Unusual and/or Interesting Shrimp Pot Catches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual and/or Interesting Shrimp Pot Catches

Since bycatch doesn't seem to be uncommon when hauling shrimp pots, I thought it would be interesting to share stories/pics of interesting catches in pots.
    We had a critter that we caught in Unakwik this past weekend that I couldnt ID. Any insight into identification would be appreciated!

I tried not to get too upset since I did get a beer out of it, but when we pulled our first overnight set this year, there was a budweiser in the pot and all the ties had been replaced. Someone had obviously checked it which I was not excited abut. My optimism says it was the troopers being nice, but realistically, I think someone pulled the string. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas of what may have transpired?

Comment

Hmm, honest thieves? Most thieves dont replace the zip ties. Sure is wasnt one pf your buds pranking you?

Comment

If my pots came up with that much shrimp in them and a beer every time I would be thrilled!

I believe that creature is called a squat lobster. There is a facebook group called "unusual marine life of Alaska" that is actually a great resource for identifying stuff.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-39 (1).png Views:	0 Size:	748.9 KB ID:	2754987This is the strangest thing i have ever caught. Basket Starfish. I've had my pots moved three times so far this year.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-27-2020, 20:31.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

We set in unakwik Friday night till Sunday and did good. No one messed with our sets, that we could tell. Did have someone drop 200 yards from me. I was surprised since there wasn’t a pot for miles. We both ended up pulling at the same time. Our boats were about 70yards apart when we got out pots up.
            Good luck and hopefully the thieves stay away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The most interesting one I can recall was a string of pots covered in crinoids (feather stars). We had pulled the best set I've ever seen - every pot was stuffed with shrimp, so we set them back down in what I thought was the same spot. The next pull had zero shrimp, but every pot was covered in 10-20 crinoids. Weird. I sure wish I could see what was so different about the bottom between the two sets.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X