No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit22.5
    replied
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess Iwill look into seward or stick with Homer. I got a couple spots in pretty close around bluff point were the rock and cod fishing is fast and furiousplus at the end of the day you still have a cooler full of halibut. My daughter still thinks a 30 pound halibut is a MONSTER. Just like Santa Clause, let them believe in magic as long a possible

Leave a comment:

• FishGod
    replied
    I know a select group of charters out of Whittier that frequently fish 400-700 ft for halibut and they do very well.

Leave a comment:

• anchskier
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian M View Post
    Hydraulics.
    We caught a good amount of halibut down at 1200'+ back in the day commercial fishing. Didn't have to get too far out to do that. Even caught a good number of sharks at the same time (feeding on the halibut that were hooked like a buffet line until they got too greedy and hooked themselves). Always thought it would be fun to go back and sport fish for them, but never got the right gear setup for that depth.

Leave a comment:

• FishGod
    replied
    I love China's and Shortrakers

Leave a comment:

• Brian M
    replied
    Originally posted by dabear View Post
    Electric reel or arms of steel?
    Hydraulics.

Leave a comment:

• dabear
    replied
    Electric reel or arms of steel?

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    Quillbacks aren't too bad, but IMHO yelloweyes are the best eating rock fish, with black bass and quilbacks tied. I've had one silver/gray and even cooked up within an hour of catching it, there was something slightly off in the flavor/texture.

I think the most fun is finding a school of black bass at 30-40 feet, handing the kids salmon rods and light jigs, and standing by with the net. It's shallow enough that you can throw the small ones back w/o harm, and the kids can do alot of catching in short order.

Leave a comment:

• Brian M
    replied
    Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Biran,

Have you caught a lot of halibut in those depth ranges? Not questioning just curious...
    Yep. We routinely catch halibut down to and below 2,000'.

Leave a comment:

• FishGod
    replied
    The Quillback looks yummy!

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    One can have some excellent fishing trips out of Whittier, but unless you wait until later in the season when the salmon are in, you'll have to head out to at least the Night Island group to get into good fishing action. And if you don't limit yourself to halibut, you can have a blast landing rockfish and lingcod.

You can certainly fish closer in, but the catching will be anything but fast and furious. You'll here about people taking halibut much closer to port, and fish are taken closer to port, but typically that is somebody sitting on anchor and soaking bait for hours to produce a couple of fish. Personally I don't care for that type of "action"

To keep a kid entertained, hand them a salmon rod with a 3-6 oz jig and drift over rockpiles. They will be hooking fish and having a great time.

Leave a comment:

• akfishin
    replied
    The fishing for rockfish is great though. I just drop the hook in 50 feet of water and run between four kids pitching fish back I not the water. They love it, it's all about catching.

Leave a comment:

• Bullelkklr
    replied
    Biran,

Have you caught a lot of halibut in those depth ranges? Not questioning just curious...

Leave a comment:

• Skagit22.5
    replied
    Well that is not what I was hoping to hear, but better to know now. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Brian M
    replied
    For shrimp, silvers, scenery, and safer waters, Whittier is great. It is also mind-blowing for pinks if you just want to get your kids on enough fish to wear them out. For halibut, though, it is less than stellar. There are a handful of pockets that will reliably produce 2-4 halibut, but nothing that will provide all-day action without running out as far as Paul mentioned. The issue is depth. Halibut are there, but they're found in the 1,000-2,000' water that covers the majority of the Sound.

Leave a comment:

• Skagit22.5
    replied
    Thanks for the info

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X