Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brutus pot puller question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brutus pot puller question

    I have one of those cheap Ace Brutus 40 pot pullers. Anyone that uses this knows you still have to pull on the line a little, or else the line just slips. Seems there is no traction, so I'm wondering if a guy was to put some grip tape on the spool if that would give the traction needed to pull the line up without having to assist. Has anyone tried this? What were the results???
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

  • #2
    Originally posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    I have one of those cheap Ace Brutus 40 pot pullers. Anyone that uses this knows you still have to pull on the line a little, or else the line just slips. Seems there is no traction, so I'm wondering if a guy was to put some grip tape on the spool if that would give the traction needed to pull the line up without having to assist. Has anyone tried this? What were the results???
    I'd think the tape would wear off/out in short order? maybe try painting on some of that rubber dip stuff used for tool handles? Strip of inner tube stretched around the hub??
    sigpic
    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

    Comment


    • #3
      I thought about some of that Rhino lining that you can roll on. that may give the bite needed to pull the line. Of Course, I could always upgrade to the E-Dyne and not have to worry about it:topjob:
      "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Grizzly Man View Post
        I thought about some of that Rhino lining that you can roll on. that may give the bite needed to pull the line. Of Course, I could always upgrade to the E-Dyne and not have to worry about it:topjob:
        you said it not me! Rhino with some grit in it would surly help but i think you would still have to pull on it??
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

        Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

        Comment


        • #5
          Traction isn't the only problem. Check with Steve,but you would also need a "knife" to move the line out of the sheave, otherwise it would just wrap itself around untill it jammed. The ED has an adjustable knife so you can move it for different mounting positions.


          (see Steve, I waqs paying attention)
          2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
          5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

          Comment


          • #6
            I have one and so do some friends. They aren't in the same league as the E-D, period. But they do pull 2 pots at a time with no prob. And the customer service can't be beat. Any problem and they send a new motor-puller ass. pronto, no questions asked. My 11 year old nephew does the pulling , no problem. But I had one rope that was a smaller diameter and it was harder to pull. It slipped to much. But it disappeared in a senior moment, and the new one is the next larger size, and no problem. But for boats with not enuf room for the big units these ace pullers work. I think I have had mine 8-9 years now.When I bought mine it came with a single bottom pulley which they replaced when they started installing a double one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe a silly question, but are you routing the line the way it is supposed to be routed? I've seen some people not and it takes lots more pulling that way.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by skydiver View Post
                Maybe a silly question, but are you routing the line the way it is supposed to be routed? I've seen some people not and it takes lots more pulling that way.
                The first time we used our Ace Puller, I made this mistake. After the first pull, we made the correction and voila, it does just fine. I pull 3 pots with no problem and Pull one of Steves Collaspable crab pots about 1/3 full of crab with no effort either. For an inexpensive puller for the weekend sportsman, it does just fine. I do use Steves weighed and floating line and the diameter is just perfect.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Had to laugh, because I didn't thread it right the first time I used mine either. I kept thinking "what is wrong with this crazy thing?" I did figure it out, and just to clarify, I don't have to pull on the rope, just need to keep constant tension on it or rope slips.
                  I saw the dealer (just hired help) was at the Sportsman show and same thing with his demo. Unless you had tension on the rope, it would just spin. I'm going to try to mod mine a little to see if I can get it to pull the line in without any assistance from me. That way I can use 2 hands to coil ( or 1 to coil and 1 for my beverage) or I can jsut sit back and wait for the pot to come up.
                  My First thought was that since the rope is sllipping, I just need to give the puller a little traction. Just wondered if anyone has come up with a solution
                  "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I also have an ace pulled cause my boat is small and I am running on spare change. It pulls 3 pots great, a bit faster if you put some muscle assist into it but it's fine without, has a 7 year old put the 3 pot string by herself last summer with it.

                    Dan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lust can lead you in many directions and the only time I would suggest you succumb to your inner feelings and buy just because, is when buying guns! However, your pot puller is an entirely different thing.

                      Now before I get too far into this I should mention that I have the very first Electra Dyne to come into this state in recent years. I bought mine directly from the factory before the local guy started selling them and it's a fine puller. Now this may shock you but my line slips too if everything's not just right. Being a machinist, i've taken some big steps to MAKE IT JUST RIGHT and it works fine now. As far as I know the Electra-dyne folks only offer smooth wheels in steel and stainless which is what I have and which is part of the slipping problem. To correct that I grooved the wheels like the ones you can see on www.blueoceantackle.com . This is a different brand hauler not offered locally but with many more options than the e-d unit.
                      Due to the eventual mess associated with steel anything (rust) I went with the stainless. They tell me that grinding the running portion or even welding beads in the running section will take care of slipage too, machinist cringe at such crudness!
                      The other side of this is, on a smaller machine which is downrigger mounted, you probably want a little slip. It's going to give you some protection from potentially bigger problems.

                      The line diameter difference as already mentioned is a biggy too but also great differences in the "lay of the line" hard versus soft lay for instance will make a big difference. I cannot run the same diameter CW sinking line spliced to the medium lay polysteel with out changing the shims! I simply had my own senior moment and the CW went away.

                      I guess what I'd like you to take away from this is this, we all do something good. Some of us make better machinist some better brain surgeons etc. As your aware, on this site no shortage of opinion exist which is fine as long as you can filter it and retain the gems. If that Brutus is doing fine except for that minor slipage, keep your money and fix the slipage. There's plenty of folks out there who'll take that money if you don't watch them, then again there's someone on here with an opinion to help you with that too!

                      By the way, my time is pretty short this time of year but if you discover you just need a different idler or something simple, P.M me. Id be happy to help you out, heck if I don't charge you anything we've already rulled out the next post where someone would jump on here and offer an opinion about me soliciting work!

                      P.S, before I lead you too far astray, i went to the blue ocean site which they've changed a bit and you cannot see the radial grooves in the wheel now. Essentially your looking for small grooves looking like spokes on a bicycle wheel. I thought it was neat that a manafacturer was starting to offen them as they sure helped mine. By the way, I only have 6 grooves, 3 on each wheel and in between each other.
                      Mike

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
                        Lust can lead you in many directions and the only time I would suggest you succumb to your inner feelings and buy just because, is when buying guns! However, your pot puller is an entirely different thing.

                        Now before I get too far into this I should mention that I have the very first Electra Dyne to come into this state in recent years. I bought mine directly from the factory before the local guy started selling them and it's a fine puller. Now this may shock you but my line slips too if everything's not just right. Being a machinist, i've taken some big steps to MAKE IT JUST RIGHT and it works fine now. As far as I know the Electra-dyne folks only offer smooth wheels in steel and stainless which is what I have and which is part of the slipping problem. To correct that I grooved the wheels like the ones you can see on www.blueoceantackle.com . This is a different brand hauler not offered locally but with many more options than the e-d unit.
                        Due to the eventual mess associated with steel anything (rust) I went with the stainless. They tell me that grinding the running portion or even welding beads in the running section will take care of slipage too, machinist cringe at such crudness!
                        The other side of this is, on a smaller machine which is downrigger mounted, you probably want a little slip. It's going to give you some protection from potentially bigger problems.

                        The line diameter difference as already mentioned is a biggy too but also great differences in the "lay of the line" hard versus soft lay for instance will make a big difference. I cannot run the same diameter CW sinking line spliced to the medium lay polysteel with out changing the shims! I simply had my own senior moment and the CW went away.

                        I guess what I'd like you to take away from this is this, we all do something good. Some of us make better machinist some better brain surgeons etc. As your aware, on this site no shortage of opinion exist which is fine as long as you can filter it and retain the gems. If that Brutus is doing fine except for that minor slipage, keep your money and fix the slipage. There's plenty of folks out there who'll take that money if you don't watch them, then again there's someone on here with an opinion to help you with that too!

                        By the way, my time is pretty short this time of year but if you discover you just need a different idler or something simple, P.M me. Id be happy to help you out, heck if I don't charge you anything we've already rulled out the next post where someone would jump on here and offer an opinion about me soliciting work!

                        P.S, before I lead you too far astray, i went to the blue ocean site which they've changed a bit and you cannot see the radial grooves in the wheel now. Essentially your looking for small grooves looking like spokes on a bicycle wheel. I thought it was neat that a manafacturer was starting to offen them as they sure helped mine. By the way, I only have 6 grooves, 3 on each wheel and in between each other.
                        Mike
                        Mike any chance you could post a picture of the machine work you've done on the puller??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You bet, but you'll have to wait a couple days till I get home!
                          Mike

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am seriously considering one of these little ace hauler units. however I am a bit afraid of the stress that is seems like the puller would have on the gunnels of my older fiberglass boat. Anyone have any experiece with these in glass boats? No worries about gelcoat stress cracks? any ideas how to "beef" up the gunnels? pics? thanks for any and all input.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jason in SE View Post
                              I am seriously considering one of these little ace hauler units. however I am a bit afraid of the stress that is seems like the puller would have on the gunnels of my older fiberglass boat. Anyone have any experiece with these in glass boats? No worries about gelcoat stress cracks? any ideas how to "beef" up the gunnels? pics? thanks for any and all input.
                              I don't have pics as the boat is still sitting in a snowbank, but I put down a 3" X 6" by 1/8 inch thick stock aluminum plate on the gunnel and mounted the bracket on top of the aluminum plate. I haven't seen any cracks in the gel coat.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X