Cod and Octopus fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cod and Octopus fishing

I'm not sure about posting etiquette and I didn't want to risk hi-jacking the other octopus thread but I have a few questions.

1. What is the best way to dispatch an octopus? I've never seen a live one.
    2. Do they squirt ink all over the place? If they do, is it difficult to wash off the
    boat/self?
    3. Can recreational fisherpeople catch P. cod with pots/traps?

I remember when K Mart was in Anchorage, I used to get frozen blocks of tiny bay octopus there...I thought they were delicious! Thanks for any help!

1. Make a cut with a knife right between the eyes
    2. See number 1, no ink should squirt
    3. Not that I know of, but they are easy to catch with a jig, or bait.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

The Ink isn't a problem, either for squirting around or washing off, if you leave it, the sun can bake it on to your boat some, but it is easy to wash off, shortly after landing.

The dispatch method is kind of hard to describe, it's called "Turning the cap" where you are basically turning the head inside out,
      There's one cut to be made, a small attaching piece, and you should be able to find it between the two main intake areas underneath the cape.
      If you pick it up by the back/bottom of the head, you'll clearly see this attaching piece, your hand will slide right to it, cut that with your knife and keep pushing the inside out, it's fairly easy to do once you've messed with one or two of 'em

Make that cut, the part that is keeping you from turning it inside out, and it will roll all the innards outside the head area, cut that all out and you are done, or
      a deep cut between the eyes will also work, but you'll still need to turn the cap to process it for freezing.

You can catch Cod with pots but it takes a pot designed specifically for that, large tunnels etc.
      Not sure about the regs, but Cod are pretty wide open to any method you need to harvest them. Commercially anyway
      Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

I pulled up a couple of octopus in the crab pot this past summer and the "knife between the eyes" technique worked well. No ink from either of the two creatures I dispatched. But I did learn that you REALLY need to tenderize these guys even if you boil them for 45 minutes. Tenderize, then boil, then eat...in that order.
        Cliffhanger
        http://www.farnorthpress.com/

Comment

More info here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ill-an-octopus
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by Cliffhanger View Post
            I pulled up a couple of octopus in the crab pot this past summer and the "knife between the eyes" technique worked well. No ink from either of the two creatures I dispatched. But I did learn that you REALLY need to tenderize these guys even if you boil them for 45 minutes. Tenderize, then boil, then eat...in that order.
            ROGER THAT! And what every you do, don't boil them and then fry them. Unless you plan on using them as a weapon! Sushi is my fav w/octopuss.
            Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X