Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami WATCH

Stay safe folks in Homer/Kodiak
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

3:42 am. Local Hawaiian time; nothing to report from Kauai.
    Jim
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Comment

No real damage observed in Adak, AK. But fueling of vessels have stopped after crews report the water rising and falling about 5 to 6 ft every 15 minutes or so. That seems consistent with the long periods in between Tsunami waves. So its not huge, but imagine how much energy it takes to lift an entire bay of water by several ft. Anyone at sea level should at least be aware that something could happen. The first wave was supposed to Hit Adak around 12:30 Alaska Standard time so there are still some effects.

Comment

fear tactics.
        "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Wow, I feel sorry for the people in Japan, they realy got slammed.
          May God Bless The USA!
          If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

Comment

Given the fact that I can pee off my deck and hit ocean on a high tide, I appreciate the fact that they are willing to give warnings when stuff like this happens.
            Alaska Wide Open Charters
            www.alaskawideopen.com
            907-965-0130

Comment

270ti
              remind me never to go swimming off your deck......
              2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
              5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Comment

One interesting aspect I found on West Coast & Alaska's Tsunami Warning Center's site http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/faq/frequently.php
                is what to do if you are at sea when an event occurs. I often wondered...
                From FAQ's:
                In deep water (greater than 600 feet), tsunamis are rarely over 3 feet and will not be noticed by ships due to their long period (time between crests).
                Mariners in deep water (600 feet or greater) should stay at sea.
                Those in shallow water or harbors should move to deep water if there is enough time and weather conditions are suitable.

Comment

Yep. You can be in deep water and have a tsunami wave pass you by at hundreds of miles per hour, and at a height of only a few inches or feet at the most, and never notice it. It's not until it gets near land and the sea floor rises up that things become bad.

Comment

Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
                    fear tactics.
                    Tell that to the people who lost there boats in Brookings, Cresent City and Santa Cruz.

Comment

Supposedly this is the tsunami effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
                        Tell that to the people who lost there boats in Brookings, Cresent City and Santa Cruz.
                        With the first wave watch 12:00 am akst those folks had plenty of time to get those boats to deep water or out of the water. Not much sympathy here.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
                        Unknown author

Comment

FRED BEAR AND JUST A LITTLE WAVE

If you are bowhunter you know the name. Fred and I were personal friends during the 70's and he was a guest at my wedding. Florida is hardly near the Pacific Rim, yet when Fred and his daughter were out walking the beach on the gulf coast where he had a condo, the two of them were picked up by a mere two footer and were cast into the sea oats and nasty sand spurs and were literally swept into the bushes and Florida scrub.

Fred was so steamed he sold his condo, and redecided to contruct his museum not on the gulf coast but inland hundreds of miles away.

Such was the surge that carried Fred away years ago...

Rosenberg/Florida
                          "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Comment

Originally posted by jkb View Post
                            Not much sympathy here.
                            I am not saying you should or shouldn't have. I am saying that those warnings should be taken seriously. The media over hypes Tsunami warnings but people who choose to live in possible impact zones should still be prepared. I wouldn't call a Tsunami warning a fear tactic that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
                              I am not saying you should or shouldn't have. I am saying that those warnings should be taken seriously. The media over hypes Tsunami warnings but people who choose to live in possible impact zones should still be prepared. I wouldn't call a Tsunami warning a fear tactic that's all.
                              Many people were told before Hurricane katrina that a storm with the lowest barometric pressure in recorded history was on its way and they should leave. Many were stubborn and didn't and now they are still waaa waaing about it.

My comment on 'fear tactics' was more towards AK.
                              "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X