Early season shrimping near Whittier-how far?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's probably pretty good advice about bringing the halibut on board. I've caught enough halibut in the 50 pound range to know the damage they can do. On a boat, you are thinking "that's not a big one" so you just haul it in and then it goes berserk. No fun. Anything too big will have to be brought to shore if I want to keep it. Frankly if its so big its risky, I'd probably release it after a picture or two.

As "boring" of a video as it might make, I think the Octopus plan is to carry a burlap bag and if I get one, the shrimmp trap and everything just goes into it. The lair traps I am building are just buckets with the lids on them. A smaller opening that I can quickly cover. Weigh it down with a pound or two of cement held in place by rebar that also serves to keep the bucket from rolling around. I can decide then how bad I need to film it "on the water."

The fall back plan which I theorize has about a 90% success rate, is to simply curl up in a fetal position and pray the Octopus just slithers off the Kayak without taking anything, especially me with it. I can live with those odds in a life or death, last line of defense situation.

Comment

Octupus are easy to dispatch, put a knife between the eyes and they go limp.
      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H View Post
        Octupus are easy to dispatch, put a knife between the eyes and they go limp.
        What do you do with them?

Comment

best halibut bait ever!

Not bad fried, either...
          '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
          200hp Honda 4stroke
          + multiple other 'toys'...

Comment

Yup! Dual purpose and amazingly good for both halibut and people bait. I'd gladly give up a pot of shrimp for an octopus!!!! Not everytime of course but I'd be excited to see one anytime.

Comment

We ended up going outside of Passage Canal to Pigot Bay to drop pots. Worked the edge of one of those shelfs outside of Pigot with four pots on two lines. Did OK, but the shrimp count declined with each pull. Ended up with about two gallons of tails--still don't know how some of you guys talk about coming home with five gallons in a weekend--I have not found a spot anywhere near that productive yet! Anyhow, I was glad we were out at Pigot because the wind came up pretty strong in Passage Canal Saturday night, and I think even Shotgun might have been a bit uncomfortable. Saw Kard with his yak in town--good thing you went Saturday because Sunday was NOT a yak-friendly day.

Oh, and we caught two octopus in our pots as well, one of whom was gorging himself on shrimp judging from the perfectly cleaned shells in the pot.

pix coming....

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly Man View Post
                LOL...nothing scarier than going out on the water with someone that no fear about sinking his boat!!!
                Should have said that it is not overloaded on weight capacity...I would scream like a schoolgirl if it sinks...I have a great fear of sharks and drowning

Comment

Nice video Kard--looks lie you did all right! With the cost of gas, the tunel fee, the launch fee, and parking, I think each shrimp I caught cost me about $12.99! But it's hard to put a price on the experience

Comment

Comment

Nice big shrimp. I'm envious about the octopus. Looks like that's a size I can handle though. There must be a bunch of them. I need to clarify the regulations but my octopus goal us actually two goals in one. The pot method being traditional. If I can hook and line them, it's a round of night fishing with specific gear I am trying to develop. Lol. Why I can't just go out on a normal trip...I will never know. Good to meet ya akpfeiff!

Comment

Oh yeah--you coulda handled that little octopus. The other one was almost twice as big--still nothing too intimidating, just a bit hard to hold onto. Can't wait to see the thread on your special octo-hooking rig!

Comment

Originally posted by akpfeiff View Post
                          Oh yeah--you coulda handled that little octopus. The other one was almost twice as big--still nothing too intimidating, just a bit hard to hold onto. Can't wait to see the thread on your special octo-hooking rig!
                          Hmmm...my octo-catching rig is definitely targeting slightly larger quarry...but it's super top secret. Not because its fancy or its even an original idea. But it seems so silly that I am not going to reveal until I catch something with it. I think if legal, jigging up an Octopus might have to be a night time adventure in a secluded bay, so who knows when that might happen. I might be able to carry enough batteries to try it out of Whittier, I suppose...hmmm.....

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X