No announcement yet.

Super light jigging setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out the fishincomfort folks, they're the ones I got those jigs from, and he'll knock off a few bucks if you get them in qunatities.

This thread is getting me more and more stoked to get back out on the water and catch some fish!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H View Post
      Check out the fishincomfort folks, they're the ones I got those jigs from, and he'll knock off a few bucks if you get them in qunatities.

This thread is getting me more and more stoked to get back out on the water and catch some fish!
      Thanks paul, I'll check them out.

Tell me about! This past week I have been craving big time to get back out on the water...

Comment

This is another great thread. I'm with you Paul and kthomas. I can't stop thinking about getting back on the water and hopefully quick. Keep the info coming.
        sigpic

Comment

You guys are KILLIN' me to get on the water to try my new 58xxh trevala, and some williamson jigs bought at B-n-J's. Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!

Usually a soaker myslef, but excited about doing a lot more jigging this year. Anything different would likely improve my results.

Thanks for the great insight guys!

Comment

Avet MXJ w 80lbs spectra, 5'10" Saltiga Jigging Rod.

This isn't a super light jigging setup, but I have found it to be VERY versatile for Alaskan waters. The rod is sensitive enough to use smaller jiggs and sling rockfish, but also has plenty of backbone to use 12-16oz Mudrakers chasing flatties. My only complaint w the Saltiga rod is that the reel seat is a little small, but for most reels thats not a problem.

Be careful dedicated "soakers" cuz once you start jigging you'll never go back!!!!

Comment

I am definitely not resistant to change. Besides I HAVE to do something about my catch rate. Me, soaker, suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
                I have a 6'6"Shimano Trevala rated for 75-200 gram jigs and 30-80lbs braid with a Avet SX 2speed loaded with 50 pound braid. I wouldn't call it ultralight but it feels like its half of the weight of a "NORMAL" halibut setup. It's lighter in weight than any of my other Kenai River King Salmon gear. Haven't caught any monsters on it but its a blast and you can fish it all day. Doubles up as a decent bottom bouncing rod for Kings on the Kenai.

Good to see the rod holding up to a #180 pounder in the post by AK2AZ.
                where do i get one of these set ups complete W/ line?
                sigpic

I'm taking a poll
                <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

B&J in Anchorage can set you up.
                  Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stranded_Herp View Post

Be careful dedicated "soakers" cuz once you start jigging you'll never go back!!!!
                    +1!

I have been a dedicated bait fisherman all my life. but years of observing fish under the ice during the winter months where I typically use one baited and one jigged, has led me to believe that 90% of the time the jigged lure catches more and bigger predatory fish in clear water. Bait definitely helps your odds in silty waters such as the Kenai River.

I now fish bait only when I want to be lazy. And even then if there is even a one foot chop, I will just put scent on the jig and put it in the rod holder. Caught plenty of fish that way too. One reason I like bait fishing is the "tap tap tap...hook set" the anticipation. I have found jigging to be exactly the same. A lot of fish, they hit and they are on solid immediately. But just as often, it's a lot like bait fishing when you feel the fish attacking the jig but the hook misses. They must like the jigs since once I feel a fish, it seems like 90% of the time it keeps striking till I hook it.

Comment

I'm another of the "once you start jigging you'll never go back" crowd.

Fairly simple setup: 6' 40/80 lb Ande with a Quantum Cabo 'something' running 80lb PowerPro. Chose this setup for no better reason than it was lightweight, yet enough backbone for 20oz jigs.

Something new to throw into the mix: I was out fishing last year with another dedicated 'jigger' and he was running a long-handled, custom rod with an avet reel (not sure on model). Both of our rods were light in weight, so we could jig all day; however the long handle on his made jigging (and especially the retreival) much easier. After swapping with him for 20-30 mins, it really was hard to go back to my rod and not wish it too had a longer handle.

If circumstances allow, I will be picking up a similar setup before I hit the water.

-- Gambler

Comment

DAG NABBIT! I went to B&J yesterday and forgot what I was supposed to get! You guys are gonna kill me but I got what I thought might be a dandy. So here it is, the rod- uglystick tiger lite 5'8"rated for 100-200lb braided line and a 8-14oz lure weight. The reel- okuma solterrra 15LX loaded w/ 65lb. power braid. 265.00 out the door w/ some cool bait set-ups w/ dual hook mono leader and a cool mono leader jig set up w/ cork screw swivels I was going to purchase the super expensive rod that looked comparable to the uglystick. I asked the salesman what one would handle the most abuse and he said the uglystick so thats what I went w/. Comments, criticisms or suggestions??
                        sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

You did good. Those are probably one of the nicest rods for the price. I've had alot of Ugly sticks and never had any problems with them. The one I walked into a door with and broke the tip the repaired for free even after I told them it was my fault. Can't beat that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
                            DAG NABBIT! I went to B&J yesterday and forgot what I was supposed to get! You guys are gonna kill me but I got what I thought might be a dandy. So here it is, the rod- uglystick tiger lite 5'8"rated for 100-200lb braided line and a 8-14oz lure weight. The reel- okuma solterrra 15LX loaded w/ 65lb. power braid. 265.00 out the door w/ some cool bait set-ups w/ dual hook mono leader and a cool mono leader jig set up w/ cork screw swivels I was going to purchase the super expensive rod that looked comparable to the uglystick. I asked the salesman what one would handle the most abuse and he said the uglystick so thats what I went w/. Comments, criticisms or suggestions??
                            I don't know about the tiger rods, but my issue with Ugly sticks, especially for jigging has been they are too slow of an action. I.e you lift 3 ft on an upstroke, the ugly stick bends about 2 ft of it and the lure moves maybe one foot. An ugly stick wore me flat out bottom bouncing for kings one time I used it. Maybe the tiger rods are faster action than the standard ugly sticks? Well for the rating, maybe it is pretty stout. Because they tend to be indestructible, they also seem to weigh a LOT more than jig specific rods.

I will say they are bulletproof. Having owned several and when we used to backtroll kings a lot instead of back bouncing, they were hard to beat for novice king fisherman. I saw only one snap and it exploded when a king charged a buddies feet and the rod bent almost in a circle before exploding with a sound comparable to a 30-06 it seemed like at the time.

Man Fullbush, I got to go fishing with you if you consider this a super light jigging setup. You must catch some MONSTER fish on your meat rods. lol.

Comment

Forgot to add, let us know how ya like it. I have heard ugly sticks have really widened their range of rods since I really used them a lot.

Comment

Buddy this rod is the absolute shizznit! Its only 5'8" and hella stout. I dunno I think it'll be a dandy.
                                sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X