Carrying Spare Shrimp Pots Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying Spare Shrimp Pots Redux

This topic has been hashed and re-hashed--yes, I know. Bottom line, as it now stands, it is illegal to carry more than the allowed number of "pots per vessel." Here's my question(s)/comment: why is it the "Greenies" heads have not exploded over this issue? What can we non-politicians do to change this ridiculous law?

Consider this scenario: I head out 60 miles one way to drop my 3 pots, burning 35 gallons of fossil fuel in the process. I bait up and successfully drop two of them. My third (thankfully unbaited) pot accidently falls overboard and is lost when I stub my toe on a bait can. Since I cannot legally carry extra pots onboard, I now (if I want to fish my full allocation of pots) have to burn 70 gallons of fossil fuel just to go back to the dock to pick up another pot and return to my spot. I discover that this additional fuel burn contributes over half a metric ton of greenhouse gas equivalent (0.662 metric tons to be precise). Where are the Greenies with their signs????

The fact is if someone is going to cheat and fish too many pots, they're going to cheat and fish too many pots. The only conceivable justification for this policy is to make it easier for LEOs to check people at the dock (as if a cheater won't find a way around that!)--so why don't we change it to protect the environment, and leave the law-abiding people alone?

So, we can carry spare rods, a spare net, spare hooks, line, weights, bait, etc., but not a spare pot? Really? Who came up with this idiocy? Probably the same moron who programs traffic lights to trip when a single vehicle pulls up--stopping a line of 20 or more vehicles going 55 MPH and running as efficiently as is possible, causing God knows how much brake dust to be pumped into the atmosphere and 20 vehicles to pump massive amounts of exhaust as they start rolling again--all so one individual is not "inconvenienced!" //end rant

Bottom line, anyone have any ideas to bring some common sense into this equation?

You do realize this law also makes it harder to steal your pots?
    If they get caught with their pots and yours on the water or at the dock they will at least get a fine. And if your names on the gear there's a chance, albeit slim, you'll get your gear back.
    I'm not necessarily for or against this one but I can see the benefits.
    Good luck getting the greenies on this one.
    If they had their way you wouldn't have a motor on your boat at all.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by akgriz View Post
      Probably the same moron who programs traffic lights to trip when a single vehicle pulls up--stopping a line of 20 or more vehicles going 55 MPH and running as efficiently as is possible, causing God knows how much brake dust to be pumped into the atmosphere and 20 vehicles to pump massive amounts of exhaust as they start rolling again--all so one individual is not "inconvenienced!" //end rant
      You said a mouthful there brother...!!! :topjob:

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
        You do realize this law also makes it harder to steal your pots?
        If they get caught with their pots and yours on the water or at the dock they will at least get a fine. And if your names on the gear there's a chance, albeit slim, you'll get your gear back.
        I'm not necessarily for or against this one but I can see the benefits.
        Good luck getting the greenies on this one.
        If they had their way you wouldn't have a motor on your boat at all.

I have to agree. The rule is to keep everyone honest.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

A guy who's likely to lose a pot overboard and send it ghost fishing for god knows how long because he stubs his toe on a bait can....probably ought not call other people morons.:rolleyes:
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            A guy who's likely to lose a pot overboard and send it ghost fishing for god knows how long because he stubs his toe on a bait can....probably ought not call other people morons.:rolleyes:
            Legally he is required to have an escape panel with 100% cotton twine that biodegrades allowing shrimp to escape so thankfully that theoretical moron won't be ghost fishing his pot for long.

Seriously though, like all laws this one is designed to keep honest people honest. Just like a door lock keeps an honest thief from walking through your door, not having an extra pot keeps honest folk from getting it wet...accidentally or otherwise.

Commercial fisheries are held to the same standard they cannot have more pots, or length of net or line than allowed...it keeps people honest.
            I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I haven't been to the fuel dock yet so don't know the price there. I stopped off at the gas station at the blinking light and filled the boat up there. I usually don't look at the price but did, $1.90 per gallon:whistle:. Going to be out a lot this summer!

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                I haven't been to the fuel dock yet so don't know the price there. I stopped off at the gas station at the blinking light and filled the boat up there. I usually don't look at the price but did, $1.90 per gallon:whistle:. Going to be out a lot this summer!
                Yep, that's good news! Are they still asking those of us from "out of town" to bring our own gas, or have you heard anything? I'll be sure to do my part to keep the greenies happy--no tripping on those God-awful bait cans for me even though gas is cheaper!

Realizing you have no issues with the carrying limit on pots, I'd still like your opinion on a procedure to attempt to get the policy changed. I don't buy the "makes it harder to steal your pots" argument, as I believe a dedicated thief will steal regardless; my real heartburn is the total inconsistency involved--we can have duplicates/extras of almost anything else, but because a few "might" abuse the privilege those of us who want to be good citizens are denied the privilege. I've got 14 rods and reels on board--but usually only 2-3 people--oh, the horror!!!

Comment

Just follow the guidelines that the Commissioner of F&G. I saw someone in the fuel dock today on the south shore but did not need fuel. I wish there was a way to label pots with the owners names so they could not be taken off. I have lost several, top pots on my string. And I use the net size bigger clips too. I have that many rods Akgriz but may only have six on board at a time. Just not enough room for carrying all that. If you need truck fuel, the gas station at the flashing light is your best, open air, avoiding people spot to go. Lots of porta potties set up for the seiners. I finally dropped pots this morning, the hunt is on!

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Have you considered that compliance with regulations for fin fish can be determined by the number of fishing licenses on board and the bag and possession limit for the various species? Since there is no bag or possession limit for shrimp, the only manner to determine compliance is by the number of pots on board.

Comment

Originally posted by AKFish53 View Post
                      Have you considered that compliance with regulations for fin fish can be determined by the number of fishing licenses on board and the bag and possession limit for the various species? Since there is no bag or possession limit for shrimp, the only manner to determine compliance is by the number of pots on board.
                      I understand your point; however, compliance could easily (and I believe should) be determined by the number of pots in the water attached to buoys--just as compliance with the "one fisher one pole in the water" rule is verified (they don't count the number of poles on board; just the number being used). Is not the intent of the order to limit the number of pots in the water? The frustrating thing is I believe most of us have no intention of exceeding the allowable number of pots fished--for me it's the "what-if" of being many miles out and having something happen that requires a run back in to pick up additional pot(s) (one can always stub their toe on a bait can, damage a pot in pulling or even have pots bounce out of the raft in rough seas (as happened to a well-known member of this forum)).

The beatings will continue until morale improves, and punish the innocent to get at the guilty. Some things never change!

Comment

The legal limit is just that a limit.
                        There is no law stating you must run the maximum number of pots.
                        You could still have an enjoyable weekend fishing with one less pot.
                        And save yourself a ton of gas, $$$, and the greenhouse gases to the environment.
                        You might get a few less shrimp but one could argue that's just the nature of fishing anyway.
                        There are no guarantees.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by akgriz View Post
                          This topic has been hashed and re-hashed--yes, I know. Bottom line, as it now stands, it is illegal to carry more than the allowed number of "pots per vessel." Here's my question(s)/comment: why is it the "Greenies" heads have not exploded over this issue? What can we non-politicians do to change this ridiculous law?

Consider this scenario: I head out 60 miles one way to drop my 3 pots, burning 35 gallons of fossil fuel in the process. I bait up and successfully drop two of them. My third (thankfully unbaited) pot accidently falls overboard and is lost when I stub my toe on a bait can. Since I cannot legally carry extra pots onboard, I now (if I want to fish my full allocation of pots) have to burn 70 gallons of fossil fuel just to go back to the dock to pick up another pot and return to my spot. I discover that this additional fuel burn contributes over half a metric ton of greenhouse gas equivalent (0.662 metric tons to be precise). Where are the Greenies with their signs????

The fact is if someone is going to cheat and fish too many pots, they're going to cheat and fish too many pots. The only conceivable justification for this policy is to make it easier for LEOs to check people at the dock (as if a cheater won't find a way around that!)--so why don't we change it to protect the environment, and leave the law-abiding people alone?

So, we can carry spare rods, a spare net, spare hooks, line, weights, bait, etc., but not a spare pot? Really? Who came up with this idiocy? Probably the same moron who programs traffic lights to trip when a single vehicle pulls up--stopping a line of 20 or more vehicles going 55 MPH and running as efficiently as is possible, causing God knows how much brake dust to be pumped into the atmosphere and 20 vehicles to pump massive amounts of exhaust as they start rolling again--all so one individual is not "inconvenienced!" //end rant

Bottom line, anyone have any ideas to bring some common sense into this equation?
                          I haven't been real active on the forums for a while. Where does it say in the regulation book that we can't carry whatever gear we want on the boat? We are allowed to fish 3 pots at a time, but they can't control how many we have on the boat. If that's the case, I guess they could pull me over in Soldotna while I'm taking my boat to the gas station in preparation to leave to whittier and ticket me for having 5 pots on the deck of my boat.

Can you please share with me what makes you think we can't take spare pots?

An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Comment

Rules, Laws are put in place to keep honest people honest and there is always someone that comes up with the " what if this happens why can't I do this" question. As stated above the limit of pots per boat is put in place for more than one reason. I.E. max that can be deployed, prevent thief, overfishing. etc. "Number of fishing rods on the boat" Just like the rules states only one rod maybe used per fisherman at a time. The reason for allowing multiple rods on the boat is based on the different applications and species to be targeted. Can one person use multiple rods at a time, can a boat carry more than they are aloud to carry in pots? sure they can and test your fate.

But ultimately rules are put in place because some people cannot be accountable for there own behavior and actions.
                            sigpic
                            Sweepint
                            Wasilla,
                            '' Livn' The Dream ''
                            26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Comment

Originally posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
                              ...Where does it say in the regulation book that we can't carry whatever gear we want on the boat?...Can you please share with me what makes you think we can't take spare pots?
                              Page 85 of the regulations: "2020: 3 pots per person, maximum of 3 pots per vessel." http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regulations/fishregulations/PDFs/southcentral/2020sc_sfregs_prince_william_sound.pdf
                              Also, in the EO: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Static-sf/EONR/PDFs/2020/R2/2-SHR-6-13-20.pdf
                              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X