Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I am curious. Why is this?

I know that there are reasons for telling people different things. An elder in Elim told me that they tell the kids not to throw sand because it causes storms. (Actually it gets in the hair and is hard to wash out.)
    My ex worked for the tribes eldercare program.
    Basically this was a home health type job.
    Some of the elders she worked for would ask if we ever got this or that native food or excess fish or ???
    So when we would harvest things if we had extra we always called some elders to gift them some.
    I haven't found much in AK I can't find or figure out where I can harvest something.
    So the ex would ask something like " if we ever come across some of xxxxx so and so is looking for some".
    And sometimes we harvested things just for these elders when we found it.
    I didn't always know how to cook it or even if I wanted to eat it but love the exploring and harvesting part.
    These were always respected elders who also taught us things and we're genuinely nice people.
    Plus if you knew me that's just how I am.
    I make, grow, and/or harvest a lot of things and giveaway a lot that I could sell or make/harvest/grow less of.
    And I do it just because I can.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

One of the more gratifying aspects of being a vocational education teacher in the bush communities was meeting elders. I had the keys to the shops and all the tools. I'd fix shotguns, sharpen auger blades and what there was a need for. They always wanted to pay. I refused and told them to make a donation to the school if they wanted to. They loved to tell me stories and I always listened. One gentleman in Shaktoolik was 86. The only thing he had ever done his whole life was to fish and hunt. Loved his stories.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
        ....If you can find the bigger mussels, steamed that are pretty good and even raw aren't bad....
        Don't get me wrong, years ago the mussels from Cook Inlet that we cooked up and ate were fantastic, but raw??? You're a brave soul! I read that mussels can retain more PSP than any other. But there again, who knows if that's true or not. Obviously you didn't get sick.....lol.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
          Don't get me wrong, years ago the mussels from Cook Inlet that we cooked up and ate were fantastic, but raw??? You're a brave soul! I read that mussels can retain more PSP than any other. But there again, who knows if that's true or not. Obviously you didn't get sick.....lol.
          This was before the scarcity of toilet paper.:topjob:

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            When it comes to PSP I don't think raw or cooked makes any difference (?).
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
              When it comes to PSP I don't think raw or cooked makes any difference (?).
              True statement

Comment

I am still getting used to navigating this site, where did you find the info on PSP?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X