X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by nyclad View Post
    You guys present good points about Ninilchik and CG, I'll refrain from clamming there. I do have somebody offering to boat me to the west side. I've never been, so I'm looking forward to it.

Followup question. anybody been to the west Cook Inlet beaches for digging? I only read/hear about boat access, does road access exist?
    There are a few "roads" over there, but to get to those "roads" you have to take a boat or a plane........ well, now that I think about it, I guess you could walk to those "roads" too.....

Leave a comment:

• sayak
    replied
    Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Sure you can drive acroos the inlet at low tide from Anchorage. Everybody does it. I would think you would know that.
    You know Chris, somebody is going to try this.....

Leave a comment:

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    Sure you can drive acroos the inlet at low tide from Anchorage. Everybody does it. I would think you would know that.
    Yeah, it's a regular highway over there... here's a shot from the parking lot.

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    Very good?, .... oh sure.... You guys really need to tell him that 4 wheel drive helps and watch out if you're pulling a trailer.

Leave a comment:

• Mkay
    replied
    You guys present good points about Ninilchik and CG, I'll refrain from clamming there. I do have somebody offering to boat me to the west side. I've never been, so I'm looking forward to it.

Followup question. anybody been to the west Cook Inlet beaches for digging? I only read/hear about boat access, does road access exist?
    Very good road access from Anchorage. Take the Tyonek Expressway west off the New Seward and head right over the lower Cook inlet. I think they are putting in a new Sportsmans Warehouse at the mouth of Redoubt Creek, so you can get your clam shovels real cheap. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nyclad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Anythingalaska
    replied
    Our razor clam populations here in southeast have been destroyed by sea otters. Yours are being destroyed by overharvest/poor management by people. At least you're able to somewhat regulate your harvest up there! Try telling a sea otter that an area is off limits!

Leave a comment:

• Bullelkklr
    replied
    I agree with everyone - don't clam. Your option should be the NewSagaya hole on old seward in Anchorage. Another is to swim on over to the West side and gitcha some. That's what I'm goin to try to do anyways.

Leave a comment:

• sayak
    replied
    They should close down all east side beaches. To just close one sections intensifies the effort on the rest of the beaches, leading to more overharvesting and smaller and smaller clams. Time to give it a rest. Let them rebound and get bigger again.

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    With the current condition of our razor clams I am not going to harvest them this year from any eastside beaches.
    I think that is the best thing I can do for the sake of preserving this fishery.
    Same here, we haven't gone one time and don't plan on it.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Hi guys,

With the EO in place, what are people are doing for clam digging around Ninilchik, besides going to Clam Gulch or the west side of Cook Inlet.

Are people going north of the 3.2 mile marker from the Ninilchik River and digging? Are there even clams that far up?

Shellfish Emergency Orders
    The Ninilchik Beach areas from the north bank of Deep Creek to a marker located approximately 3.2 miles north of the Ninilchik River at 60 05.66? N. lat., are closed to the taking of all clam species. The bag and possession limit for razor clams harvested from the remaining eastside Cook Inlet beaches, extending from the mouth of the Kenai River to the southernmost tip of the Homer Spit, is reduced to the first 25 razor clams dug per day and only 25 razor clams may be in possession. These restrictions are effective through 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, December 31, 2014.

Thanks!
    Steve
    With the current condition of our razor clams I am not going to harvest them this year from any eastside beaches.
    I think that is the best thing I can do for the sake of preserving this fishery.

Leave a comment:

• nyclad
    started a topic Ninilchik EO clamming alternatives

Ninilchik EO clamming alternatives

Hi guys,

With the EO in place, what are people are doing for clam digging around Ninilchik, besides going to Clam Gulch or the west side of Cook Inlet.

Are people going north of the 3.2 mile marker from the Ninilchik River and digging? Are there even clams that far up?

Shellfish Emergency Orders
    The Ninilchik Beach areas from the north bank of Deep Creek to a marker located approximately 3.2 miles north of the Ninilchik River at 60 05.66? N. lat., are closed to the taking of all clam species. The bag and possession limit for razor clams harvested from the remaining eastside Cook Inlet beaches, extending from the mouth of the Kenai River to the southernmost tip of the Homer Spit, is reduced to the first 25 razor clams dug per day and only 25 razor clams may be in possession. These restrictions are effective through 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, December 31, 2014.

Thanks!
    Steve

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X