3 Pots for PWS 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I pull pots every other day at least from April until July.
    Gezz, Dave.... every other day....! Either you are a lousy shrimper .. or you have a chit ton of shrimp in your freezer...! Suspect its the later.... just what do you do with all the shrimp...? Just asking?
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
      Gezz, Dave.... every other day....! Either you are a lousy shrimper .. or you have a chit ton of shrimp in your freezer...! Suspect its the later.... just what do you do with all the shrimp...? Just asking?
      I made the mistake of letting my family try some shrimp. I "used'' to send back two boxes of seafood a year to the family. The year my grandson graduated I took back 50 pounds for him. I lost my shipping source last year. About 1$ a pound to ship. So no more shipping shrimp for me.

On the other side, this year the shrimp thief's are thick. My pots have been raided and moved six or so times this year. NO, not drifting. The latches are moved from where I put them and i have plenty of line. A three pot string doesn't travel 300 yards uphill to a new area. I've been doing this a long time. It is a frustrating year. We think we know the boat......

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by extrema View Post
        "This seasons harvest level is 102,100 pounds of shrimp.
        the noncommercial shrimp fishery exceeded its harvest level by approximately 800 pounds of shrimp last season."

If last year's sport quota was similar, that is around 100,000 lbs, and the catch was exceeded by only 800 lbs, then that is less than 1% error or better than 99% successful so an A+ no?
        That was last year. If you look at the last decade, it shows a different grade...50% of the time, the rec harvest is over the GHL. The spike in 2018 was 128% and 2016 was 146% of GHL. It averages 115% over GHL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PWS shrimp harvest.png
Views:	147
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2756339

If all things hold to prior years, the annual growth of sport participants will cause an over harvest. Last year it was 10% growth. Now, with more available time this spring, I have witnessed more boat activity than any year prior. There was also more active participation in the comm fishery. Because there is no reporting in season, a reasonable estimate for this year's upcoming over harvest is around 11,000 pounds, or around $93,000 of commercial value, using the latest 2018 ex-vessel prices.

If more people get out and enjoy the limitless harvest opportunity, it will most likely be higher. Maybe we will get lucky and it will not happen, since we all want to be good stewards of this resource and maintain it for future years.

Even with dipnetting salmon, there is a limit. In this case, the gear limit causes wild annual harvest swings, endless debate about getting around the rules with pot gear, inability for LEO to effectively enforce pot limits, enough ambiguity to allow easy defense in court, a low bail limit for the infraction anyway, and absolutely no personal accountability, i.e. bag limit per licensee.

So, at what level of over fishing the rec GHL will it go to 2 pots for everyone?
        Attached Files
        PolarMarine.net

Comment

The number of pots has changed over the past 20 years too often. Five, four, eight, six, three.....

As KeniaFly said; The boat activity is up and I have to agree. For people not haveing jobs and no income they sure haven't cut back on their boating.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Thanks for the info Kenai fly. Accurate, timely reporting would be my choice if change is in store.

Comment

Would it be a good idea to have a mid season reporting online. That way they could take a couple weeks to come up with a mid season harvest report to see if they need to drop it to a lower amount of pots? I would think it would be pretty easy to do some computer coding for a IT person. Have specific fields you fill out online that gets transferred to a database and then added up after each reporting so you could have a approximate total gallons harvested so far. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
              I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
              but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

The above figure is not the data that is used by ADF&G. Here is a figure of data used by the department. Click image for larger version

Name:	PWS Shrimp.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2756492

Comment

Aktally, Yes, that is the slide ADFG likes to use for their report to the board. However, it is not corrected for the actual pounds per gallon that was determined from the department study, in 2013. Basically, the weight per pound was determined to be 3.89 pounds per gallon, which represents a 1.6x increase of the reported harvest in all prior years.

in other words, if you use the old conversion number, there was no over fishing and that is what the department shows. When using the agreed value that is used today, the fact remains that the resource was over harvested, because that is how many ACTUAL pounds were taken. It just looks better for department managers if they can claim no over fishing. But, that is not accurate.

If you dig deeper into the report that the ADFG graph came from, you will find in a table of statistics, the reference to the study by Wessels that corrects the weight of shrimp per gallon. However, none of the visual aids have been corrected in the reporting to the board.
                  Last edited by KenaiFly; 4 weeks ago.
                  PolarMarine.net

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X