Deepest Shrimping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deepest Shrimping

What's the deepest you've ever tried for shrimp? How successful were you? What time of year was it? Would you do it again?

There are draggers that work from 1,100-1,600' out in the Sound for sidestripes. Never dropped a pot that deep, but it would be interesting.

Comment

600 but not a good haul. It depends on where in the sound you go too.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

1000' and it sucked. 550-800 was the sweet spot for me, with 550-700 being the most consistent all season long.
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

Comment

My results are similar to PB. I start at 450 and drop the remaining pots in the line deeper. I get less bycatch beyond 450.
          sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

800ft. It was fairly productive

Comment

When I was young in WA, we would scuba dive for shrimp at night in Puget Sound. 80 feet or less. They would come up from the deep dark water then. Not sure how they behave in PWS but would think similar.
              -Tim

Comment

I normally look for steep and deep at 600 feet and drop my 2 pot string there. Who knows where it really ends up in its 10 minute sink to the bottom. Yeah it takes about that long. I then drop my single pot at 500 or so depending on my spot. I adjust from there. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by HKYDDY View Post
                  I normally look for steep and deep at 600 feet and drop my 2 pot string there. Who knows where it really ends up in its 10 minute sink to the bottom. Yeah it takes about that long. I then drop my single pot at 500 or so depending on my spot. I adjust from there. Good Luck

you need more iron in the pots
                  sigpic
                  Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                  Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                  Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                  alaskashrimppots.com
                  akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                  907 775 1692

Comment

Deepest I have tried is somewhere in the 700s. Deeper than 600 the catch of big spots went down and I was catching more stripes. I tend to stay between 400 and 550 any more.

Comment

If Iím shrimping in April when the water is colder Iíll start around 350. Iím usually at 600 by mid August. I usually do better earlier in the year for some reason.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X