Ice auger pot puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice auger pot puller

Buddy made this for the boat. Pulled up a 40 pound kettle bell with barely any throttle we will see how it works tomorrow first time shrimping.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

This could get interesting. I believe they have the motor upright for a reason when using it used as an auger. Do you have splints, 3" square gauze and medical tape on board? Buy a Power Winch and you can pull the anchor and pots too. I used to do it that way.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Here is mine made from a cannon downrigger base and a wheel chair motor. Its been in use for 3 seasons so far and i've been blown away by this puller. I have a string of 3 pots and it pulls up with ease at slack tide. It has enoigh pulling power to handle pulling into currents as well.

I will be sanding down the salt rust and paint the boom to slow down the salt rust.

Version 2 will be made from ss nuts/bolts along with a solid aluminum boom.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow!.………...

Comment

Double Wow!

Comment

Well it worked alright until we found out our last 2 pots hung up on the bottom. Fought them for 45 minutes doing circles around the pots to free them with no avail. Broke the last 2 pots off at the bridals. I cant believe those pots dont give a little or bend out of the rocks. Would have had a great pull if we got them off since we had a gallon in the one pot we got back. Guess that's part of it though eh. Maybe next time we try a spot that's not so steep.

Comment

Use floating line on the last 300' of the string to keep it off the bottom. If you get into coral, that is some of the toughest stuff you will ever try to bust out of. Some people use two buoys, one on each end. That way you can pull from either end. I have hung up before but don't do circles. I go East, then West..... North.... South. A circle may just wind the rope around what you are hung up on. Welcome to shrimping.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Ya I had 270 feet of floating line with the pots spaced out 70' apart for the bottom line. Just sucks it was our first try and lost them. We will figure it out

Comment

Glad to hear the puller worked. It sure beats manual labor. How heavy are your pots?

Im plannimg on making a run this weekend it weather permits

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                    Well it worked alright until we found out our last 2 pots hung up on the bottom. Fought them for 45 minutes doing circles around the pots to free them with no avail. Broke the last 2 pots off at the bridals. I cant believe those pots dont give a little or bend out of the rocks. Would have had a great pull if we got them off since we had a gallon in the one pot we got back. Guess that's part of it though eh. Maybe next time we try a spot that's not so steep.

Pots likely were held fast with rope vs actual pot. I got em stuck before and the pots will distort.
                    However, if it snapped your bridle, Iím thinking it was hung up on the bridle.
                    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    BK Marine Services 232-6399
                    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Ya that makes sense. Both bridals were broke right before the knot on the long line clip. When I picked up my main line from Steve I got some bridals and toggles will be putting those on the new pots when I get them. Hoping to get out again Thursday or Saturday but going to try a new spot hopefully with a few less snags. Surprised no matter which way I tried to yank them off, the rocks/coral would not give them up.

Comment

when ya first grab the buoy try to run up on the buoyline so your not dragging the gear towards the boat, usually by the time you get most of the buoyline up the pots are hanging straight up and down anyway but running up helps haul them off the bottom before they hang down.
                        sigpic
                        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                        alaskashrimppots.com
                        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                        907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                          when ya first grab the buoy try to run up on the buoyline so your not dragging the gear towards the boat, usually by the time you get most of the buoyline up the pots are hanging straight up and down anyway but running up helps haul them off the bottom before they hang down.
                          I need to start pulling like that. Iím getting good numbers but I see shrimp escaping from the pots as soon as they are insight. I can only imagine how many Iím losing when dragging them along bottom. Maybe I just need to run your pots again! Trying rounds this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shrimp will always swim out of the pots. My best pot design had 1/4" mesh on the bottom, one end and back you around the top. No doors on the end opposite the bridle. So when you pulled the shrimp all went to the end with the 1/4" on three sides. But then you end up with a lot of small shrimp too.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

when they see the light of day they can see the way out of the pots !ever think its the smaller shrimp going through the wire or webbing as intended so there is something left to grow up and make more.
                              sigpic
                              Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                              Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                              Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                              alaskashrimppots.com
                              akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                              907 775 1692

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...