Tuna fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuna fishing

So out of curiosity is there any tuna fishing up there?

Originally posted by kantill View Post
    So out of curiosity is there any tuna fishing up there?
    I think Alaska is a bit far up for tuna.I think tuna like warmer water like say down south.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

Not sure how often it happens but I recall buying cases of albacore tuna from kodiak. I think the fleet that typically fishes somewhere between Alaska and Hawaii (usually further south) somehow ended up closer to Kodiak than Hawaii or the west coast while chasing them...so the story goes. But I remember the tuna being a welcome change from the normal fare...tuna was awesome!

But never heard of sport fishing for them.

Comment

Thanks, I know there is tuna off the coast of washington and oregon so I was wondering if they ever make the trip up north.

Comment

It depends on where the warm water current is. Supposedly it's around 600 miles offshore. A few boats have tried it but I don't think it payed. Several years ago 2 or 3 boats loaded their decks with fuel drums and headed south from Dutch in pursuit of swordfish, but didn't get enough to pay. Late summer-early fall the warm water can be close in off the west coast and they do well on the albacore.

Comment

I fish for tuna. As well as marlin, mahi mahi, etc. Trouble is I don't seem to catch any

Comment

Tuna go up as far as British Columbia with the el nino currents. You have to go a few miles offshore to find them, but they are there. Wouldn't be surprised if they made it up as far as southern AK.

Comment

I know the Humbolts start coming up further also - anyone ever catch humbolts in AK?

Comment

It is true, that occasionally they come north enough for some commercial guys to have found them south of Kodiak,
                  some guys were selling them fresh, out of a truck in Kodiak a while back

but it's WAY offshore, and I think only on a wierd year,
                  hardly something you could target with high expectations,

Darn, I'm all for global warming in that respect, Love Those Tuna
                  Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

most el nino years a few gill netters will pick some up, gotta get south of the gulf of AK current though to target them
                    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                      most el nino years a few gill netters will pick some up, gotta get south of the gulf of AK current though to target them
                      Wow, that's sure interesting.
                      Gillnets where, like in the Sound or out on the AKPen?
                      Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

I don't know if any other tuna have been fishing, but Bill Parcells was spotted in Seward getting on a charter, with a couple of Homer guys still arguing that they really should fish there

Comment

So speaking of tuna I would like to go somewhere to fish for them before heading back to AK for the summer, any recommendations for the best tuna fishing areas?
                          Redleader standing by

Comment

I have a relative in AZ that often heads to San Diego for Tuna. Not sure how far out or south they go, but he's done quite well some times.

Comment

Originally posted by redleader View Post
                              So speaking of tuna I would like to go somewhere to fish for them before heading back to AK for the summer, any recommendations for the best tuna fishing areas?
                              Palapas Ventana would be a place to look at. You fish the sea of Cortez. The target fish are Dorado (June-Nov), Yellowfin tuna(August-Dec), Yellowtail(Jan-May), Cabrilla(all year), Sierra (Nov-May) , Pargo (all year), Wahoo (June-November), Striped Marlin, Blue marlin, Black marlin, and Sail Fish. You can also get into som big schools of GT's.

Trips out of Maui to Kahoolawe, Lanai, and Molokai can produce similar fish.

Just depends on where in the world you would like to go/afford.
                              "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X