Herring rodeo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herring rodeo

Check this action down in Sitka...The Japanese apparently want some Kazunoko!!
    sigpic

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I'm pretty sure they're not getting that excited and jeopardizing their million dollar seine boats so 270ti has an ample supply of bait! :rolleyes
    sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

What caused it to list so bad?

Comment

I am betting they wrapped up a couple pounds more fishies than they should have

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
          I'm pretty sure they're not getting that excited and jeopardizing their million dollar seine boats so 270ti has an ample supply of bait! :rolleyes
          Trollers hate herring fishermen....(grin)

Roll em!

I'll be out with my cast net this week loading up on bait though!
          Alaska Wide Open Charters
          www.alaskawideopen.com
          907-965-0130

Comment

Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
            What caused it to list so bad?
            Greed and stupidity, quite common amongst commercial fishermen.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain T View Post
              Nah.. He just made too good of a set.
              www.alaskawideopen.com
              907-965-0130

Comment

They didn't have a boom stay and the fish sounded all at once and swung the boom over . Thanks for the insult though! Stupid people usually don't have what it takes to even be in the position to make a set in Sitka. FWIW
                sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

600k just to buy a permit these days, to make a few sets a year for herring in that fishery.
                  www.alaskawideopen.com
                  907-965-0130

Comment

Greed and stupidity, quite common amongst charter fishermen.
                    fixed it for ya

holy crap that musta been a big set... I saw some guys do a 130,000 fish set on humpies in a cost recovery once, crazy...
                    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Yeah 50 permit holders makes 5.5 million in one 30 minute opener (2008) 3.8mill last year. Thats a fairly nice chunk of bidness....
                      Last edited by fullbush; 04-03-2011, 20:38. Reason: that don't sound stupid to me captTwat did you say?
                      sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

To bad the talk is that at the price is $125 a ton. last year it was in the $600 range. they should have co-op-ed and just fished for expenses but the I can catch more fish than you attitude will never allow that. also the 2 guys that just bought permits this year for $600 probably arenít too interested in not fishing.

Comment

My dads neighbor once hit a herring set for 1 million dollars. I think he had somewhere around 400 tons in his one set.
                          believe it was 86 or 87 and the price ended up being $2,600 a ton the highest they ever got paid.
                          He paid off his brand new $750,000 54' Le Clerq purse seiner.
                          He used to do Sitka herring then PWS herring and then go to Togiak for herring.
                          After that Salmon season.
                          Now he is retired but I wish I could have fished with him. Crew shares were pretty good back then I am sure.
                          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
                            They didn't have a boom stay and the fish sounded all at once and swung the boom over . Thanks for the insult though! Stupid people usually don't have what it takes to even be in the position to make a set in Sitka. FWIW
                            What is a boom stay? Not a comm fisher, so I don't know...

Comment

Had my own herring rodeo this evening. It was kinda sad, as it was pretty much over when it started. Herring were thick, and we got all we needed for bait in about 30 minutes. Never is not fun with a cast net. I have some video footage of the cast netting tonight that I'm saving for America's funniest home video. I am the worlds worst cast net thrower, and I have video proof.. Luckily the herring are so thick, the net doesn't even need to open half way.

www.alaskawideopen.com
                              907-965-0130

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X