"old frozen herring/achovies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "old frozen herring/achovies?

hey guys!...cleaned out the freezer, now that my buddy came and got his bear garlic coil from last spring, and was wondering about frozen herring that was in there too!...it is not really old i guess, august of last year from one of our ocean trips, but was wondering how long you can keep your bait?....1-2 or more years?..do halibut really care if a herring is 3 years old?...what about if the bait was thawed , then refrozen?.....thanks larry
    sigpic
    29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I recycle it into part of my shrimp bait recipe!

Comment

You can get old bait to fish if you soak it in a pro cure herring oil/salt mix.
      Alaska Wide Open Charters
      www.alaskawideopen.com
      907-965-0130

Comment

Long as it's not freezer burned (yellow), it fishes fine.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

I use herring that looks a bit freezer burned as part of my chum bombs. Cut it up small and mix it in with the fresh, seems to work great for that purpose.

Comment

ok good, glad i didn;t throw it out!. i do have some of that pro cure herring stuff, havnt used any of it yet!....

.....another question about bait....i watched a show the other day and the guide soaked his herring in milk, said it fished better(?), and condesned milk worked too?....any of you guys do that?...thanks again larry(getting snowed in, the worst in 20 years-- in PG, BC Canada:upset
            sigpic

Comment

I use the method in this link and have had great results, I then freeze them in vacuum bags in the amount I use at one time to keep from thawing and freezing them over and over. I never throw any away, just use them for shrimp bait or the chum bag.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

Won't be long and I will be digging some out of the freezer myself.

Tight lines

Steve
              "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Resort I work at always has bait left over at the end of the season, that bait always gets used up first at the start of the next season. Its not the bait I want in July when the big boys are around but for the cookie cutter May/June feeder kings and halibut, it works fine.

Comment

Stid, you think you could use that technique to firm out last years bait or should it just be used with fresh bought bait? Awesome link so thanks for posting.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by patrickL View Post
                    Stid, you think you could use that technique to firm out last years bait or should it just be used with fresh bought bait? Awesome link so thanks for posting.
                    I don't see that it would hurt to try. I have brined and smoked some year old reds with good results. I also use a syringe and basting needle to inject herring oil and garlic into herring with good results, like that gum that skirts when you chew it.
                    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Originally posted by AkKings View Post
                      Resort I work at always has bait left over at the end of the season, that bait always gets used up first at the start of the next season. Its not the bait I want in July when the big boys are around but for the cookie cutter May/June feeder kings and halibut, it works fine.
                      Yep. I spent a few seasons early in my guiding years working for a cheapskate who would buy leftover herring on the cheap for us to use. I tell you what, it made a huge difference in how many kings our clients would catch verses how many other guides would be hooking up on. Once we started soaking them in that pro cure overnight, we started catching at the same rate as everybody else.

Nothing is as frustrating as being in a hot king bite, and having old bait and getting 1/3 of the bites as everybody else...
                      Alaska Wide Open Charters
                      www.alaskawideopen.com
                      907-965-0130

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                        I use the method in this link and have had great results, I then freeze them in vacuum bags in the amount I use at one time to keep from thawing and freezing them over and over. I never throw any away, just use them for shrimp bait or the chum bag.

Tight lines

Steve

That looks better than the bait I paid bid dollars for!

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post

Tight lines

Steve
                          steve, thanks for the link! ....so the milk is a 'firmer upper"!!!:topjob:.......awesome!!!......good point about letting the water "gas off" over night,,i do the same thing for make up water for the fish tank, only i go about 48 hours for the chlorine to leave the h2o!.....ready to treat some herring! thanks guys!!........larry
                          sigpic

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X