many shrimp. We only did 34 gallons of tails between the three boats that weekend.
                    Just so I get this right, and understand what you are saying...

3 boats = 9 pots
                    weekend = 2 nights, 3 days, maybe 4 rounds through the gear
                    that is up to 36 pot lifts
                    34 gallons of tails = 99 pounds of tails = 198 pounds whole
                    198/36 = 5.5 CPUE
                    The highest we ever see is up to that, verified by ADFG pot survey
                    Last year, sport fishers averaged 1.72 CPUE

How do you AVERAGE two times more than either recreational or commercial fishermen? You would have to have some pots with 7-8 pounds whole in them. Did you take a picture of that?

So, what is it that you are doing to catch more than anybody else, besides sleeping in? Or is this another shrimp tale? Curious, because I could use some more sleeping in.
                    PolarMarine.net

Comment

Originally posted by KenaiFly View Post

Just so I get this right, and understand what you are saying...

3 boats = 9 pots
                      weekend = 2 nights, 3 days, maybe 4 rounds through the gear
                      that is up to 36 pot lifts
                      34 gallons of tails = 99 pounds of tails = 198 pounds whole
                      198/36 = 5.5 CPUE
                      The highest we ever see is up to that, verified by ADFG pot survey
                      Last year, sport fishers averaged 1.72 CPUE

How do you AVERAGE two times more than either recreational or commercial fishermen? You would have to have some pots with 7-8 pounds whole in them. Did you take a picture of that?

So, what is it that you are doing to catch more than anybody else, besides sleeping in? Or is this another shrimp tale? Curious, because I could use some more sleeping in.
                      Thursday through Sunday for two boats, one stayed until Tuesday. 3 pulls a day, morning, 2pm, and evening. We actually ate a couple gallons of shrimp while we were out there, so we actually caught more than what we brought back. I pulled my pots 8 times I figure. The worst pull we had was 4 gallons whole for 3 pots on my boat.

Like I said, I’m no pro. Just doing it for fun.

Comment

34 gallons of tails seemed like a stretch to me as well but since im the original bad guy here, i didnt say anything!

i would be wildly ecstatic to being home 34 gallons of tails over a weekend! Course, then i wouldnt know what to do with them cause me an Gram only eat them a couple times a month.

And, id like to see a picture as well!!!

Comment

34 gallons of tails seemed like a stretch to me as well but since im the original bad guy here, i didnt say anything!

i would be wildly ecstatic to being home 34 gallons of tails over a weekend! Course, then i wouldnt know what to do with them cause me an Gram only eat them a couple times a month.

And, id like to see a picture as well!!!
                          I brought home 14 gallons from my boat. The others didn’t bring home quite as much. The other guys math is not right. You know the area we shrimped. Running the math with his numbers for weight ratio of tails to whole shrimp, I calculate a 3.39 CPUE. I estimate last year I probably did a CPUE of 1-1.3 maybe. I’d say the area, better bait, and better pots has almost tripled my success. There are 18 bags in this cooler, two layers of 8 and the couple on top. I don’t overstuff the bags because I like to ice them well. I may be off by a gallon either way when I say 14, but I think it’s a solid estimate.Click image for larger version  Name:	D2AC19AF-CA32-4FD0-A0E6-1F11CD961A7C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	2755982

Comment

Originally posted by MaximumPenetration View Post

I brought home 14 gallons from my boat. The others didn’t bring home quite as much. The other guys math is not right. You know the area we shrimped. Running the math with his numbers for weight ratio of tails to whole shrimp, I calculate a 3.39 CPUE. I estimate last year I probably did a CPUE of 1-1.3 maybe. I’d say the area, better bait, and better pots has almost tripled my success. There are 18 bags in this cooler, two layers of 8 and the couple on top. I don’t overstuff the bags because I like to ice them well. I may be off by a gallon either way when I say 14, but I think it’s a solid estimate.Click image for larger version Name:	D2AC19AF-CA32-4FD0-A0E6-1F11CD961A7C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	2755982
                            Those two bags on top look like maybe a half gallon per bag to me, maybe...probably closer to a third of a gallon. This is the problem with reporting shrimp in gallons. The easiest way to tell how much shrimp that is would be to take it out of the bag, put it into a gallon of water then pull the shrimp out and see how much water is left, I bet you'll be surprised.
                            I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

Those two bags on top look like maybe a half gallon per bag to me, maybe...probably closer to a third of a gallon. This is the problem with reporting shrimp in gallons. The easiest way to tell how much shrimp that is would be to take it out of the bag, put it into a gallon of water then pull the shrimp out and see how much water is left, I bet you'll be surprised.
                              Each of those two bags were about 2/3 of a gallon. They were the lightest bags of the group. And I report my shrimp in gallons of whole shrimp in 5 gallon buckets, measured in the bucket without water.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X