Number of Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Pots

Any juicy rumors on the number of shrimp pots for PWS in 2020? Any idea when the regs will be published?

Haven't seen any harvest data yet when I checked a couple of weeks ago. Anyone's guess at this point. If I remember correctly, it won't be till maybe March before we hear anything. I am hoping that we go back to at least 4, 5 is better. Would love to see it eight again.

I collect the same amount every year. I can do it in ??? trips with 5 pots or have to spend the extra gas and time with 3 and ???????? trips.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      Haven't seen any harvest data yet when I checked a couple of weeks ago. Anyone's guess at this point. If I remember correctly, it won't be till maybe March before we hear anything. I am hoping that we go back to at least 4, 5 is better. Would love to see it eight again.

I collect the same amount every year. I can do it in ??? trips with 5 pots or have to spend the extra gas and time with 3 and ???????? trips.

8 pots years ago is one of the reasons we're at 3 now.:think:
      sigpic
      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
      alaskashrimppots.com
      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
      907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
        8 pots years ago is one of the reasons we're at 3 now.:think:
        I can see where you are coming from but I can only eat so much. I'd rather get it over and done with. Don't plan on getting married until Jennifer Aniston gets a divorce. So until that time.... I am only going to take what I can eat.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

My guess is same or down to 2
          "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
            My guess is same or down to 2
            It most likely will go down, too many fishermen telling stories about how many they caught and how big they were and not enough of them are able to accurately measure what they caught.
            I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
              I can see where you are coming from but I can only eat so much. I'd rather get it over and done with. Don't plan on getting married until Jennifer Aniston gets a divorce. So until that time.... I am only going to take what I can eat.
              Geezus man... you can do better than that... after all, yer a "Shrimper"......! oh **** that didnt come out right...LOL anyaway
              We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
                Geezus man... you can do better than that... after all, yer a "Shrimper"......! oh **** that didnt come out right...LOL anyaway
                I know she's been married before but so have I. I can let some things slide at my age.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I'll continue to drop pots as long as I can. 11 years ago I thought I needed x amount of shrimp, more people still at home and in the house. Today I'm taking a little less than 1/2 of that amount. We have all the shrimp we can use. 1 or 2 of the kids gets their own permits now and I encourage them to be realistic about how much to harvest. I think all said and done this family is taking a little less than we did 11 years ago. We just do it a little different.

I didn't shrimp when it was 8 pots, I started at 5. At 3 pots last year I harvested what I wanted in the same amount of time as with 4 or 5. I'm not sure why, maybe I've learned a little bit about shrimp or it was just luck? I can explore areas better with 3 pots, but I'll still be shrimping with 1 pot or a catch limit or a shorter season. The main thing in my mind is that there will be a season to shrimp.

Comment

My number went down last year too. I had a friend, that could ship 50# for $50. She lost that as a company benifit and now I have to pay. It was $250 to ship my last box. For that price it woud be better to send the family a gift card for a seafood store.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by yanert View Post
                      I'll continue to drop pots as long as I can. 11 years ago I thought I needed x amount of shrimp, more people still at home and in the house. Today I'm taking a little less than 1/2 of that amount. We have all the shrimp we can use. 1 or 2 of the kids gets their own permits now and I encourage them to be realistic about how much to harvest. I think all said and done this family is taking a little less than we did 11 years ago. We just do it a little different.

I didn't shrimp when it was 8 pots, I started at 5. At 3 pots last year I harvested what I wanted in the same amount of time as with 4 or 5. I'm not sure why, maybe I've learned a little bit about shrimp or it was just luck? I can explore areas better with 3 pots, but I'll still be shrimping with 1 pot or a catch limit or a shorter season. The main thing in my mind is that there will be a season to shrimp.

Well said my friend! Less pots make a guy a fisherman making each pot count not a farmer spewing pots all over the place and hoping for a good catch.
                      sigpic
                      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                      alaskashrimppots.com
                      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                      907 775 1692

Comment

Ive only been fishing 3 pots before they went to 3. Couple trips to the Sound each year and have enough for the winter. Even if they go to 2 pot limit I think 2 trips would be enough. Im sure some people take more than they need and winds up in landfill each spring. Wonder if they will cut the comm guys pot limit?

Comment

Originally posted by Nunya View Post
                          Wonder if they will cut the comm guys pot limit?
                          Probably unlikely, as the commercial season is closed by emergency order once the harvest quota is met. There wouldn't be a need to reduce the sport pot limit either if there was accurate in-season monitoring of the harvest coupled with an immediate closure once the GHL was met.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                            Probably unlikely, as the commercial season is closed by emergency order once the harvest quota is met. There wouldn't be a need to reduce the sport pot limit either if there was accurate in-season monitoring of the harvest coupled with an immediate closure once the GHL was met.
                            Makes sense.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X