Shrimp Pot Weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp Pot Weights

Thought I would pass along how I set up my shrimp pots last year. Been working well thus far and been catching a lot of shrimp. Re-thought weighting pots after losing my previous setup last year.

Got the pots from Steve and after him repeatedly telling me to add a ton of weight, this is what I came up with. Was able to buy some thick rebar at Lowes that came cut exactly the size of the shrimp pots. Took some EPDM roof repair rubber and wrapped all the rebar in that to prevent boat damage - I have a fiberglass boat and was not crazy about rebar dinging everything. Zip tied 4 pieces of rebar on each pot and that has seemed to sink them quick and keep them in place. Had to zip tie on the outside so you could still collapse the pot. Only change I had to make is going with some heavy duty zip ties. Some of them initially broke when stacking pots.

Attached Files
    Questions about moving to or from Alaska? Hit us up:
    Far North Real Estate, LLC
    www.myfairbankshome.com
    contact@farnorthrealestate.com

How much additional weight did you add? I have the same pots and have been throwing 16-20 ounce halibut weights in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thick rebar... I would guess about 10 lbs??? Not entirely sure though.

www.myfairbankshome.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
        How much additional weight did you add? I have the same pots and have been throwing 16-20 ounce halibut weights in mine.

How many? and i hope your not letting them just roll around.
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by fatbacks View Post
          Thought I would pass along how I set up my shrimp pots last year. Been working well thus far and been catching a lot of shrimp. Re-thought weighting pots after losing my previous setup last year.

Got the pots from Steve and after him repeatedly telling me to add a ton of weight, this is what I came up with. Was able to buy some thick rebar at Lowes that came cut exactly the size of the shrimp pots. Took some EPDM roof repair rubber and wrapped all the rebar in that to prevent boat damage - I have a fiberglass boat and was not crazy about rebar dinging everything. Zip tied 4 pieces of rebar on each pot and that has seemed to sink them quick and keep them in place. Had to zip tie on the outside so you could still collapse the pot. Only change I had to make is going with some heavy duty zip ties. Some of them initially broke when stacking pots.

How are you getting the pots to fold flat with the rebar on the bottoms ??? I tell everyone to put the weights on the inside of the door flaps that way when folded for storage the pot will go flat.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ED folding weight.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2491912
          sigpic
          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
          alaskashrimppots.com
          907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
            How many? and i hope your not letting them just roll around.
            I have to admit it, yes. Last season I clipped them to the pot, I guess I got lazy this year.

Comment

One thing I learned is that zip ties never last long and they break at the worst time. I replaced all mine with 9/16" stainless hose clamps. No more rebar sliding out for me. Lowes has plenty of sizes to choose from too.
              27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
              Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
              Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
              MMSI# 338232859

Comment

i could clip them into the pots with some scrap wire if anyone wants to bring them by. Maybe i'll start adding some wire pieces for attachments ??
                sigpic
                Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                alaskashrimppots.com
                907 775 1692

Comment

I run 2 5 pound lead bars (i used to make them) in each pot.
                  Never lost one yet
                  2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
                  5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Comment

I have the rebar clipped away from the outside edges. Initially had the rebar evenly spaced out the edge. If you offset them and slide them in a bit it folds down nicely. Put on the outside because the rebar I got was about 1/4" too long.
                    www.myfairbankshome.com

Comment

I've got a 16 oz teardrop sinker mold and tie six of them to each of my ladner pots with gangion line. Seems to help them sink and hold bottom.
                      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Does anyone see a downside to just using a mushroom anchor on the end of the line?

Comment

Originally posted by skydiver View Post
                          Does anyone see a downside to just using a mushroom anchor on the end of the line?
                          why haul,store and mess with something that can't catch you shrimp ???
                          sigpic
                          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                          alaskashrimppots.com
                          907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by skydiver View Post
                            I tried it once...and only once. The problem with putting all your weight in one spot/on the end of the string is that it causes the pots to end up on top of each other. Might as well only fish one pot in that case.

Comment

I also use Steve's collapsible pots but only break them down for off season storage. I put two 3 lb. cod weights in each pot and attach them and my bait containers with little toggles . Seems to hold position OK.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X