Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimping and New to Alaska

Good Morning,

I just moved to Soldotna and would like to get out to Whittier for shrimping. I have a few questions and need some advice. I have an 18 foot river sled with a 50hp, will that be safe enough out of Whittier if conditions are ok? How far of a run out of Whittier do you have to travel to the shrimp grounds? I would like to attempt it this weekend and would like to be somewhat prepared. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
    I have always shrimped in Washington for spot shrimp so I have an idea the gear, bait and approximate depths needed. I need some advice on where to go and how to stay safe.

Thank you,
    Matt Richards

A flat-bottomed boat is certainly not ideal, but if you stick close to the harbor on calm days, you can make it work. Be aware, though, that the winds can pick up quickly and things can get nasty quickly, even right in front of the harbor in Whittier. In fact, it's pretty common for Passage Canal to be the roughest part of the trip when venturing out into the Sound.

There is decent to good shrimping within a 10-20 minute run out of Whittier. Find areas that look steep around 400-600 feet and drop some pots. I've done very well in sight of the harbor many times, so it's definitely worth trying.

Comment

This was from a pull within sight of the harbor (from a couple years ago when the pot limit was four).

Comment

Thanks for the information and picture!! At least I know its worth giving a shot and don't have to venture out too far.

If I make it out I'll give you an update on my outing

Comment

Having a chart plotter will really help. One of the most common newbie mistakes is dropping your pots with 450' from the last pot to the buoy in water 500' deep.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

call or pm me i can help you get rigged up correctly. www.alaskashrimppots.com
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

Comment

Theres a lot to know and many things about this big land that a "new to Alaska" person may not comprehend at first. This is a place where the difference between flourising and perishing are determined by your understanding, your preparedness and the grace of God. Your in control of the first two!

We all consider the weather to be the biggest factor when making decissions about when to go or when to stay and this involves more than just looking out the window where your at. Prudent Alaskans understand this and on occasion even the best laid plans come crashing down around you due to the fickle nature of our weather.

whether or not to go out of Whittier in a river boat is a personal decision but even if you were in a 40 ft. Boat, the weather is still going to be a factor. In the bigger boat you have more things in your favor and thats what this is all about.

Search (Windy.com) and save it on your phone or home computer, its one of the best weather resources we have. Look at it frequently, up to a week before your trip is not too often. Learn how to read "the trends"' so you can make good choices and plan your trips acording to the weather rather than your days off. Before retiring, i had a cushy slope job with a 2/2 schedule and even with two weeks off every month had occasions where boating just wasnt possible.

Be safe out there, go prepared and take pictures.

Comment

When you pull through the tunnel and see that the wind is blowing out the bay, it tends to lay down around Decision Point. If it is blowing in turn around and go home. Blowing out...go out. Blowing in, stay in. I tend to shake my head when I see flat bottomed river sleds launching in the salt. Can it be done? Absolutely, but I wouldn't.
                sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X