Commercial Shrimping question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Shrimping question?

I'm curious whether or not there is a different buoy requirement for those who commercial shrimp? The reason I ask is simple, with the potential for very long lines of gear on bottom it would be nice to know what's in the neighborhood. A different sort of buoy marking would help us out there. With the netter's it's simply a matter of avoiding the trillion boats close in to the gear but shrimpers don't usually hang around all day! I'm respectful of others and always give a wide berth. To date I have not had any "problems" and would like to keep up that good record!
    Mike

Commercial buoys have the 5 digit ADFG number and the boat name on them, typically. The lines on the bottom shouldn't be all that long - if memory serves, commercial lines could only carry a max of five pots last year - but regardless, that is how the buoys should look.

Comment

Last year you could only have pots on a single line. 5 pots or more require 2 lines/bouys. Also note every one on board has to have an immersion suit, boat has to desplay commerical numbers, and survival raft depending upon size of boat/number of crew.

Comment

Whoops, that's right...four pots, not five.

Comment

Thank's guys, that answers my question. If their bout like everyone else it's non issue for me, just keep the typical distance. As you could see my concern might be oversetting a guy who's buoy is way over there. Aparently ADFG already took the corrective action!

As to all the safety gear, I guess if I see a bunch of them in the water I'd stop and give em a hand but the question was just to make sure I am clear of the gear. I suppose we'll see "greater activity" in some of our "regular spots" this year, may learn a thing or two as a result!

Mike

Comment

Alasgun,

Good question, thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing on avoiding tangling gear this year with the commercial shrimping area having been moved further to the west.

Doug

Comment

If it's anything like last year, I wouldn't expect to see too much in the way of increased activity. There was a pretty big initial interest last spring, but by May only nine vessels were participating, and in July only two vessels ran commercial shrimp gear. There might be a bit of an uptick in participation since it is closer to Whittier (though further from Valdez) and because some of the areas overlap with commercial salmon areas, but still, I wouldn't expect much if the past is any indication.

Comment

How much are they getting for shrimp? Seems like the commercial guys would need to catch a lot of shrimp just to break even unless they getting a crapload of money/lb. Does anybody know? Just curious how it pays off.
                We never really grow up, we only learn
                how to act in public

Comment

I don't know the price, but given the drop off from well over 100 vessels chasing them the first three days last year to only two chasing them later in the season, I'm guessing it's not very lucrative.

Comment

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...shrimp_updates Doug you can read about the last opener in 2010 . The most boats that fished at one time was 68. Total that fished was 75. The average number of shrimp per pot was around 1.5 pounds. So if you pulled your pots 2 times a day you got 3 pounds of shrimp which is 60 pounds which comes out to 30 pounds of tails and sold them to a tender at $6 a pound you made $180. Peter Pan in Valdez paid $8 a pound. Most boats quit after the first openner.

Comment

Originally posted by captaindd View Post
                      The most boats that fished at one time was 68. Total that fished was 75.
                      Whoops! I drew my number from the total vessel registrations, not the # that actually fished. My mistake - I was skimming a little too quickly.

Comment

Wow. Just take a hand full of 20's and throw it overboard and never leave the slip. I suspect fuel prices will kill the comercial season this year.
                        We never really grow up, we only learn
                        how to act in public

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                          I don't know the price, but given the drop off from well over 100 vessels chasing them the first three days last year to only two chasing them later in the season, I'm guessing it's not very lucrative.
                          There would have to be a huge bio-mass of voracious spots to make ends meet w/ the 20 pot limit. It just doesn't pencil.
                          sigpic

I'm taking a poll
                          <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seward 0 - 10 005.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2478995This is surely a perspective thing. When you look at the cost associated with the harvest to include equipment, operational costs etc it COULD be perceived as bleak. As in most things there's more than meets the eye! I can't imagine the few operating through the entire season were average guys. The average guy's are the ones generating the statistics. The good ones are typically exceeding those catch figures and have found a way to be profitable!
                            Now look at this. If a politician were brought into the mix and shown how he could be perceived as creating employment opportunities" by gaining some government subsidy that would bring the price per pound up to say, $30 per lb, it would be a whole another story.
                            Then if that same politician were an innovative thinker and decided to market the catch ALL OVER THE WORLD as a replacement for Japanese sea food which no one wants, the demand would far exceed the supply. Then the price per pound would naturally rise to meet the demand and the politician could withdraw the subsidies. At this point everyone has won, our commercial shrimpers have gained world wide prominence and everyone sings kumbaya.
                            Then at the newly established price of, say $40 a pound everyone would buy a new boat like Steve's and go commercial! Then we quit singing and go back to shouting cause there's too many commercial guys raping the resource and shoving us little guys out of the picture!

The moral of this story is, if you want factual information stick with Brian who's straight forward, honest approach can be relied on. If on the other hand your after rumor and innuendo, I'm your man. Either way you can always come here expecting to get your needs met.

Were' getting closer!
                            Mike
                            Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-31-2011, 15:15. Reason: Lots of spelling errors

Comment

captaindd,

Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it.

Doug

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X