Whittier Harbor Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whittier Harbor Expansion

I understand the harbor expansion is in trouble right now. They found some very contaminated fill in the harbor when they finished with the sheet pile. I have heard the job will not be done on time. Any other scuttle butt?

None other than when I called the Harbor Master to discuss things it sounded like the whole town was mixing a giant pitcher of Koolaide in the background, nothing out of the ordinary...

could you tell me the source of where you read this earth shattering news?
    sigpic

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

My brother is an engineer and works as a project manger for a big corp. He has access to the job information through work contacts. My understanding is, that the dirt is really dirty, no big surprise, the city has limited monies, again no surprise. As far as the implications to the harbor timeline, and who will be responsible for all the cleanup costs? Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by bkbaker View Post
        My brother is an engineer and works as a project manger for a big corp. He has access to the job information through work contacts. My understanding is, that the dirt is really dirty, no big surprise, the city has limited monies, again no surprise. As far as the implications to the harbor timeline, and who will be responsible for all the cleanup costs? Ouch.
        IMO I would think any contaminated soil would be the Ak Railroads baby. Did I mention that puts the burden on us?
        sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

For no one to consider that the harbor would have petroleum products in the soil seems a little short sighted. How long has this area been used as a harbor? God, think of old style oil changes drained in the harbor as well in the surrounding drainage into the harbor over that time period. The black crap from the idling train engines covering my boats waterline. Someone should have foreseen the contamination.

Comment

SuperFund site in the making??
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
              SuperFund site in the making??
              hahaha :upset::upset:
              Originally posted by bkbaker View Post
              For no one to consider that the harbor would have petroleum products in the soil seems a little short sighted. How long has this area been used as a harbor? God, think of old style oil changes drained in the harbor as well in the surrounding drainage into the harbor over that time period. The black crap from the idling train engines covering my boats waterline. Someone should have foreseen the contamination.
              Maybe the 11 and half million gallons of crude may have had something to do w/ it, in which case the city of Whittier was compensated for from EVOS funds
              sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
                hahaha :upset::upset:

Maybe the 11 and half million gallons of crude may have had something to do w/ it, in which case the city of Whittier was compensated for from EVOS funds
                Yes, yes.... Well played indeed.

Comment

I heard they are just going to raise the launch fee to $50 per launch.

Comment

Sewards looking pretty handy about now

I heard that too and I also heard they're going to start staging the launch lineup in Bear Valley. Lanes 1 thru 4 are for those wanting to launch and lanes 5 thru 8 are for empty trailers that are pulling their boats. Apparently the 50.00 launch fee gets you back thru the tunnel...
                    sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
                      I heard that too and I also heard they're going to start staging the launch lineup in Bear Valley. Lanes 1 thru 4 are for those wanting to launch and lanes 5 thru 8 are for empty trailers that are pulling their boats. Apparently the 50.00 launch fee gets you back thru the tunnel...
                      They could collect a much larger toll for the tunnel if you had to pay it to get OUT of Whittier.
                      "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

Don't be givin' 'em any ideas...
                        Originally posted by northwestalska
                        ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X