Round or square shrimp pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round or square shrimp pots?

I was wondering which style works better? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Square pots from Steve the Potbuilder. Best ever made.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Actually 1" net round pots will out fish anything. Not belittling Steve's because I fish his too. But pots that are not rigid, net, have smaller openings that keep more shrimp inside. Smaller opening, mean more shrimp plain and simple. I have been at this for 12 years now and see it every shrimp season when pulling my buddies net pots with him.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
        Actually 1" net round pots will out fish anything. Not belittling Steve's because I fish his too. But pots that are not rigid, net, have smaller openings that keep more shrimp inside. Smaller opening, mean more shrimp plain and simple. I have been at this for 12 years now and see it every shrimp season when pulling my buddies net pots with him.
        I'm not going to get into a round vs square debate but here is my opinion on round pots. Net pots hold more smaller shrimp because most of the netting is pulled/distorted into a diamond shape holding the tinyier shrimp, not very good for the resource in my opinion. Remember a 7/8" round dowel has to fall through the mesh by its own weight according to the regs. Round pegs don't usually fit well into diamond shaped holes ??? Nylon webbing/netting also shrinks up to 10% after it has been wet & dried a few times. I know this because when hanging gillnets i always used wet hanging twine to make the knots tighter and it shrunk tight on the needle in minutes after soaking in water.
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
          I'm not going to get into a round vs square debate but here is my opinion on round pots. Net pots hold more smaller shrimp because most of the netting is pulled/distorted into a diamond shape holding the tinyier shrimp, not very good for the resource in my opinion. Remember a 7/8" round dowel has to fall through the mesh by its own weight according to the regs. Round pegs don't usually fit well into diamond shaped holes ??? Nylon webbing/netting also shrinks up to 10% after it has been wet & dried a few times. I know this because when hanging gillnets i always used wet hanging twine to make the knots tighter and it shrunk tight on the needle in minutes after soaking in water.
          True but on a rigid pot, only 2 adjacent sides need to meet the requirement. The top, bottom and other sides can be anything.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
            Square pots from Steve the Potbuilder. Best ever made.
            Ditto! Love them. They catch shrimp and are durable.
            BK
            BK Marine Services 232-6399
            Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
            Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
            Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	spot.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	2491650
              These rarely escape from any pot. I like Steve's pots, but use both types. At any one set, one will do better than the other. I think it is good for the fishery to leave most the small shrimp. Now how do we design a pot that leaves the shrimp with eggs?

Comment

I would not worry about shrimp with eggs. You are not even denting the population down there. Save the eggs, and when you get an octopus, sauté the octopus in butter with the eggs. Delicious.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by yanert View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]78347[/ATTACH]
                  These rarely escape from any pot. I like Steve's pots, but use both types. At any one set, one will do better than the other. I think it is good for the fishery to leave most the small shrimp. Now how do we design a pot that leaves the shrimp with eggs?
                  Knock a month off the end season and add vents to the pots to let the smaller bugs out easier. Showed this to F&G and they didn't have a clue what it was used for, after i explained how it works the guy said "it won't work as long as there is bait in the pot" but 1 minute before that he didn't know anything or had even heard about a vent ??

Name:	P6150640.JPG
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	2491651
                  they are putting 4 vents in lobster traps to let out all the shorts and only keep legal sized lobster, better for the fishery and less work for the guys on deck.

Name:	trap w vents.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2491652
                  sigpic
                  Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                  Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                  alaskashrimppots.com
                  907 775 1692

Comment

True but on a rigid pot, only 2 adjacent sides need to meet the requirement. The top, bottom and other sides can be anything.
                    and there lies the problem ? Guess i should start building pots with just enough 1x1 to meet the regs then build the rest out of 1/2x1 wire to hold more small shrimp to end the fishery for all of us sooner.
                    sigpic
                    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                    alaskashrimppots.com
                    907 775 1692

Comment

I would not worry about shrimp with eggs. You are not even denting the population down there. Save the eggs, and when you get an octopus, sauté the octopus in butter with the eggs. Delicious.
                      Yeah 3000 rec permits issued every year and all the gear in the water will never hurt a thing. Maybe extend the season so we can catch up all those eggers later in the season ?? The shrimp fishery is such a great bonus to the sound fisheries it would be a crime to let it get overfished, where else in the world can anybody catch a unlimited amount of such beautiful shrimp to eat ?? I my opinion there is alreay enough greed and abuse of the fishery and its going downhill every year.
                      Now back to the round vs square debate !!
                      sigpic
                      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                      alaskashrimppots.com
                      907 775 1692

Comment

Here I will confuse it even more, I have two sizes of round pots. Some came with the boat and the others I got as a fathers day present. My wife is of the opinion that the larger round pots do better than the smaller ones.

Another question is which pot in a string fishes better. I think the middle pot on a three pot string fishes better than the second pot on a two pot string. The first pot (closest to bouy) never fishes as good as the second or third.
                        2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I just toss the ones with eggs back.
                          2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
                          5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Comment

you are SPOT on Steve - pun intended and I gave you good juju *'s.

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                            Yeah 3000 rec permits issued every year and all the gear in the water will never hurt a thing. Maybe extend the season so we can catch up all those eggers later in the season ?? The shrimp fishery is such a great bonus to the sound fisheries it would be a crime to let it get overfished, where else in the world can anybody catch a unlimited amount of such beautiful shrimp to eat ?? I my opinion there is alreay enough greed and abuse of the fishery and its going downhill every year.
                            Now back to the round vs square debate !!

Comment

You have too short of rope up to your bouy and you are floating your first pot - or too short of distance between pots.

Originally posted by JR2 View Post
                              Here I will confuse it even more, I have two sizes of round pots. Some came with the boat and the others I got as a fathers day present. My wife is of the opinion that the larger round pots do better than the smaller ones.

Another question is which pot in a string fishes better. I think the middle pot on a three pot string fishes better than the second pot on a two pot string. The first pot (closest to bouy) never fishes as good as the second or third.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X