COVID-19 Shrimp Opener - NEW INFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID-19 Shrimp Opener - NEW INFO

Who is going out on the 15th? Mandate says no community to community travel, but does this mean sport fishing out of whittier? I really don't even see anybody when I go there. I think the only person that talks to me is the tunnel clerk. Just wanted to know your thoughts or does this fall into the ethics issue? does one NEED to go get shrimp? Does one NEED to get fish for their freezer....or should we wait until the travel ban lifts?

You are allowed to go, but the city of Whittier has made it clear that there will be no building access (including the harbor master's office) and that boaters are to go directly to their vessel and nowhere else. Ethically...that's an interesting question. At this point I'm planning to go out for the two weekends of the commercial shrimp season that are currently scheduled, but that could change on how the situation unfolds over the next week.

Comment

All businesses are closed right now and no public restrooms in whittier.
      Hopefully people can respect others and be courteous at the ramp and everywhere else so we can enjoy these trips without dumbleavy restricting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ethically? I look at it this way. If I get out of town for a long weekend, I’m protecting MYSELF. I am in more danger of contracting this virus each and every day that I am here in town. If I can go somewhere remote without interacting with anyone, be it snowmachine, boat, plane or auto, that makes ME much better off. And when I come back to report to my essential job with the public, I’m much less likely bringing a bug with me to work, which makes YOU better off.

Go get your shrimp and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by overtime View Post
          All businesses are closed right now and no public restrooms in whittier.
          Hopefully people can respect others and be courteous at the ramp and everywhere else so we can enjoy these trips without dumbleavy restricting it.
          I'm just not sure how that can possibly work once things get truly busy. April isn't usually too bad, but if this keeps up through late May or into June and we get some nice weekend weather? It's chaotic down there when things are at their best.

I can't say that I blame the people of Whittier for wanting to minimize contact.

Comment

I don’t blame them either but I believe it’s inevitable.

Comment

This document answers your questions http://dhss.alaska.gov/News/Document...te-011-012.pdf

I think these are the points you are most interested in

How is “community” defined?
              The prohibition on travel between communities is designed so that people must use the closest available services to fulfill critical personal needs.Common sense applies – normal usage of location names and understanding of geographic separation applies when asking about community boundaries. For instance, Eagle River, Palmer, Wasilla, and Anchorage are all separate communities.You may only travel to another community for critical personal needs if you cannot meet those needs in your community.

Can I recreate with others outside my family?
              You are not prohibited from recreating with others outside your family, but you must stay six feet away from non-household members, and must stay in your community. You also must not be in a group larger than nine.

Can I leave my community to engage in outdoor recreation (such as snowmachining or camping)?
              Outdoor activity near your home is encouraged for your health and well-being.Alaskans are encouraged to recreate as close to home as possible, but if you must travel out of your community for recreation you are expected to take precautions, including: bring your own cleaning supplies and hand sanitizer; maintain social distancing of six feet or more from any non-household member; take the most direct routes and go straight to trailheads, parking lots, cabin or camping site;and avoiding contact with non-household members.When engaging in outdoor recreation, you must comply with social distancing requirements, including maintaining at least six feet distance from people who do not live in your immediate household.Social distancing requirements are in effect on paths, trails, sidewalks, riverbanks, beaches, parks, and anyplace outside on private or public property where people might gather.Crowds of 10 people or more are prohibited, even if you are at an outdoor location.

Can I drive somewhere to recreate?
              You are not prohibited from driving, but you must stay six feet away from non-household members,and are requested to stay in your community.

Ultimately common sense should rule the day, but obviously some of us do not have common sense. This site is a good source of information http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pa...9/default.aspx
              “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

how are folks going to pass each other on the ramp floats ? They ain't 6 ft wide so launch one boat at a time ??
                sigpic
                Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                alaskashrimppots.com
                akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                907 775 1692

Comment

Maybe people can wait in their boats until it needs moved or if someone is walking down the ramp. Or just carry a 6’ pole and knock them in the water if they get to close.

Comment

In addition to the new state mandate announced Thursday, three previously-issued state mandates have been reevaluated and extended:"Health Mandate 012, which limits intrastate travel between communities, and Health Mandate 011 requiring social distancing will both remain in effect until April 21 when they will be reviewed again. Health Mandate 006, which requires elective oral procedures to be postponed, will remain in effect until it is rescinded. Emergency dental care may be provided to relieve severe oral pain or treat infections. Read all the state mandates at https://gov.alaska.gov/home/covid19-healthmandates/"

Patriot Life Member NRA
                    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                      how are folks going to pass each other on the ramp floats ? They ain't 6 ft wide so launch one boat at a time ??
                      Maybe retrieve on one walk way and launch on the other? might take longer to launch, but at least you stay six feet away and can get in the water.

Comment

No difference as being in the grocery store. Either wait for them to pass, or wear a mask if you can't maintain 6', pass by and go about your business.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
                        ROLL TIDE
                        28' Raider Offshore w/Twin Suzuki 200's
                        MMSI# 338231009

Comment

Does anyone know if the fuel dock is open.

Comment

Everyone wants to get around the restrictions somehow. The sooner this round of travel restrictions ends in failure (and it will end in failure) the sooner we all get to start all over again, only next time more tightly restricted, and tighter controls. When that round fails, we start over again, and again, and again.
                            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

I contacted the mayor of Whittier and this is his response. Happy Shrimping!

"There is a lot of confusion around the interpretation of the State Mandates. My interpretation is this: I had shrimp for dinner tonight. I caught it last summer at the head of the bay. That makes it a subsistence activity which is allowed under State Mandate #12. Recreational activities that are outside of your community are also allowed under State Mandate #12 (See the State of Alaska FAQ page http://dhss.alaska.gov/News/Documents/press/2020/FAQs_03272020-SOA-COVID-19-Health-Mandate-011-012.pdf) but I prefer the “subsistence” description. We have other information on our webpage: http://whittieralaska.gov We have cleared off the snow from a significant portion of the parking lot in anticipation of Alaskans coming to Whittier to drop shrimp pots in Prince William Sound on April 15th. Don’t be surprised if we run out of parking though. We just don’t have enough space. The railroad owns most of the land here.

"To be clear, you must go directly from the tunnel to the launch ramp and then to the parking lot after you launch your boat. Keep your distance from other people not in your group, and it would be a good idea to wear a mask on the docks because it will be crowded. The public restrooms are closed and most of the businesses are closed so there is no reason to drive around town. There are people here in Whittier, just like you have there in Valdez and they have down in Cordova and other parts of Alaska, that would like to prohibit anyone other than full time residents from coming into our community but it is not possible because we are connected to the road system. Don’t be surprised if you get some dirty looks from the locals though. It’s nothing personal – they just haven’t read the State Mandates or FAQ page closely and still think travel between communities is prohibited except for essential business – or wish it was.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if there’s anything else.""

Patriot Life Member NRA
                              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X