No announcement yet.

Super light jigging setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a pretty sturdy and stout rod there fullbush, hope you enjoy it! Though I'm not sure if it fits into the super light jigging category

Comment

Originally posted by kthomas View Post
      Sounds like a pretty sturdy and stout rod there fullbush, hope you enjoy it! Though I'm not sure if it fits into the super light jigging category
      DAWG GONEIT!

Its as light as I figured I should go to handle halibut. When I think of a "super light" jigging rod I think of a rod that won't fatigue my wrist and arm when I'm jigging, like the telephone pole I have been using, I get tired just reeling up my dang jig. When I drop my line my ultimate goal is to snaffu a halibut. All I usually end up w/ is rockfish though and yeah its pretty stout for them.
      sigpic

I'm taking a poll
      <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

I'm sure it is a great rod fullbush, don't get me wrong! I have a rod that is probably considered similar to it, my trevala 58xh. Although it is pretty light for jigging, I want something lighter, smaller and rated for a lot less. This rod is going to be spooled with 30lb line, to target lingcod. Not quite a halibut setup, though maybe i'll try it for some just for giggles. Just a fun little rod for the smaller bottomfish, but with enough backbone to manage to bring some of them slightly bigger ones up (50lbs). So you can see we have different goals for our setups.

I'm sure your rod will fit your bill just fine, let us know how you like it!

Comment

Paul I went onto Ebay to check out the lures and it seems the heaviest jigs are 7oz.

Do jigs hold bottom better than lead+weight?

thanks

Originally posted by Paul H View Post
          Lings aren't picky.

I did catch this one

With one of these

They used to be cheap on e-bay, but all the ones I got were lost to the rocks. The benthos are nice jigs, and I picked up a few more from a mixed assortment of jigs off of craigslist.

roughly 3-9 oz and covers most applications
          Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Comment

Sodabiscuit: jigs hold bottom better than the same lead weight because all you got is the jig! With a leade weight(sinker), you usually have a big bait creating drag and sometimes flotation, plut the extra rigging for the bait hook including big swivels etc.

5-7 oz is my favorite jig weight for halibut and lings using a jig like Paul H showed, but if you have a rubber curly tail on it then you might need a heavier leadhead to stay on the bottom. For really strong current, or to get to the bottom fast before the rocky's hit it, I'll use a 10oz or heavier. Got my first 20oz jig this year to try, probably get tired of it real quick though! Another jig that's fast becoming my favorite is the Williamson Vortex....it's shape gives it extra flutter when you butterfly jig it, also on the drop. And, they are a little wider and shorter for the same weight that the Abyss or other needle jigs. With their top-mounted stinger hook, I rarely snag.

Back to the original purpose of this thread, for a light jigging setup, which I believe I could catch a 300 lb halibut on with the right amount of patience is a Penn International 975 filled with 50lb PowerPro on an 8' Shimano 15-40lb graphite Cennan rod, a 1-piece, wouldn't want to try a 2-piece graphite rod putting the torque of a barndoor on it. My son has the same rod with a Abu Garcia Revo Toro reel, same line, that is an awesome jigging reel! The Penn Int'l has been put to the test, the Revo we will see, no big fish on it yet but it was a reel-pleasure to use last year! Not quite up to the quality of the one-piece machined aluminum reels like the Avets, but these two reels are level wind and I think that is a big plus with superbraid to keep it from binding, and also for my old knuckles which ache when I have to thumb-spool the line to get it even.

Both reels are fairly fast retrieve, in fact the Revo is the high-speed model, I use the rod to bring the fish in, and after I pump I want to be able to reel fast while I drop the rod for another pull. So, I can't see the use of a low-ratio reel or a 2-speed except for rookie clients on charters where they need the low gear because they lay the rod on the gunnel and crank. Well, I guess it might be easier to just crank up a bait or heavy jig without pumping if you have the low gear, but I just pump those up too. I cannot imagine breaking an ugly stick tiger rod on a fish, or any rod for that matter, unless the drag is set WAY too tight, and I've caught a lot of big fish on light rods (and a LOT of little fish on big rods

Comment

Originally posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
              Paul I went onto Ebay to check out the lures and it seems the heaviest jigs are 7oz.

Do jigs hold bottom better than lead+weight?

thanks
              Send the seller an e-mail, he's had heavier jigs in the past and might just not currently have them listed. I just got some extended cranks for my tld 15's from him, he's a good guy to deal with and will make package deals on jigs. Honestly if just got a pile of the 7 oz jigs you'd be doing good.

Jigs hold bottom way better than lead and bait. I've seen 16 oz leadheads hold bottom when 2-3#'s of lead and bait has trouble holding bottom.
              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

nice. Thanks for the replies Ron & Paul. Im gonna get a few jigs and try this summer.
                Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Comment

For those of you who are jogging with braided line, are you running a monofillament leader? If so, what line type/weight, what length, and what knot are you using to tie it to the braided line?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 300 Ultra View Post
                    For those of you who are jogging with braided line, are you running a monofillament leader? If so, what line type/weight, what length, and what knot are you using to tie it to the braided line?

Thanks.
                    It`s really just a matter of preference. I run some rigs like 16oz. jigs with a 32" 400# mono leader when on high side boats but when in my Achilles I run it at about 20"....it`s just something to grab onto without getting cut. Another thing I do for speed jigs is a 3 line braided 40# leader of about the same length...enables getting some rebound when hung on the bottom and saves lures. The downside to braiding mono is it has quite a bit of stretch and you can miss some fish. In all reality any 150+# mono rig of 24" length will sufice for most situations.
                    sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Thanks.
                      50 pound braid with anything from 50 to 20 pound flourocarbon or mono usually with an albright knot. Has worked so far. Relatively easy to tie. About 2/3 of the rod length. Mainly for rock and teeth abrasion and something to hold when landing the "normal" sized stuff.

Comment

Thanks.
                        I used to run straight to corkscrew swivel (and still do when I get a jig stuck and break off so I'm quickly back to fishing) but now I run 6-10' of 50 or 80# mono. Even with a 10' length you don't loose the sensativity of the braid, but you get some stretch and hence shock absorbing when the fish runs, abrasion resistance against teeth and rocks (braid has very poor abrasion resistance) and a line you can grab to land the fish w/o getting cut. I've used a variety of knots to connect the mono, and my favorite when I have time pre season is to make up wind on leaders and a bimmini twist to connect it to the braid.

Test whatever knot you use on a scale, my son's science project was to compare knots connecting braid to leaders and the wrong knot, or a knot tied incorectly can result in the connection failing at 1/2 the rated strength of the line. He tested 20# power pro and 20# mono line and 20# mono leader. The mono and leader would fail at 21-22# when tested by themselves, the pp was failing at about 19# by itself, and mono/braid knots failed between 9 and 17#. The surgeons knot won based on being easy to tie consistantly, and failing at consistant levels.
                        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by AK2AZ View Post
                          It`s really just a matter of preference. I run some rigs like 16oz. jigs with a 32" 400# mono leader when on high side boats but when in my Achilles I run it at about 20"....it`s just something to grab onto without getting cut. Another thing I do for speed jigs is a 3 line braided 40# leader of about the same length...enables getting some rebound when hung on the bottom and saves lures. The downside to braiding mono is it has quite a bit of stretch and you can miss some fish. In all reality any 150+# mono rig of 24" length will sufice for most situations.
                          Ak2AZ: running those short, thick mono leaders, do you use a barrel swivel to tie to braid? Seems like a direct knot to thin 50/65-80 lb superbraid to mono about 1/8" thick would be nearly impossible! Do you use a palomar know to swivel then to jig? Last question: where do you get such heavy mono without spending $$$ on a big spool....and I DO like your suggestions!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H View Post

Test whatever knot you use on a scale, my son's science project was to compare knots connecting braid to leaders and the wrong knot, or a knot tied incorectly can result in the connection failing at 1/2 the rated strength of the line. He tested 20# power pro and 20# mono line and 20# mono leader. The mono and leader would fail at 21-22# when tested by themselves, the pp was failing at about 19# by itself, and mono/braid knots failed between 9 and 17#. The surgeons knot won based on being easy to tie consistantly, and failing at consistant levels.
                            Uh...can we just buy the report?

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
                              Ak2AZ: running those short, thick mono leaders, do you use a barrel swivel to tie to braid? Seems like a direct knot to thin 50/65-80 lb superbraid to mono about 1/8" thick would be nearly impossible! Do you use a palomar know to swivel then to jig? Last question: where do you get such heavy mono without spending $$$ on a big spool....and I DO like your suggestions!!
                              My preference is 3' of 150# Jinkai mono tied to a barrel swive with a uni knot. I double the braid with a "Rose Knot" which is tied like a simple overhand knot, but with the loop passed through 7 times. I tie the double line to the swivel with a uni knot. I like Jinkai because it is soft enough so you don't need goriilla arms to tie knots in it. Also, it is sold in 100 yd coils.

BIg_E

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
                                I use an offshore swivel knot from braid to corkscrew swivel. I think you can get the 50-100 yard spool from B&Js fairly cheap...I don`t use it for strength, just for a good grip when hauling `em in over the rail. Again, depending on the weight of the rig dictates how heavy and long I go with the mono. Hope that helps a bit.
                                http://www.netknots.com/html/offshore_swivel_knot.html
                                http://www.compleatangler.biz/Knots/OffShoreSwivel.htm
                                http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Berk...-bglc-line.htm
                                sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X