Mushy Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushy Shrimp

My last overnight soak only yielded about a hundred shrimp. I went to smoke half of them and discovered about 10 of them were very mushy/grainy and basically crumbled in my hands. I always purge mine overboard in a big nylon laundry bag..then pop the heads and right on the ice. It's common to have a couple duds but 20% seems high to me. Anyone else notice this or did I just get unlucky?

I flush the whole shrimp numerous times, then I remove the heads and flush the tails numerous times, then on to the ice. If you find a slimy dark or black gooey film then you need to flush more. Shrimp blood is clear so the more you flush, especially after removing the head, the better.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Were they medium sized?

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

later in the season the more you'll see them. I think has has something to do with them gender bending !
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          Were they medium sized?
          Actually, yes. The "crumblers" were average size. The jumbos and smalls were firm.

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
            later in the season the more you'll see them. I think has has something to do with them gender bending !
            Probably right....1st time for me seeing that much defect in a small sample, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyak View Post
              Actually, yes. The "crumblers" were average size. The jumbos and smalls were firm.
              Just wondering if maybe those are going thru their sex change. All shrimp start out as male and at 2-3 years old change to female. I wonder if "the change" has anything to do with it.:rolleyes: I know the change certainly affects people.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Garyak View Post
                Probably right....1st time for me seeing that much defect in a small sample, though.
                Must of set next to the right hangout/club !
                sigpic
                Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                alaskashrimppots.com
                akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                907 775 1692

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...