King Leaders....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Leaders....?

Question about leaders for King trolling?
    First off, I am a novice and just trying to be prepared when we head to Homer in late May.
    Wondering what to use for leaders from the flasher?

I was going to use some 30# spiderwire, but was advised to use mono, also was told not to use to a real heavy mono as it can affect the flasher............?

What do you guys say.............? Thanks......!
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

I use #40-#50 mono for leaders, in lengths from 30"-48". That is a pretty common practice amongst the guys i fish with.
    Some folks will use an additional 20" or so of #100 when using a bechold (sp?) flasher, as they can sometimes tangle in the leader when playing a fish. I have never bothered and can't recall any fish that that's cost me.
    All leader variations will affect the action of the flasher, but who is to say that you won't discover the hot combo while you are experimenting with your set-up?
    That's half the fun!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

I like to use 30# maxima mono for all my king leaders, when sport fishing.
      Alaska Wide Open Charters
      www.alaskawideopen.com
      907-965-0130

Comment

Thanks guys, it was also recommended to use a 100 foot mono "topshot", I have some type of braided line for the main line.........?
        Whats yer thoughts for this "Topshot"..........?
        “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

I like to use a mono topshot, but nothing like 100', more like 5-10'. With a 100' topshot, you pretty much loose all the advantage of braid, i.e. the sensitivity due to its lack of stretch. But having some mono at the terminal end for abrasion resistance and to provide some stretch (shock absorbtion) is a good thing, so stick with mono for the leader. Since you'll already have some mono in the leader, I can't see much of an advantage of the topshot. But, if you'll also be using the rod for jigging and bottom fishing, put on a small top shot.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

A big king caught on something rigged behind a flasher can pull awful hard on the leader - the flasher makes a lot of drag when towed fast through water. I'd go 40#+ mono for leader when using a flasher.

No flasher - 20#-30# mono.

Consider heavier leader still for hoochies - helps direct action from the flasher into the hoochie. I use 50# and 60# for hoochie leaders.

Comment

Thanks all, I sure hope I get a big King..........looking forward to that.
              100' topshot seemed excessive in my mind as well, but understand that some give (stretch) is a plus so will plan to pick up some mono.
              So thinking I will tie the mono to the braid and swivel/ snap on the end of the mono......any recommendations there, such as size or brand?

Comment

just don't get the cheap ones....
                Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
                  Thanks all, I sure hope I get a big King..........looking forward to that.
                  100' topshot seemed excessive in my mind as well, but understand that some give (stretch) is a plus so will plan to pick up some mono.
                  So thinking I will tie the mono to the braid and swivel/ snap on the end of the mono......any recommendations there, such as size or brand?
                  Sampo 75# or 100# ball bearing snap swivels. Even heavier is ok too.

I use a 20' mono topshot - long enough so the mono goes into the downrigger clip. I use 30# spectra and 20# mono.

Big_E

Comment

I use corkscrew swivel as I'm concerned about the snap swivel pulling loose.

I use 40# Ande mono on my Fin-Nor reels. I don't like braid when fishing for salmon off the back of the boat (although I have braid on my Avet for stream fishing - more control of the fish from the bank). I know the mono gives more shock-absorbing protection, especially for clients who have hooked a king for the first time (and think they need to set the hook Nanji-style). I use a 42 inch 30# leader (I can't remember the brand) for kings. 36 inch for silvers...
                    Cliffhanger
                    http://www.farnorthpress.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=270ti;932812]I like to use 30# maxima mono for all my king leaders, when sport fishing.[/QUOTE
                      i use 30# ultragreen maxima and 30# seaguar with 4/0 owner ssw cutting points, but i have just found that gama is now making the big river hooks in a smaller size not a big fan of the matzuo hooks, straightend a couple of them on fish, the gamas are really nice, granted havent hooked anything with them yet but been puttin in the hours the last couple days

Comment

30lb fluorocarbon 2 1/2 the lenght of the flasher, I like to use hoods on my Herring. Use 25lb or 30lb Maxima for your main line. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, I picked up some mono today & now practicing up on some knots, tied a "Albright" knot for connecting the mono to the braid.
                          It ends up with both a loop and a tag end on the braid side...........is this normal?

Comment

Yup. Clip them both. Actually I don't like Albrights, and instead I use back-to-back nail knots, something you do for big game leaders when fly fishing. Not enough improvement to make you learn how to tie it, but less tendency to slip. Albrights will do that if they're not tied perfectly.

Long as you're tying your own leaders, here's what I do: I make all of mine 6' long so I can use them straight for trolling with no flasher or for mooching. No big sweat to cut them shorter for use behind a flasher. I also vary the weight of my leaders for the size of the herring. Right now we're trolling with 8- to 10-inch "choaker" herring, and leaders lighter than 50# are simply too limp. I'm actually using 80# right now. Later on in the summer I drop down to 30# when using firecrackers.
                            "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                            Merle Haggard

Comment

The big thing is to figure out what fishes well out of your boat. When I'm fishing in a group of boats, I'm usually hi-lining when I'm fishing 30# maxima, 4/0 gamakatsus, an unbaited hoochie, and a 11" flasher. 34" leader. I like the 30# leader because I can tie good leaders with the 4/0 hooks. It works for me and the speed I troll, and I have a ton of confidence when I've got that down fishing. I'm sure a bunch of other baits/line/hooks work just fine though. The key is being efficient in keeping whatever you are using in front of the kings.
                              Alaska Wide Open Charters
                              www.alaskawideopen.com
                              907-965-0130

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X