Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Shoot the Messenger

Sport & Personal Use Fishing in Valdez

On April 13th, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game published a press release (https://bit.ly/2z0zf9M) and a follow-on clarification (https://bit.ly/3coYNMb) stating sport and personal use fishing in Alaska remains open.

Although most travel between Alaskan communities remains prohibited under state health mandate 012, the public may travel to fishing locations.

However, City of Valdez Local Health Mandate #001 does not exempt sport and personal use fishing as critical infrastructure.
    Those wishing to engage in sport or personal use fishing within Valdez city limits or who intend to utilize city facilities – including the boat launch – to reach fishing locations outside of the city shall complete a “City of Valdez COVID-19 Sport & Personal Fishing Agreement”.
    The agreement form (available here: www.valdezak.gov/COVID-19) must be submitted and approved by Ports & Harbors Department staff *prior* to engaging in fishing activities. Email completed forms to harbor@valdezak.gov (preferred method) or drop off at the Valdez Harbormaster’s Office.
    Sport and personal use fishermen traveling to or through Valdez to fish must also:
    Find the resource you intend to pursue as close to your home residence as possible (i.e. launch or drop your vessel at the closest harbor to your home residence).
    Review and comply with all local mandates in communities you plan to travel to or through. (Valdez mandates are available here: www.valdezak.gov/COVID-19)
    Provision your trip completely from your community of origin. Don’t plan on buying food, drinks, bait or even fuel (if possible) after you begin your trip and until you return home.
    Practice social (physical) distancing with anyone not considered part of your immediate household, including while traveling from your community of origin to your fishing location.
    Wear cloth face coverings as suggested in State of Alaska Health Alert 010 (coronavirus.alaska.gov) issued April 3, 2020.
    Avoid use of City of Valdez fish processing and photograph stations.
    Avoid sheltering or lodging within Valdez city limits or the Valdez Harbors.
    Drop or launch your boat in an expedited manner upon arriving in Valdez and depart the Valdez Harbor as soon as practicable.
    Leave Valdez immediately after completing fishing.
    Please contact the Valdez Harbormaster at 907.835.4981 or harbor@valdezak.gov with questions or for additional guidance.
    Please remember, the COVID-19 situation is very dynamic. What we share is current as of the time of the post. It is subject to change at 5pm or over time.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Wow. I thought the virus nazis were only active Outside.... Thanks, Dave.

I wonder what their legal justification and privacy policies are regarding this PII they're demanding.

No problem following the requested guidance; other than buying bait, fuel or food it's my regular MO when visiting Valdez--hit it fast and leave it fast! Oh, and I usually don't wear a bandana....

I notice they did not mention use of the boat wash station--have you heard anything about that? I do like to rinse the salt off after launching and retrieving.

Comment

If they did not mention the wash down station, use it and plead ignorance. Usually people social distance from me when I have my hose out. When I first read it I thought it meant everyone. My PTSD hit the freaking roof. First pot check tomorrow:topjob:

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Good luck! Pics or it didn't happen!!!!

Comment

So your closest port.....they just banned anchorage without banning anchorage.

Comment

Well the first pull was a bust. Only a quart of tails for 24 hours. So I was in 450ish so I moved to 350ish. If that fails the new real-estate will be in order. Still testing the new maintence repairs to the engine so once confident, I'll move a few miles out.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
              Well the first pull was a bust. Only a quart of tails for 24 hours. So I was in 450ish so I moved to 350ish. If that fails the new real-estate will be in order. Still testing the new maintence repairs to the engine so once confident, I'll move a few miles out.
              Vicarious shrimping with Dave!

Thanks for the update and good luck with the next pull.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                Well the first pull was a bust. Only a quart of tails for 24 hours.
                That's a quart more than I have! Coming down next week, Dave. Don't catch them all.

Comment

There are some changes to the rules coming out shortly. But I haven't got them yet. I did find out that the fuel dock is only open weekdays 9 to 5.
                  Closed weekends.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Still no update on the New Rules. But gas at the fuel dock was $2.00. The lowest I have ever seen.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

The only thing that has changed is the form you have to fill out is no longer required.

"The mandate is effective April 21, 2020 at 10:00 p.m. and remains in effect until May 20, 2020 unless otherwise provided by a vote of the City Council.

With the approval of the amended mandate, the Valdez Sport & Personal Use Fishing Agreement Form is no longer necessary."

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Some new changes to visiting Valdez. Greatly reduced requirements and friendlier.
                        http://www.valdezak.gov/DocumentCent...5012020?bidId=

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Good to see a tiny bit of common sense creeping into the virus nazi crowd. How much is diesel in town, Dave?

Comment

Never been to Valdez, thinking of taking camper that way Memorial Day weekend. Is there much for shore fishing that time? Sounds like maybe a little early to try off Allison Point?

Comment

Originally posted by akgriz View Post
                              Good to see a tiny bit of common sense creeping into the virus nazi crowd. How much is diesel in town, Dave?
                              I think I paid $2.09 the other day.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X